ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Powerflex engine mount insert

monaco 172
Has anybody used the powerflex top engine mount insert?
My mount has seen better days and I wasn't sure if I should just replace it, or put the powerflex insert in.

Or do both?

Ol’ Tarby

ClioSport Moderator
  Clio 220 Trophy
Has anybody used the powerflex top engine mount insert?
My mount has seen better days and I wasn't sure if I should just replace it, or put the powerflex insert in.

Or do both?
Do both mate. Or at least fit a new standard one

Coops Mk1

ClioSport Club Member
  Lots of Scrap...
Do both, the insert won't last on a completely shot engine mount imo

2003 Clio 172
I found it a bit harsh tbh.
Powerflexed dog bone (make sure its the new type, i posted about this) and standard everywhere else is a good combo

J

I found it a bit harsh tbh.
Powerflexed dog bone (make sure its the new type, i posted about this) and standard everywhere else is a good combo

J
Agreed! That's how mine is and it's perfect.

I've had full powerflex engine/gearbox mounts in before and they're great when you're at 9/10ths down your favourite B-road or on track, but a frigging pain the other 99% of the time...

Niall

ClioSport Club Member
If the mount is knackered it won't help. But on a good mount it makes a good difference! Got it on mine and my dogbone is already powerflexed and a new gearbox side engine mount, and this made a big difference to on and off the throttle movement. Well worth the money I'd say. Looks quite good in the engine bay too.

dan's cast offs.
common mistake...powerflex dog bone, powerflex upper engine mount insert and leave the other old knackered mounts on!!

with all new mounts and the inserts vibration should be minimal.

2003 Clio 172
common mistake...powerflex dog bone, powerflex upper engine mount insert and leave the other old knackered mounts on!!

with all new mounts and the inserts vibration should be minimal.

Mine was like a dildo.
A big. Iceberg Silver. Dildo.

lol!

Niall

ClioSport Club Member
Thing is though, those trying to run a Clio as a comfortable daily you're barking up the wrong tree. They're always unrefined, may as well be #Racekor.

2003 Clio 172
You are crackers Niall......its a lovely daily driver.......great compromise of speed, ability and comfort.
I just does not need to be shaking itself to bits while sitting in traffic
Track use? maybe

haimsey

ClioSport Club Member
  ph2 172
I did a new Renault mount with the powerflex insert fitted a couple of months later. New OE mount made a difference, powerflex improved it further. Didn't notice any increased noise or vibration, but then again i cant even hear or feel myself fart in the car...

Niall

ClioSport Club Member
You are crackers Niall......its a lovely daily driver.......great compromise of speed, ability and comfort.
I just does not need to be shaking itself to bits while sitting in traffic
Track use? maybe
I'm in more discomfort in traffic with the heavy clutch and manual box than I am a bit of vibration, but I don't see anyone getting rid of the manual box?

Either way though, horses for courses!

2003 Clio 172
You can't swap from a manual box
Nor can you put a lighter clutch in

But you can prevent it vibrating like a washing machine in traffic with a simple combination of relatively cheap parts

Just IMO of course dude

Clio ph2 172
I went for the black insert to start with and it was a bit much for every day use, swapped it over for a yellow one and coupled with new mounts it's now settled in fine ( minimal vibration at idle)

dan's cast offs.
Insert is rubbish at stopping movent
It just adds some tasty vibrations
Best bet is to sleeve the leading bolt hole in a poly dog bone mount
Im installing this week a sleeve for the front bolt
Also if u know anyone with vibra technics for sale then I'm interested lol

Of course it stops movement.

Clio mk2 1.4 16v
Of course it stops movement.
Have to disagree
It's the week point in my set up
I'm using it
Ito nearly new and it moves
I wanted black as to make sure to delete movement but no still unwanted movement so getting vibras

dan's cast offs.
If you wedge something between the bracket and the mount as the insert goes it will stop movement. It's the laws of physics, you can't change or argue with them.

You will get more vibrations and if you stiffen up one mount out of four it then highlites how bad the others are.

New mounts, powerflex insert and powerflex dog bone and your movement is minimal especially for a road car.

Clio mk2 1.4 16v
If you wedge something between the bracket and the mount as the insert goes it will stop movement. It's the laws of physics, you can't change or argue with them.

You will get more vibrations and if you stiffen up one mount out of four it then highlites how bad the others are.

New mounts, powerflex insert and powerflex dog bone and your movement is minimal especially for a road car.
Got all new mounts Inc poly dog bone and no mate
Still movement
The mount is severely stiff up against the top mounting bracket which stops transverse movement (u and I both know engines don't move length ways ?) not arguing
The fact is I have movement and the stiffener has added some nice vibrations dogbone stopped the swaying loads added insert and swapped in oem dogbone no change
Both running still some vibrations ☺

JamesBryan

ClioSport Club Member
Got all new mounts Inc poly dog bone and no mate
Still movement
The mount is severely stiff up against the top mounting bracket which stops transverse movement (u and I both know engines don't move length ways ?) not arguing
The fact is I have movement and the stiffener has added some nice vibrations dogbone stopped the swaying loads added insert and swapped in oem dogbone no change
Both running still some vibrations ☺

Have you got a picture with your powerflex insert fitted in the top engine mount?