ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Project: Chav

Rb 182
Been doing a few bits and bobs to the chav, still not replacing the ball joints that need done http://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=e...D46zhAg&ved=0CCYQvwUoAQ&q=desperately&spell=1desperately.

Mostly removing tar and fitting the drivers side bucket and harness (pass seat removed completly now since pic)

DSC00573.jpg

DSC00576.jpg

DSC00578.jpg

Started cleaning up the mess left by the tar with some Auto Glym tar remover, not a fun job, but I managed to rope John into doing most of the tar removing and cleaning up. Makes quite a mess of your cloths.

DSC00586.jpg

Thats it so far. Still going well, bar the really high suspension, i'll probably put my lowering springs back on till i can save for coilovers or eibachs and better shocks. Once the tars all cleaned out and the pass seat fitted i'll be getting it weighed to see what savings have been made from the book figures, then i'll get the grinder out.

BREMBO

ClioSport Club Member
  V6 Mk1, Golf GTI Mk5
Looks good mate.

Dont suppose you have a part number for the number plate light?

Djw John

Scotland - South
ClioSport Area Rep
Just looked up the service history for the flamer for you Ben, back in 08 it was 7700410754 and £10.74 inc vat. I gave Dave the cover so he wont have a part number for it.

PB Clio 172
the project name is funny, I like the stickers on the windows :p It could be worse you could have sparco or DC stickers on it ! Look forward to see what you do with it !

Rb 182
the project name is funny, I like the stickers on the windows :p It could be worse you could have sparco or DC stickers on it ! Look forward to see what you do with it !

It just has scratches where the used to be, removing them with a sharpened hacksaw blade probably wasnt the best way to go.

Rb 182
Just thought i'd update this thread with some pics. I've now done 1k in it, seems pretty quick but not had much chance to push it with the weather and the mix of borrowed snow tyres on the front and borrowed Falken ditchfinders on the rear. The engine isn't the strongest, with some kind of top end death rattle that i'm trying to ignore. When it goes bang i'll be looking for a better engine.

Outside

DSC00599.jpg

I know its soo high, i'll be putting some lowering springs on that we've got lying around untill i can find a coilover bargain.

Inside

DSC00600.jpg

C+C welcome.

TT QS
Love this thread and car.

Have you mounted the seat on runners or is it just mounted (sorry if that sounds retarded)
I have the same seats to go in mine but abit unsure what to do with them

Djw John

Scotland - South
ClioSport Area Rep
They're mounted on runners which are on subframes, heavy but low. Will go onto sidemounts eventually.

We did a bit more today to it and I'll let Dave update with whatever pics he has, he's doing the outside jobs just now and I'm concentrating on emptying the inside!

First 3 pics are from a few weeks ago now but so how much tar is on the floor alone

DSCF0584Medium.jpg

DSCF0585Medium.jpg

DSCF0586Medium.jpg

And as it stands today,

Removed all the roof tar which was by far my least favourite bit to remove

c35cd6a4.jpg

And finished doing the bits under and behind the seats

0c49bb41.jpg

and as you can see just the footwells to go

3cf445a2.jpg

You may also notice a new wheel has sneaked its way onto it!

Refitted the driverseat but we ran out of time so had to rush at the end so no pics of how its actually standing atm.

My next job for it is obviously the footwell tar and then I'll be removing the dash to lose all that sound deadening and then I'll move onto the wiring. Once all thats done then the grinder and spot weld drill bit will make their appearances.

Cheers
John

Rb 182
My updates on the chav now.

My task for Sat was to fit a set of balljoints that have been needing replaced since i bought chav, the other less important job was to fit a set of lowering springs as it had go so high that the shocks didn't have any travel up the way and were effectively "topping out". Some pics.

the start of the day (slight nip in the air)

DSC00601.jpg

DSC00602.jpg

Ball joints removed

DSC00603.jpg

How it sits now

DSC00610.jpg

Also bought a meg splitter off John for a 5er so popped that on early sunday morning.

DSC00608.jpg

DSC00609.jpg

As per C+C welcome.

Hours spent: 9.5
Money spent: £218.28 £5 splitter and £5 for some castrol brake fluid = 228.28
Weight lost: Most interior parts.
Weight 980kg

Last edited:

BREMBO

ClioSport Club Member
  V6 Mk1, Golf GTI Mk5
Getting there, be a massive diffrence once its dropped and new wheels (or at least matching ;) )

Rb 182
Getting there, be a massive diffrence once its dropped and new wheels (or at least matching ;) )

Yeah i know, once the winters over i'll be getting the snow tyres back in the garage and getting some Pe2's all round on some matching wheels.

9.5 hours?! f**k right off I've spent that just detarring the c**t!!

I've not kept a track of the hours for the last wee while. And your oviously not bitter about remving the tar.

Monaco
Pretty sure I used to see this around Dundee, always thought it just needed some new wheels. Half turbines half steels is not what I had in mind but great work. Will be following this.

Rb 182
Pretty sure I used to see this around Dundee, always thought it just needed some new wheels. Half turbines half steels is not what I had in mind but great work. Will be following this.

Just winter wheels dude. Steels have snow tyres on em, should be on matching wheels come spring.

Rb 182
Bought a few bits for this to hopefully make it a bit lighter still.

Manual windows, manual mirrors, base spec dash top. All to be fitted at some point in the future.

Hours spent: 9.5++++
Money spent: £228.28 + 15 (for all of the above) = £243.28
Weight 980kg

Djw John

Scotland - South
ClioSport Area Rep
Dave was round at mine yesterday for a wee while and he washed the chav! For the first time he didnt just use his works pressure washer! Actually came up pretty well

5714e52e.jpg

Also fitted a couple of the things he had lying in the car anyway. But being the meticulous people that we are we had to weigh the differences ;)

So firstly the dash

21f92c8f.jpg

The original was 2.7kg with a 300g clock unit and a large airbag hole. The base spec was 3kg! So no weight lose there but we did lose a hole at least.

By far the more noticeable difference out on the road and especially in the twizties was the indicator stalk

Original

a62ced21.jpg

and the base spec one

461476e5.jpg

Well worth it ;)

And the overall look of the interior atm

b1367b3a.jpg

0e14e305.jpg

Cheers
John

Rb 182
Bought 2 tins of black hammerite today. Just sayin'

Hours spent: 9.5++++
Money spent: £243.28 + 10er = 253.28
Weight 980kg

Rb 182
Did a bit on the chav at the weekend. Not much progress, but little we'll get there.

Had the back bumper off to fit my towing strap. While it was off we adjusted the exhaust (cable tied to the max, exhaust really needs changed but gotta wait till something comes along) and gave it a polish, removed the rear arch trims and binned them. We weighed the tar removed from the floors and roof.

Roof 2kg

chav5.jpg

Floor 5kg

chav4.jpg

a few pics

chav6.jpg

chav7.jpg

chav9.jpg

chav10.jpg

chav13.jpg

Cheers