ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Problems with 02 Clio 1.2 16v

Hi all, The guys @ MaxPower forum advised me to come here with me problem.

Just got a 02 Clio 1.2 16v. It has a slight tapping noise on the engine when you accelerate, is this common or could it be the tappets etc?

Also, every now & again when I start up the engine will rev up and down for a few seconds and then cut out. I am thinking it could be the idol control valve buggering up?

I have a year’s warranty left on it so I have booked it in for Monday. Is it a wise idea to write these faults down on paper and give it to the mechanic or will it piss him off?

Cheers,
-TS

Mk2 Golf GTI

write it all down mate as then you can see if they actually do anything when you get it back!

Mine did very simalar, get them to reprogram it with there new software.

They will tell u that there is not a updated sofeware but there is.

H22A7 Accord Type R

as for the tapping..............probably the beginning of the nice noise the engines make lol. tick tick tick, standard engine noise sir as Renault told me

Thanks for the replies all. Well....It looks to me as if Clios are a pap!! If all these faults are standard, I wish I had my Ibiza back :(

-TS

Ok so theyre not built that well..but those faults arent really much to get worked up about. The character and value makes up for it IMO.

-Rob

172 cup,s2 rs turbo

the noise is probably normal but your idle fault sounds like a problem with the motorised throttle body.

H22A7 Accord Type R

one tip that may be worth trying.......in the morning etc, switch to ignition, then wait for the service light to go out, then start the car?I find it makes a difference, and stops the revs pulsating up and down at first. Worth a try eh

Has

RS 182 - Black Gold

Hiya peeps

well u might have seen my posts abotu the idling problem.

jumps around like a kangaroo, been to 2 renault garages in total 20 times now !

the last thing they did was replace the Injection Computer System @ cost of £690.52 all under warranty, (have invoice here)

this has NOT solved the problem but reduced the kangaroo jump to about 2 minutes less now.

I think i will have to get bak on to them as im bloody fed up with this,

my cars had the lates software put on and nout its bad, and my fuel consumptin is droppin too.

Has

*getting paranoid again!*

mines done it a couple of times for a few seconds and now im havin nightmares about 700 quids worth of engine management needing replacing! only bought the car last week, but it has 10 months warranty left on it so im determined that any trace of a problem at all will land the clio into renault london west!

Fabia vRS

Hey mine had this problem too...but it aint done it 4 a while....reckon i should still report it??? mine also used to get a mile or two down the road and the first traffic lights i stopped at it would cut out 4 no reason

still report it??

Jim.

right - from what i have read and experienced

the tapping is natural for the 1.2 16v engine, all the ones ive come across have been the same

the hunting then cutting out, could possibly be the immobiliser, i always used to turn the key to the acc position, the wait for a second or two before turning the key to start the car, if you are going straight through, without stopping in the acc position, you may not be giving the immobiliser enough time to deactivate fully - just an idea :confused:

Has

RS 182 - Black Gold

i always wait for 10-20 seconds till all the lights go off then start it, then wait a bit till i drive off.

mines cut out before about 4 times now, but this has been when the car has been fully warmed up!!!!

and been driving round for about 20 mins

so i dunno wot my prob is

Polo + Micra

it sound like the same problem i had with mine took it back to reno they had it for a week changed two sensors, ecu and the throttle body

total cost £1600 (thank god for a warranty:D

Quote: Originally posted by Dink16v on 13 December 2003

it sound like the same problem i had with mine took it back to reno they had it for a week changed two sensors, ecu and the throttle body

total cost £1600 (thank god for a warranty:D
Did this solve the problem?

-TS

so for anyone who is driving a used 1.2 16v that is still under 3 years old (so under renault warranty still) and thinks they need to visit their local dealer... is it as easy as ringing your nearest one and just saying that you have a clio still under renault warranty and you want someone to have a look at it?!

No the Renault warenty in the second and third year is for the garage its registered (usually the one it was bought from)although I belive you can change the garage.

EDD

went out this morning, got in the car, switched the ignition on and waited a few seconds, turned the key and *click* nothing happened! tried switching it on and off a few times but the starter would not turn at all! in the end i was parked on a slope so i let it roll a few feet to the car in front and tried bumping it but wasnt moving enough. turned the key and it started fine! have to say im slightly worried now! anyone got any ideas? has started fine each time ive started it since today.

thanks all

Mine bunny hops quite a bit when it starts up and nearly always cuts out in reverse!! Grrrr.... Didnt have any problems with my 2000 Clio, but this is a 2003 and it is a nightmare, but I figure you just get used to it!

Quote: Originally posted by Liam_Dynamique on 14 December 2003

went out this morning, got in the car, switched the ignition on and waited a few seconds, turned the key and *click* nothing happened! tried switching it on and off a few times but the starter would not turn at all! in the end i was parked on a slope so i let it roll a few feet to the car in front and tried bumping it but wasnt moving enough. turned the key and it started fine! have to say im slightly worried now! anyone got any ideas? has started fine each time ive started it since today.

thanks all

Had the car been left for bit? Maybe there was a bad contact or the fuel pump hadnt pumped enough fuel to the engine as the car is parked on a slope and the fuel was less viscious meaning it needed to be run for longer before the ignition was turned on.

The starter not running could be unrelated it maye that the started wont kick in unless there enough fuel at the injectors.

Mine bunny hops quite a bit when it starts up and nearly always cuts out in reverse!! Grrrr.... Didnt have any problems with my 2000 Clio, but this is a 2003 and it is a nightmare, but I figure you just get used to it!

Have you tried asking Renault to upload the ECU maps and software again it maybe that there is a problem with the maps and settings used in the cold start of the engine. Try reving the engine loads and that will hopefully get rid of the problem. Otherwise it maybe a duff sensor reading ie mass airflow which would also give you less power so a RR test may prove.

EDD

172 cup,s2 rs turbo

if the starter doesnt even turn over then its an immobiliser problem or the starter/wiring.fuel and the starter are not connected.