ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Ph1 172 wont start - Intermittent Problem

Peugeot 308
So the other day I popped to tesco to do some shopping, on return to the car it wouldn't start.

I put the key in and everything lights up as usual, the immob light goes out, turn key - nothing? No noises bar the fuel pump priming and no attempt from the starter (As if the electrics are dead).

5 Minutes later, turn the key and it started.

Weird but I left it at that.

A week later and it's done it again. This time it wouldnt start after 30mins.
Gave it a bump start and it was fine, turned it on and off a fair few times and it was fine? Its started ever since.

Its had a new battery recently so I've ruled that out.

Im thinking starter motor wiring? Has anybody had this?

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Cheers

Peugeot 308
Its not even attempting to start mate, Its as if there isnt a starter motor at all...dead as a dodo lol!

Im feeling ignition signal to the starter / starter wiring atm...

also feeling this..

needleinahaystack.jpg

Is on its way lol!

Struggler

ClioSport Club Member
  Ph1 track 172
is it making a click when you turn the key? and nothing else?? if so its the starter sticking, thats kind of what it sounds like to me tbh!

E11OOT

ClioSport Club Member
  Evo 6/Ph1 v6/R34
i know you have said you ruled out the battery, but i had the same problem 2 weeks ago, it was intermittent for about a month as you have stated with regards sometimes starting and sometimes not; Then eventually the battery gave up all together last weekend....new battery and problem solved for me.

Clio 1.2 - 41k miles
Same as my crappy 1.2 - starter is sticking... I just punched it last time. The starter motor that is (Not hard) and it started lol. Get a new one there not that much.. Not to sure on prices for a 172.

Peugeot 308
I havent got any clicking from a turn of the key.

The only way I can get it started is to bump it.

Might try and use a set of jump leads on it next time, perhaps that will tell me about the state of the new-ish battery.

clio 172 cup 03
I had this problem and by-passed the relay in the engine bay. I was not getting 12v supply to the relay so traced the wire back to the bulkhead and thats as far as I got. Before anyone says battery ok, starter motor ok and feeds to it, and all earths ok. I assume it is the UCH or relay on this.