ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

One question iPhone/iPT thread.

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)
Blackrain is the only one you should be looking at an it's childs play to use

WRONG.

Blackrain should be avoided. Pwnagetool is your safest option. However depending on the status of your iPhone it brings its own complications. But its still the most reliable method.

Plus that video is old.

AK

M240i
Do they all have the same end result, i.e. jailbroken and Cydia?

Or what's the difference between JB'n with Blackrain or Pwnagetool?!

The Boosh!

ClioSport Admin
  Elise, Duster
Can I just say apologies if im pissing people off. I have spent half hour reading various threads and im still trying to get my head round a few concepts so apologies if what I am asking/saying seems a little out of touch.

The phone is/will be on vodafone (It comes in Jan so doing some research prior).

Am I right in thinking that all cydia does is allow you to run third party applications?

*Goes off to read other thread some more*

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)
LOL we have a new JD.

Worry about it when you get it, personally its not that big of a deal.

It's just been covered about 5948954 times and everyone wants an individual answer. Lol.

It's on Voda and I'm guessing that's the network you're going to use? Then you only need to jailbreak. That will give you Cydia and access to extra apps/customise etc.

Personally, I haven't bothered. It's hassle when you need to update, it runs slower and I'm not a pikey so I will pay any apps I really want. Theres thousands of free ones anyway.

Golf GTD
I think I have a problem with push on my phone. Set up a gmail account and its taking about 5-10 minutes to notify me of a new email from it being sent. How long are other people finding the push taking on their phones?

Also haven't been notified by the apple 12 days of christmas app yet for their deal either, although i didn't get that till yesterday afternoon either!

Am I being paranoid or is my push not working?

I'm running a jailbroken, non iphone tarrif o2 3GS.

Golf GTD
Gmail does push just not instantly. How come it's not push out of the box when there is a setting for it in the Mail app?

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)
Gmail is not push, push is instant or near instant.

The only push mail out of the box supported by an iPhone is Yahoo! mail or Exchange.
Gmail needs an app that uses push notifications to support it. Not the same as push mail.

Paddy_g46

ClioSport Club Member
My phone is jailbroken and unlocked and I have that cydia app/program. How do I go about creating all these awesome backgrounds and logos etc?!

Cupra
Download "winterboard" from cydia. You can then download the themes and lockscreens from cydia, but you activate them through winterboard.

Paddy_g46

ClioSport Club Member
Download "winterboard" from cydia. You can then download the themes and lockscreens from cydia, but you activate them through winterboard.

can anyone descirbe to me how you know what you are downloading, can you preview them etc?

Monaco 53/468
see the other thread (iphone desktops), I have briefly explained how to get themes in there.

for preview etc then click on the name of the theme you want, this will open a brief description of it, then scroll down and tap either 'more info' or 'screenshots', this will then display the theme

Steve

My one question for today is...

I always turn wifi on whenever I can use it, then off again when I've done whatever I was doing.

Am I wasting my time and should I just leave it on constantly or will it be a major drain on battery?

Golf GTD
Wifi is a massive drain on the battery so you should turn it off when you aren't using it unless you don't mind charging it everyday.

Thought so. It takes the mick tbh. I know its only a few clicks and a swipe but it'd be sooo much better if there could be a 1 touch icon on the desktop to turn it on/off

1.8 Civic EX
Wifi is a massive drain on the battery so you should turn it off when you aren't using it unless you don't mind charging it everyday.

I don't get why people say this?!?!? My wifi is always on and the battery lasts a good 3 days depending on use.

When your not using the phone it doesn't connect to the network or anything. When you unlock it, watch the symbol at the top. It starts on 3g or whatever then changes to wifi. It's not like it's constantly on etc. Infact you probably use more battery life constantly turning it on and off again tbh...

Never going to find it in this thread if it already exists, but what's the deal with using your iPhone abroad? I'm on a standard £35 per month O2 package.

Travelling around the US later this year and would like to upload a few photos (I've got a direct connection to my Smugmug site), as long as I turn Data Roaming off, will I be able to connect to Wifi hotspots for free?

Never going to find it in this thread if it already exists, but what's the deal with using your iPhone abroad? I'm on a standard £35 per month O2 package.

Travelling around the US later this year and would like to upload a few photos (I've got a direct connection to my Smugmug site), as long as I turn Data Roaming off, will I be able to connect to Wifi hotspots for free?

Yeah Wifi spots are your best bet. You might need to phone O2 and tell them you are going abroad so they can send you the settings.

DCi
My one question for today is...

I always turn wifi on whenever I can use it, then off again when I've done whatever I was doing.

Am I wasting my time and should I just leave it on constantly or will it be a major drain on battery?
a week of normal useage doing that vs a week of normal usage not doing that will give you the answer and then you can come tell all of us :p

Barge
It's usually June time. There'll be a meeting (like this year at the Worldwide Developers Conference) where it'll be announced - if they're releasing one.

Hello know it alls, is there a way to send a mass message to my contacts list with "New Mobile Number?"

Cheers all.

x

WRONG.

Blackrain should be avoided.

Yet in your edited post on christophers jailbreaking thread, you say to use blackra1n on pc.

Please clarify your contradiction.

Tomarse said:
This Guide was out of date so its been removed;

Links to JB sites;

Mac (Recomended);
http://blog.iphone-dev.org/post/211802082/pwnage-pie

Mac and PC;
http://blackra1n.com/

DO NOT TRUST ANY OTHER SITES

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Last edited by Tom; 05-11-2009 at 13:37..