ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

R888's in September......

Westy. MX5
:D It will all come out in the wash, as they say. A couple of months till Sept. so don't rush any decision.

M2 Competition
Ive said this in every tyre thread so far, but Goodyear Eagle f1 assymetrics.

By far the best tyres ive tried for fast road use, and ive tried a fair few. Soooo much grip, seem to score top marks in tyre tests too.

In september you want tyres that will be decent in the wet as well as the dry!

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member

By far the best tyres ive tried for fast road use, and ive tried a fair few. Soooo much grip, seem to score top marks in tyre tests too.

Are those f1's G3DS'... ?

I run 4 on the FRP. Treemendous tyre.

Not a 320d
:D It will all come out in the wash, as they say. A couple of months till Sept. so don't rush any decision.

Im not. Really appreciate the comments. Keep them coming.

Are these for a 1.6 GT?

Ja.

Compared to what. Its not like a belt it in winter like i do in summer.

b/g 182, meg tourer
sounds like you are or should be on a bit of a budget. if so going for 888's would be silly imo. i would go for t1-r's, hankook v12's. something like that.

RB 182 Cup
i was looking into getting a set as mine need changine soon, they do a couple different compounds so thinking hard for everyday use? or even medium as i only use it at the weekends for a few hours

Mk2 172
Rofl. How exactly are they between a road tyre and a track tyre? They are nothing of the sort. They are a road tyre, that's pish in the wet.
Try hankook rs2's. Brilliant, and actually a road suitable semi track tyre. T1r's would be pretty much my last choice as a tyre. Rather conti's, f1's, v12 evo's, pirelli's.

I have to agree T1R's are a dry road tyre and thats it!!! R888's are in a different league on both dry road and track, i know ive used both.
If u want a good track/dry road tyre which does happen to work perfectly well throughout winter(just take care sometime) then buy R888's, If you want just a dry road tyre get T1R's. If ur gonna use it mainly on road come rain or shine then just go for PE2's, IMO they are a great all rounder!! :) RS2's are pretty good choice too as have a stiff sidewall so can be used on track and work better than any road tyre!!

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
Why are people even talking about t1r's in a performance tyre thread.

They are cheap and not bad, they shouldn't be mentioned alongside r888's or even pe2's!

Thanks Warren, I wasn't sure if they stopped doing the gsd3's and superseeded them.

I'll have a gander at those new ones.

Black Clio GT
toby tbh you have a fair few mm left and by the time you need to change them it ill be snowing again lol.

if your planning on doing a few trackdays next year get yourself the f1s/contis, in the spring. they will be better than the primacys as they are rock hard and designed to last years for the average joe driver where as the contis/f1s are more of a performance tyre so imo and upgrade over standard.
spend the £200 you save from not buying r888s on some track tuition and move onto r888s/cut slick when you are out performing good road tyres.

last time i wanted new tyres it was nigh on impossible to get GSD3's due to them getting replaced :( so im running Bridgestone Turunzas which seam to do the job well :)

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
didnt have time to read all 4 pages but you do realise how quick R888's wear?

personally for a road car i swear by T1-R's i used to be F1 GSD3's but they got expensive and at £29 a corner for 15" you cant beat T1-R's

got PE2's on the 172 but ill probably replace them with T1-R's

jenic

ClioSport Club Member
I've read that they can suffer from cracking in cold weather conditions, maybe be something to watch out for if your getting them towards the end of the year, especially if we have any more crazy winter weather.

See here http://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/Article/Toyo-R888-warning.htm

I'm looking into getting a spare set of wheels with some on for doing trackdays.

From the article:

DURING SUB-FREEZING CONDITIONS said:
1. Do not operate the car with these tires, as the tires may suddenly fail.
2. Always store these tires indoors at temperatures above 32°F (0°C).
3. Before mounting or dismounting, store these tires for at least 24 hours in a temperaturecontrolled environment
of 68°F (20°C) or warmer.
4. Remove these tires from the vehicle and deflate to half the normal air pressure during prolonged periods of non-
use or storage.
5. Do not move a car that is in storage with these tires, as the tires may crack.

To be fair there is a sticker on the tyres when you buy them saying the above.

Clio 17
To be fair there is a sticker on the tyres when you buy them saying the above.

Must admit I never noticed the sticker on the last set I had.

No harm in making a point of it though. Would be a shame for someone to buy a set hoping to run them all year round, only to find theres a safety issue after they'd been delivered.

Cheers

Clio 172 Cup
got 195 45 16 T1-Rs on my 172 Cup - set quick enough times hillclimbing in the wet or dry - only got them on the front though as it has original Contis on the rear still