ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Oh sh*t....nearly crashed

Fiat Coupe 20v turbo

Today on my way home from work, got stuck behind a OAP in a new Micra...this is a long straight b road with a farm and a couple of houses on. Anyway I saw nothing was coming the other way so I moved out to overtake..just as I was coming alongside the Micra I notice a car nosing out of a driveway ahead on the right hand side. This house has thick hedge at the front of the property so the guys has to creep all the way out into the road to see if anything is coming....directly into my path, I have move over to left to avoid him as he continues to pull out as he cant see me....

I just manage to squeeze through the gap between Micra and Laguna with inches to spare and breath a huge sigh of relief! Could have been a real bad smash as I was doing 60-70....Im presuming he would be at fault if we had collided? He should try cutting his fricken hedge it could have been lethal!:mad:

don't

yea i take it he would have been at fault although its dodgy as u r on wrong side of the road

any1 want 2 shed some light on this 1

i would have thought it would have been your fault as you had seen him edging out but still continued to overtake the micra knowing that the laguna couldnt see you - the laguna bloke should sort out getting his hedge cut but your the one that could have avoided the accident!

don't

he will have probably only been lookin right wouldnt he, as he wouldnt expect something on his side of the road coming from his left

so prob wouldnt have even noticed u, u could have slammed on the breaks if u were really sh!tting it unless cars were behind u

bit of a crappy situation really

Fiat Coupe 20v turbo

I was alongside the micra before I saw him so I though it was best to carry on with the overtake....the point was he couldnt see either way thats why he was in the road! take your points though...

Clio

probly be ur fault but in my eyes its the micras fault for not keeping at a resonable pace . i hate peolpe like this AND THEY ALWAYS DRIVE MICRAS

i entering a motorway the weekend and the old bloke in the 53 plate micra infornt of me bearly made 50 mph ???????????WTF!!!!!!!!!! who enters a motorway at 50mph ???????????

Yaris Hybrid

This is similar to the accident involving the V6 in France.

Technically speaking you may be in the right but if you drive around with that attitude you wont live very long. People only look right when pulling out of junctions and driveways and have been doing so for years. Its not going to change any time soon.

But by all means overtake at these places because when you leave hospital in a wheel chair and 2 legs short of a full set you will have the satisfaction of knowing you were in the right!!!!

As for the car in front going to slow, I cant think of any appointment so important that it would justify taking the risk and overtaking.

Revels Mum & Sister

So Toy you have never overtaken a car before and you have never had a close shave

Ur also buying a 182 to potter about in as well I take it?

the dude with the hedge must be a right prat !!
fancy edging out in the road too see !!
i hope some one takes the fron of his motor off, may be then hell get the idea & cut the f*cking hedge !

I sort of agree with martin, as old ppl who drive too slow are a pain, however i personally would never overtake on a country lane.

Yaris Hybrid

I was riding motorcycles for years before I got my first car! I have overtaken more cars on single carriageway than most people in here have had hot dinners and the 182 is positively snail-like compared to vehicles I had 8 years ago!

I had a close shave yeah, bit different to the above as I was on the other side of the fence. Came to a main road, looked right, nothing was coming so I pulled out turning left. Looked up to see a van on the wrong side of the road coming towards me head on (this was in a 30 zone so he had no need to overtake anyone). Shat my pants as you can imagine.

That was the first and last time I made that mistake. I got lucky, the next person that makes the mistake might not! Just trying to warn people not to get hung up on whether they are right are wrong and instead consider that you are sharing the road with people that make mistakes.

Fiat Coupe 20v turbo

Hmm, I drive this road every day and there is usually someone on it doing 40 in a 60 and I usually waft past them without a problem...I dont consider it to be a dangerous or risky manoever. However when Im at exiting driveways/junctions I am very cautious I would never stick half my car into the unknown...Id probably get out of the car and have a look rather than risk pulling into the path of a HGV! Guess that fault is irrelavant really, bit of 6 of one and half a dozen of the other....

