ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

R14 CUP - Clio Cup Project

R14 CUP
Any updates, Jamie?!

Unfortunately so.

Had the car in yesterday to start with the work. Some positives, mostly negatives though.

Ball joints are in and fitted - knocking gone. I didn't actually get any pictures, but they are group n ball joints and don't look any different to normal. They cost £58, and I'd recommend everyone to buy them. Genuine renault, uprated over standard item, and cheaper than buying a pair of lower arms.

The brakes, aren't so promising, fitted the discs all well and good. My DS2500's are also cooked, so Feirny has ordered me some Pagid RS4-2 Blues, should be here next week.

Also fitted braided good ridge hoses and the new ATE fluid, and this is where it starts to go downhill.

The rear brakes won't get any fluid to the rear, the compensator valve has stuck shut and won't allow any fluid through. My major concern is, when I then get the brake fluid through that I'm gonna have issues with seized calipers. I don't know how long the efficiency has been like this, but it's always read low on brake rollers at test time. I'm also gonna need discs and pads on the rear. All expense I didn't really expect when planning on changing front brakes.

Oh well, once it's sorted the brakes will be even better than before, and by god it stopped well before!!

R14 CUP
y5etytab.jpg

ehu6yse6.jpg

Djw John

Scotland - South
ClioSport Area Rep
Now I might be way off the mark here but with the axle hanging down then the compensator is going to be closed off. Try jack the axle up and bleeding them again.

PS I held those DS2500s whilst Dave grinded the ends down to size!

Gaz85

ClioSport Club Member
  330e, golf r, EP3 s4
Now I might be way off the mark here but with the axle hanging down then the compensator is going to be closed off. Try jack the axle up and bleeding them again.

that you did john!

Cups don't have the link fitted so body/Axel position has no bearing on pressure.

Djw John

Scotland - South
ClioSport Area Rep
So what about the compensater valve? Is thg just fixed rate and makes no difference if the car is loaded or not? (Never looked into it!)

R14 CUP
Yeah, it's not connected, we've tried manually adjusting it by hand. It's a really bad design flaw by Renault tbh, so much of an after thought. I can see 3 options moving forward.

1. New compensator
2. Bypassing it - not sure if that will put too much bias to the rear though
3. Rerouting the brake pipes and adding a manual bias valve (I'd love to do this, but not sure if the gains are really worth it.)

Yeah, it's not connected, we've tried manually adjusting it by hand. It's a really bad design flaw by Renault tbh, so much of an after thought. I can see 3 options moving forward.

1. New compensator
2. Bypassing it - not sure if that will put too much bias to the rear though
3. Rerouting the brake pipes and adding a manual bias valve (I'd love to do this, but not sure if the gains are really worth it.)

1. or 3. Do you track it?

And iirc Feirny works for ECP... Did he get you the Pagid Blue's through them? I'm in the motor trade so could be handy to know if they can get bits like that :)

R14 CUP
Yeah, I do track it occasionally - in swaying much closer to number one. Don't think 3 will be all that worthwhile.

Yeah, Feirny works at ECP and is supplying me the pagids. I was fairly surprised that he could get them. Always good to know.

Yeah, I do track it occasionally - in swaying much closer to number one. Don't think 3 will be all that worthwhile.

Yeah, Feirny works at ECP and is supplying me the pagids. I was fairly surprised that he could get them. Always good to know.

For ease I'd say number 1. Probably going to be a few quid to do number 3 once you've bought the bias valve and lines etc. then you've still got to work out fitting. Effort!

And that's very handy to know, I didn't think they could get things like that !

R14 CUP
I've always been able to get majority of the things I need through the factors. I've always been able to get uprated products because there only supplied through the same suppliers anyway, as the normal products.

I've bought Mintex M1144/55's, Brembo discs, fluids, lines etc through factors.

I did have a quick chat to foxy the other night about running a bias valve inside the car, I'm just waiting on some finer details back from him. It's still an option, albeit it'll be an expensive / headache option!!

R14 CUP
You got better seats in this yet, Jamie?

Not yet, I eventually intend to buy a pair of Profi SPG's, it's just a matter of money.

Plus one of the trendlines doesn't recline forwards, so that's probably halved the value of them.

