ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

[PC/PS3/XB360] Battlefield 3 Official Thread

UR R26R.5, VW Golf R
Battlefield 3 platform comparison: PS3 vs Xbox 360 vs PC
We’ve spent some time with the PlayStation 3, Xbox 360 and PC versions of BATTLEFIELD 3, and taken some notes of our experiences. Here’s our platform comparison of the currently playable build…

Today, at the Eurogamer Expo, I’ve been spending some time with all three versions of Battlefield 3. It’s not looking too shabby on any of the formats, but I thought I’d chime in with some thoughts about what the PlayStation 3, Xbox 360 and PC versions look like. A bit of subjective analysis, if you will. Here goes…

PC
The PC version is, without a shadow of a doubt, the prettiest of the three formats. That is, of course, to be expected. It’s the lead platform, and the processing power of high-end PCs is quite remarkable these days. (Bear in mind that the game was running on top-spec machines with the latest nVidia video tech.) Textures are astonishingly crisp, even up-close, and while I noticed a tiny bit of pop-in, it’s a rare occurrence and by no means a real problem. The lighting and shadows are gorgeous, and the game world has a real sheen to it. The reflections are subtle, realistic, and wonderful.

It’s also extremely smooth, as you might expect, and the draw distance is great, with none of the foliage pop-in that the other two versions suffer from. The only real issue I noticed was that there was a teensy bit of tearing at times.

PS3
While nowhere near as gorgeous as the PC version, the PlayStation 3 version of Battlefield 3 is the prettier of the console iterations. It’s very crisp, very smooth, and textures only appear slightly blurred when close up. Trees sway nicely in the breeze, although they do suffer from some pop-in when viewing them from a distance, which can be a little bit offputting.

There’s also some quite noticeable texture pop-in, which is a little unfortunate. But the water effects are beautiful, the lighting and shadow effects are extremely strong, and overall it’s a lovely-looking offering.

Xbox 360
Alas, it’s the weakest of the bunch. That isn’t to say it doesn’t look nice. Even on Xbox 360, the Frostbite 2.0 tech is strong. Unfortunately, there was some noticeable framerate stuttering in larger outdoor areas during my time with the game. That’s the biggest hurdle Battlefield 3 Xbox 360 will have to overcome before release, lest it be a little annoying.

Lighting and shadows, as well as reflections, are decent but not quite as strong as the PlayStation 3′s, and nowhere near the level of the PC. There’s some foliage pop-in as well, along the lines of that in the PS3 version. Interestingly, texture pop-in seemed to be almost entirely absent, although said textures are markedly lower-res – disappointingly blurry when up close, in fact.

So there we go! This is, of course, an unfinished build of the game, so these things may change before release. Watch out for our full hands-on Battlefield 3 preview in the coming days. And in the meantime, make sure you’re following all the latest Battlefield 3 news right here at BeefJack!

Geddes

ClioSport Club Member
  Fiesta Mk8 ST-3
looks like PS3 version is 2nd, and it gives you the oppertunity to get the PS3 version:butt:

Bus w**ker
What they've failed to mention is that PSN will make online play w**k and annoying. So as long long as you're only planning to play with AI offline you should 110% buy the PS3 version.

(Yey I get to start the fanboi flame war...and have both consoles...and a PC)

And a 120% buy the PC version?

It's always been PC, the way it should be played. Good, about time the leading tech was actualled focused on properly.

Christopher

ClioSport Club Member
  Z4M
I'll take the graphical hit to use Live over PSN. It's still going to look LOADS better than BFBC2, and I still think that looks decent enough!

AK

M240i
What they've failed to mention is that PSN will make online play w**k and annoying. So as long long as you're only planning to play with AI offline you should 110% buy the PS3 version.

(Yey I get to start the fanboi flame war...and have both consoles...and a PC)

That's if PSN is actually working and not broken again, eh ;)!

I'll take the graphical hit to use Live over PSN. It's still going to look LOADS better than BFBC2, and I still think that looks decent enough!

Valid point, wee man.

UR R26R.5, VW Golf R

Exactly. I've never once had a problem with the graphics on BC2, even though people rave over the advantages on the PC of graphical capability, fade lines and draw distances. F*ck, if I can shoot some w*nker in the head from 400 yards away with a sniper rifle, it's all good. I can.

Done.

BC2 was no where near as good on consols as it was on the PC. I had both. Then again it was never as good as BF2 either.

LOL

Last edited by a moderator:
  Mk1 MX-5 next summer
Exactly. I've never once had a problem with the graphics on BC2, even though people rave over the advantages on the PC of graphical capability, fade lines and draw distances. F*ck, if I can shoot some w*nker in the head from 400 yards away with a sniper rifle, it's all good. I can.

Done.

This!

