ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Painting Boot Button...

Hi guys, quick question - I'm going to PlastiDip my badges at some point in the not too distant future and saw on another thread a while back (cannot remember where or who did it for the life of me!) that someone had painted the boot button to match the car colour so that it didn't look like one big black hole
So, obviously I'd like to do the same as I think it would look really nice - Could I just use this stuff or would I need to prepare the button first? I've hunted around for the thread where I saw this originally and couldn't find it, so if anyone recognises what/ who I'm talking about or has done it themselves then please let me know! :)
Thanks in advance!

Arctic 182FF
You can get to the boot button by removing the trim from your boot, which i think is just one torx screw and a load of clips that will pop out if you pull hard enough. Then you take the boot locking mechanism out by undoing 3 bolts (which I think are a size 10 socket off the top of my head), unplug the wiring going into it and the boot handle will come off from the outside and the mechanism will come out of the inside. Take the boot button out, use increasing grades of wet and dry to smooth off the grained effect and prep it for spraying, then just spray it in whatever colour your car is.

I have a spare boot release button you can have to save you being unable to use your boot for a day or so while you're spraying and waiting for it to dry.

You can get to the boot button by removing the trim from your boot, which i think is just one torx screw and a load of clips that will pop out if you pull hard enough. Then you take the boot locking mechanism out by undoing 3 bolts (which I think are a size 10 socket off the top of my head), unplug the wiring going into it and the boot handle will come off from the outside and the mechanism will come out of the inside. Take the boot button out, use increasing grades of wet and dry to smooth off the grained effect and prep it for spraying, then just spray it in whatever colour your car is.

I have a spare boot release button you can have to save you being unable to use your boot for a day or so while you're spraying and waiting for it to dry.

Do I need to lacquer the button or anything before I spray it? :)

Arctic 182FF
Do I need to lacquer the button or anything before I spray it? :)

You'll need to sand it down until it's smooth using increasing grades of wet&dry paper, then 2/3 coats of primer, give it a light sanding with the highest grade of wet&dry you have, then whatever colour you're putting on, probably 3 coats of that. Let it dry properly, then 2 or 3 coats of lacquer

Silver Clio 172 Phase 1
You can't use what you've posted as thats a touch up stick, you'l need primer, base coat and laquer (in a rattle can) best place IMO is paints4u, you'l have to spray about 3/4 coats of primer, let it dry, flat it back with 1500/2000 grade sandpaper, then about 3/4 coats of base coat let it dry for 20/30 mins between coats then laquer over the top (another 3/4 coats) leave it dry for a day or so then flatten it with more fine sandpaper and finally polish (if you get a kit from paints4U they have it all included including sandpaper and polish.

You'll need to sand it down until it's smooth using increasing grades of wet&dry paper, then 2/3 coats of primer, give it a light sanding with the highest grade of wet&dry you have, then whatever colour you're putting on, probably 3 coats of that. Let it dry properly, then 2 or 3 coats of lacquer

Alright, cheers for the help! :)

You can't use what you've posted as thats a touch up stick, you'l need primer, base coat and laquer (in a rattle can) best place IMO is paints4u, you'l have to spray about 3/4 coats of primer, let it dry, flat it back with 1500/2000 grade sandpaper, then about 3/4 coats of base coat let it dry for 20/30 mins between coats then laquer over the top (another 3/4 coats) leave it dry for a day or so then flatten it with more fine sandpaper and finally polish (if you get a kit from paints4U they have it all included including sandpaper and polish.

Sorry, I'm not using what I originally posted - Gone with using Halfords spray :) But thanks for the advice on the rest of it :)

Silver Clio 172 Phase 1
No worries, if you've never sprayed before take your time and do really thin coats of everything, its tempting to "just add a bit more" to reduce the amount of coats if you do its sods law that it will run!
If using halfords laquer etc you have to apply the laquer fairly soon after spraying the base coat for proper adhesion normally after 30 mins.
After you put the laquer on it will probably look all orange peeley and a bit naff, the gloss/ shine will come after you've sanded / polished back the lacquer layer.
It takes a while to get a good technique but persevere with it and you can get just as good/ better finish than some professional spray places

No worries, if you've never sprayed before take your time and do really thin coats of everything, its tempting to "just add a bit more" to reduce the amount of coats if you do its sods law that it will run!
If using halfords laquer etc you have to apply the laquer fairly soon after spraying the base coat for proper adhesion normally after 30 mins.
After you put the laquer on it will probably look all orange peeley and a bit naff, the gloss/ shine will come after you've sanded / polished back the lacquer layer.
It takes a while to get a good technique but persevere with it and you can get just as good/ better finish than some professional spray places