R14 CUP
Pagid RS4-2 Blues are at work waiting for me - yay!

Going to get a Loads sensing valve ordered up this week too. :)

R14 CUP
Had a few horrible weeks with the thing recently...!

Had ad all the brake issues last month, got all them sorted now thankfully.

Then had an issue with a misfire, changed the plugs and coil pack, no better. Tested ECU on snap-on machine at work and came up with P0202 - injector 2 open circuit. So bought a new injector from Renparts - £29, fitted it this morning. All sorted misfire gone and running on all 4.

EML is still on dash, but suspect dormant code in ECU from before, only all codes that came up was for fast fan speed, so nothing particularly to worry about.

i love it again now :)

Clio 172 Cup
I've put Snap On diagnostics on many 172's and 172 cup and the fast fan speed code came up on all of them lol....

R14 CUP
Yeah, wasn't particularly worried about that fault code and knew it had no resemblance to the misfire issue I had.

Going to take it back into work, and check it all over again. Get the fault codes deleted out.

Fingers crossed we're all sorted, but it's great to have it back.

R14 CUP
Spent quite a bit of time on this over the last few weekends.

I've fixed the drivers recaro trendline, the tilt and recline had stopped working. Anyway I've fixed that and it's all working, but whilst trying to repair it I damaged one of the clips for the slide function when the seat is tilted, so I'm going to get a cable ordered from Capital.

I've sorted out a minor water leak, that had started to make the interior smell a bit 'off', anyway, it was the two seals next to the lights, both were freely moving, so sealed them up bathroom & kitchen silicone sealant - job jobbed.

And finally, I have fixed the speedometer intermittently not working, replaced the speedo sensor, and it's all ok. Thanks for Feirny for supplying the part.

I've also found a 2nd hand brake load sensor for it too, £15 - so will get that collected within the week.

Oh, trackday booked for end of March @ Cadwell.

ajy6yry9.jpg

adahe3eh.jpg

a7e8yze4.jpg

R14 CUP
Had quite a few bits and pieces done on this recently.

Had the compensator fitted about a week ago, thankfully the rear calipers were in good order and not seized. I kept the old discs and pads on, they seem to be clearing up a bit too.

I've also had my rear arb adjusted onto the stiffest setting, seems to have made a marginal difference, so I will leave it as it is.

Also fitted my new AD08R's today, I'm so impressed with them, there is so much more grip than I ever had with the old hankooks, plus they look Very pretty.

evequ8un.jpg

I did a track day at Cadwell a week ago today, car was very good - however I this is what prompted me to buy the tyres!!
9ege7umu.jpg

gynety3y.jpg

upa2azy2.jpg

Plans wise now, I need to sort out my weeping selector shaft seal, going to order one of the Seal repair kits from Fred.

Then I'm going to enjoy the car over the summer, unless a well priced LSD becomes available.

Good times.

R14 CUP
Right, need people's thoughts on what to do with my car.

I have a dilemma. I have always run with rear seats in the car (never really have passengers in the back though).

The dilemma is; do I take the rear seats out and put a cage in or not.

In the past I have always maintained that I don't want to take the car beyond the point of no return.

If I went and put a cage in it, obviously it would go beyond that point.

The dilemma then goes onto another stage - if I put a cage in, I'd want new seats. The trendlines are lovely seats for a fast road / occasional track car. I'd want Recaro Profi SPG's in there, which would be pretty much self funded by the sale of the trendlines.

Also, if I put in a cage, I'm essentially turning it into a track car. I think the most important thing for me is - I think the car is too good for a track car.

If I was to put a cage in it, I'd need it to look as OEM as possible like a R26R does. I don't want bare metal floors exposed for example.

What's people's thoughts? What would you do if you want in my shoes?!

Gaz85

ClioSport Club Member
  330e, golf r, EP3 s4
Get better seats, the recaros although they look good are terrible for track work, I loved looking at them when I had this but meh they don't hold you enough. Keep the carpets and stuff if you go cage believe me lol

R14 CUP
pu4e9u5e.jpg

Used these properly for the first time today, went to see my dad and took the B roads to see him, my god does it handle well now.

On the old Hankooks you'd get a vague feeling once it gets to it's limit, these just seem to dig in further and offer even more grip.

Car is crying out for an Quaife now :(