I think BC2 looks good and on war tapes sound freaking sweet so if it's any better then I'm sorted tbh.

Canny f**king wait.

UR R26R.5, VW Golf R
That and the fact I haven't played on the PC version so have no visual or gameplay comparison. That's the best way. Leave it like that.

Integra Type-R DC2
That and the fact I haven't played on the PC version so have no visual or gameplay comparison. That's the best way. Leave it like that.

Dis.

With no point of reference it means f**k all to me. As long as the game runs well then im happy. Sure, it would be nice to have a tits awesome desktop PC so I could run it on uber high settings and marvel at its beauty, whilst playing online with 63 other people, but for the convenience of not having to shell out over a grand, I think the Xbox version will be just dandy.

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
Battlefield 3 platform comparison: PS3 vs Xbox 360 vs PC
We’ve spent some time with the PlayStation 3, Xbox 360 and PC versions of BATTLEFIELD 3, and taken some notes of our experiences. Here’s our platform comparison of the currently playable build…

Today, at the Eurogamer Expo, I’ve been spending some time with all three versions of Battlefield 3. It’s not looking too shabby on any of the formats, but I thought I’d chime in with some thoughts about what the PlayStation 3, Xbox 360 and PC versions look like. A bit of subjective analysis, if you will. Here goes…

PC
The PC version is, without a shadow of a doubt, the prettiest of the three formats. That is, of course, to be expected. It’s the lead platform, and the processing power of high-end PCs is quite remarkable these days. (Bear in mind that the game was running on top-spec machines with the latest nVidia video tech.) Textures are astonishingly crisp, even up-close, and while I noticed a tiny bit of pop-in, it’s a rare occurrence and by no means a real problem. The lighting and shadows are gorgeous, and the game world has a real sheen to it. The reflections are subtle, realistic, and wonderful.

It’s also extremely smooth, as you might expect, and the draw distance is great, with none of the foliage pop-in that the other two versions suffer from. The only real issue I noticed was that there was a teensy bit of tearing at times.

PS3
While nowhere near as gorgeous as the PC version, the PlayStation 3 version of Battlefield 3 is the prettier of the console iterations. It’s very crisp, very smooth, and textures only appear slightly blurred when close up. Trees sway nicely in the breeze, although they do suffer from some pop-in when viewing them from a distance, which can be a little bit offputting.

There’s also some quite noticeable texture pop-in, which is a little unfortunate. But the water effects are beautiful, the lighting and shadow effects are extremely strong, and overall it’s a lovely-looking offering.

Xbox 360
Alas, it’s the weakest of the bunch. That isn’t to say it doesn’t look nice. Even on Xbox 360, the Frostbite 2.0 tech is strong. Unfortunately, there was some noticeable framerate stuttering in larger outdoor areas during my time with the game. That’s the biggest hurdle Battlefield 3 Xbox 360 will have to overcome before release, lest it be a little annoying.

Lighting and shadows, as well as reflections, are decent but not quite as strong as the PlayStation 3′s, and nowhere near the level of the PC. There’s some foliage pop-in as well, along the lines of that in the PS3 version. Interestingly, texture pop-in seemed to be almost entirely absent, although said textures are markedly lower-res – disappointingly blurry when up close, in fact.

So there we go! This is, of course, an unfinished build of the game, so these things may change before release. Watch out for our full hands-on Battlefield 3 preview in the coming days. And in the meantime, make sure you’re following all the latest Battlefield 3 news right here at BeefJack!

Awesome.

Simply, f**king, Grade-A awesome.

At last - EA/DICE have grown a pair. I was still concerned that they would cave-in to the masses and give us draw distances 20ft away - but it sounds like they stuck with pushing the PC version to the top of the pile. Faith restored.

My setup will run this ok, but a better gfx card is calling. Why should I play it well when I could play it superbly? :cool:

D.

UR R26R.5, VW Golf R
Awesome.

Simply, f**king, Grade-A awesome.

At last - EA/DICE have grown a pair. I was still concerned that they would cave-in to the masses and give us draw distances 20ft away - but it sounds like they stuck with pushing the PC version to the top of the pile. Faith restored.

My setup will run this ok, but a better gfx card is calling. Why should I play it well when I could play it superbly? :cool:

D.

How much is a better graphics card, then?

TT 225+
Think i shall be buying this instead of MW3. I think the COD franchise really does need refreshing now, new graphics engine and online ideas are needed. Just same old from them I'm afraid. COD4 i played for hours and hours. Black Ops got literally about 20 mins of my time. boooring!!

This game does look fantastic. I have played BC2 and i enjoyed it more than MW2. This should be epic. I shall have to dust the xbox off :)

Geddes

ClioSport Club Member
  Fiesta Mk8 ST-3
XBOX fan boys get wound up easy, who gives a rats arse what console It's on ffs