Alright, cheers for the help buddy! :)

Have done it on both my Clio's. It makes a massive difference and should come like that standard IMO! :p

Untitled-2.png

10935156396_d98e19b7ed_c.jpg

Just a quick one, I've now put four coats of primer on leaving 20/30 minutes between coats - How long until I can sand it? And how lightly should I sand? Just a run over or...? I just don't want to sand my primer off ;)
Thanks in advance! :)

Silver Clio 172 Phase 1
Just a quick one, I've now put four coats of primer on leaving 20/30 minutes between coats - How long until I can sand it? And how lightly should I sand? Just a run over or...? I just don't want to sand my primer off ;)
Thanks in advance! :)
I normally leave it to the following day before sanding to ensure the paint has dried properly although i have done it after 6-8hrs before with no problem, if your using a high grade sandpaper(i.e. 1500 grit+) you'l be rubbing for a while before you go through the coat!
Do you have any other coloured spray? i.e black etc? as you can spray a really light coat (literally a dusting) as a guide so that when thats all gone with the sanding it should be enough......

I normally leave it to the following day before sanding to ensure the paint has dried properly although i have done it after 6-8hrs before with no problem, if your using a high grade sandpaper(i.e. 1500 grit+) you'l be rubbing for a while before you go through the coat!
Do you have any other coloured spray? i.e black etc? as you can spray a really light coat (literally a dusting) as a guide so that when thats all gone with the sanding it should be enough......

Alright, I think I'll wait until tomorrow to be on the safe side! :) Especially when the highest grade i have is 320 grit! I do have another spray so that's a good idea, I may do that to make life a little easier! :)

Silver Clio 172 Phase 1
Don't go near it with 320 grit it will most likely tear straight through the primer to the plastic underneath in a couple of swipes, it will also introduce major grooves etc into it if it doesnt bugger it up completely!
Lowest i've tried is 600/800 (can't remember exactly which prob 800) and that was with water/ fairy as lube and me being very careful not to apply very much pressure at all (although tbf it came out alright in the end)
If i were you i'd either skip the sanding stage altogether or go out and buy some more sandpaper! 1000+1500 grit at a minimum ideally, use the 1000 grit first then move onto the 1500 grit to remove the score marks left by that (i've seen other people recommending going up to 2000 grit with all the inbetween grades i.e 1000-1200-1500-1800 then 2000 but i find that 1000 then 1500 is more than adequate for a home rattle can job

Don't go near it with 320 grit it will most likely tear straight through the primer to the plastic underneath in a couple of swipes, it will also introduce major grooves etc into it if it doesnt bugger it up completely!
Lowest i've tried is 600/800 (can't remember exactly which prob 800) and that was with water/ fairy as lube and me being very careful not to apply very much pressure at all (although tbf it came out alright in the end)
If i were you i'd either skip the sanding stage altogether or go out and buy some more sandpaper! 1000+1500 grit at a minimum ideally, use the 1000 grit first then move onto the 1500 grit to remove the score marks left by that (i've seen other people recommending going up to 2000 grit with all the inbetween grades i.e 1000-1200-1500-1800 then 2000 but i find that 1000 then 1500 is more than adequate for a home rattle can job

Okay, thanks for the warning!
So if I skip this sanding part I'll still need to sand the lacquer though, can that be done with 320? If not I'll just go out and buy some :L

Silver Clio 172 Phase 1
For a proper glossy wet look you'l have to sand + polish the lacquer, i wouldn't use anything less than 1000grit tbh, G3 is good for the polishing stage if doing it by hand.
otherwise it will probably look like cellulite / orange peel although it will still be shiny, you may get away without it on just the button as its a small area depends how OCD you are!
But if you were to do it properly then yeah you'l need at least 1000 + 1500 grit i would say

For a proper glossy wet look you'l have to sand + polish the lacquer, i wouldn't use anything less than 1000grit tbh, G3 is good for the polishing stage if doing it by hand.
otherwise it will probably look like cellulite / orange peel although it will still be shiny, you may get away without it on just the button as its a small area depends how OCD you are!
But if you were to do it properly then yeah you'l need at least 1000 + 1500 grit i would say

I'm not that OCD tbh and with such a small part like the boot button I may skip sanding - It won't look 100% perfect but it'll still be a colour coded boot button! :) Thanks for the tips :)