ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Powerflex ARB bushes for MK2 172 - 23mm or 25mm?

BG PH1 Megane 225
Hello all,

The past few days my car has started to feel a bit floaty during cornering after a little brown trouser moment I had thanks to a slimy wet road causing the rear to kick out through a corner. Thankfully I managed to correct the car and didn't hit anything so there are no bent wheels etc. :dead: ever since this the car feels unstable when cornering and feels like the car starts to float and the rear feels unstable :dapprove:

After inspecting under the car it appears my front ARB bushes are cracked and looking rather old (all shocks appear to be fine, no leaks etc) so I've narrowed it down to the bushes giving up and hoping new ones will inspire me to feel safe driving the car again. My tyre pressures are 33 front and 30 rear and are checked every week.

I'm going to replace the bushes with some powerflex ones but after seeing there are many different sizes I'm not sure which ones I need. After measuring the ARB it's reading 25mm, so I presume they're the ones I need and not the 23mm ones? :S

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/POWERFLEX-FRO...arts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item2311acb746

The little diagram on the eBay listing points to the ones I'm wanting to replace so I'm guessing it's the 25mm I need? (number 3 on the diagram for anyone who is impatient) :rasp:

Can anyone help me out? Just after a little clarification before I buy some really and hope this sorts my car out. My car is a standard MK2 172 (non cup) and thanks in advance for any replies as I know I've written an essay!

BG PH1 Megane 225
Thanks for the reply and link, appreciate it! After browsing some threads I've decided to buy both sets of ARB bushes (inner and outer) as I can imagine both sets are knackered anyway, now I hope I've bought the correct size ones for my car. The Kam Racing website suggested 23mm outer bush and 25mm for the bar bush...I think I'll trust their sizing guide rather than my own lack of knowledge :eek:

I'll have a good look at my rear shocks when it's next up on the jack...which won't be long!

Clio 172 Cup
I'd reiterate what has been said about rear dampers. Particularly if the "moment" came when not particularly pushing the car.

My dampers were completely shot, but no signs of leaks. Just back end stepping out and feeling floaty.

One lazy way to check is to undo one of he damper top bolts and then push down on the back. This will test the damper that is still fastened and the rear end will bob up and down a couple of times if the damper is shot. Mine went up and down like a pogo stick!!

Try this on both dampers.

Hope all gets fixed soon!

Andy

BG PH1 Megane 225
Yeah it happened very suddenly on a national speed limit road on a sweeping corner, I wasn't driving like an idiot as it was raining and was doing 50-55 ish I'd say, could have been slower but it was terrifying as I wasn't expecting it :( I've driven on the stretch of road numerous times rain or shine with not even the slightest bit of trouble which lead me to believe something was up with the car. I've just been and had a very quick look under the car for leaks on the rear shocks and can't see anything. I'll definitely give your method a try and see what happens.

When you say undo the top bolt on the damper, do you mean the one in the boot with the rubber cap over it?

LY R26 230 F1 Team
^^^yup^^^

Its easy enough to whip the dampers off anyway just a few bolts to double check them off the car.

When i took mine off (no signs of leaks) one damper was completely shot!

BG PH1 Megane 225
Great stuff, I'll probably have a good look over them tomorrow with my Dad and see if we can diagnose anything, if not we'll take them off and inspect them more closely. Is it obvious a shock is broken when it's off the car even without a leak? Plus is it best to raise the rear end off the ground to take them off, or can it be done with the car left on the ground? (I'm a bit of a noob when it comes to repairs etc) :eek: