ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

oil consumption? how much is ok?

DrR

ClioSport Club Member
  VW Golf GTD
200BHP+?

I'm under the impression they shouldn't use any.

My old 172 on 76k never used any ever

My 182 has used 1.5ltrs in 37k

Mk2 172
I had cams, bodies, etc, 212bhp and mine used to use a litre every 500 miles lol.
I think it was tired but had only done 50k

Tav

Clio 197
My 40k 182 Cup uses about 3 *'s on the dash board indicator every couple of 1000 miles, that must only equate to about 250ml of oil. It gets driven at high RPM often, seems to be a good tight/strong engine though. Last 300 mile blast across the west coast knocked it down a couple of *'s.

Mk2 172
I feel sorry for the people following you around.

Probably had something to do with the 3 foot long flames hanging out the back of it everytime i backed off. That car sounded epic tho!! Even a germany guy at the ring came and shook my hand after a lap as i went round the outside of him driving a GT3 and said nice driving lol.

Trophy #473
My 172 was a litre every 8k, my 182 is about a litre every 3k all of which lived above 5000 rpm most days.

davo172

ClioSport Club Member
  TCR'd 172
Only time I have ever put any in mine is when it was running in, I change it every 6k and it NEVER uses a drop however I drive it .

interesting,

so would you say i shouldn't worry too much considering the fact that car is tuned and driven agressively. i don't know exactly how much it uses but a litre every 1000 miles sounds about right

DMS

A thirsty 172
At the minute my car's using about a litre of oil every month.
That said, I do a lot of short journeys because I only live 5 minutes away from work. When the engine's nice and warm I can go for a thrash all afternoon, come back home, let the car cool down and it doesn't seem to have used much (if any).
Now the engine was only built about 5k ago. Could this excessive usage be because it's still "running in" ?

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
my last 172 the 190bhp one used a slight bit but not enough even to require a top up between its yearly service (5/6k miles) my current standard one doesnt use a drop so far!

the diesel batters most of its oil thru the turbo and into the engine lol need the turbo rebuilt!