Clio

at the end of the day all overtakeing id risky bussnies

martin wouldnt have had to risk it if it wernt for a mica not even close to the speed limit

[Edited by T3ZJ on 29 September 2004 at 6:45pm]

i would have thought that it would be classed as your fault for overtaking at an inappripraite place. i have had a similar situation before (not quite as close a shave but now i check to see if theres any junctions or driveways when im going to overtake.

is your fault if your on he wrong side of the road i should know i hit a mondeo in my sl 500 over taking a slow moving ar when a c**t in a mondeo pulled out on me

stay safe

ex Clio 172 owner :(

You got away with it but Ive learned always get on the brakes first then you worry about steering your way out of trouble.

If you end up crashing anyway, with less speed itll be far better than at high speed.

Fiat Coupe 20v turbo

I doubt it....lol could be one of 1000 roads in the N/w alone. But since you asked lets just say the road starts in Garstang...

Im not entirely sure Im correct but; as he is entering the road he should check that it is safe to do so. That said, he may claim that he was looking right and could safely assume that side of the road to be clear.

You can claim that the overtake was legal, necessary, and safe (proving the driveway was seen to be clear at the start of the overtake). BUT. At the end of the day you are on the wrong side of the road. Taking off the front end of his car would probably piss him right off. You hitting a him at 70 odd mph would probably mean death.

You can always use the horn. Its often worth covering it if you see a potential situation as most people slam the brakes on if they hear a horn.

182, GTR, C63

Quote: Originally posted by cat171 on 29 September 2004

the dude with the hedge must be a right prat !!
fancy edging out in the road too see !!
i hope some one takes the fron of his motor off, may be then hell get the idea & cut the f*cking hedge !

I sort of agree with martin, as old ppl who drive too slow are a pain, however i personally would never overtake on a country lane.
Thats wot they are for aint it. Overtaking anyone doing less than 70?? I dont overtake people doing more than 70 on country lanes as thw cup dont have enough power to get past safely. I have donne it a few times but its much easier to take the people at 60 or below.

Personally i enjoy overtaking but its bloody dangerous and you have to be careful. I would have probably done the same as you and kept my foot planted although knowing braking is much more sensible at this sort of thing you make a decision and stick with it and my instict would be keep going like yours.

i do drive dangerously fast on country lanes but its the only place round here to do it. Cant be arsed to go to trackdays and pay loadsa cash. wots wrong with overtaking??? Its the old people and slow drivers that are dangerous as they just dont have the reaction times. Spose its upto you to avoid people who make mistakes.

I wouldnt crash into someone though just cus they were in the wrong. But getting back the the quote above why dont you overtake?

Fiat Coupe 20v turbo

Seems like we have similar opinion Doddcup, I dont drive dangerously but I will put my foot down if the roads are quiet and if I never overtook anyone on a country road Id have probably have go the sack by now for being late! There are quite a few hazards about though so you have to be careful.....never drive fast at night though..corners have a habit of jumping out at you!

[Edited by Martin. on 29 September 2004 at 11:41pm]

2012 WRX Waggon

i think driving fast is dangerous and should be illegal, or something.

Martin been in the same situation many times (proper arse twitcher), tricky one from a legal point of view - example mate overtook a stopped bus, who flashed a car out whilst mate was overtakin - BANG one tattered Fireblade - Insurance agreed 50/50.

Quote: Originally posted by T3ZJ on 29 September 2004

at the end of the day all overtakeing id risky bussnies

martin wouldnt have had to risk it if it wernt for a mica not even close to the speed limit

[Edited by T3ZJ on 29 September 2004 at 6:45pm]
Not every body has to drive at the speed limit. The speed limit is there as a maximum not a target!....

Quote: Originally posted by Mike Wright on 30 September 2004

Not every body has to drive at the speed limit. The speed limit is there as a maximum not a target!....
so thats where im going wrong then !!.

500bhp Scoob

my driving instructor said if the conditions are fine, no rain etc stay within about 5-10mph of the limit.

as it can be dangerous to be below this, as other people overtake, and cause roadrage etc

Quote: Originally posted by Fatherted on 30 September 2004

so thats where im going wrong then !!.

hahhhahaha I thought you added a 2 "0"s and used it as a rpm target Mark!!!!

williams and trophy

well mate...id av dun the same as u pal......keep it planted....lol

but wudda thort the guy pullin out would have been at fault f anything hadve happened..........i reckon anyone caught goin 5mph less than the speed limit (unless they turnin off or stoppin) shud get an instant ban.......wot some people forget is that the speed limits were dreamt up in 1963 i think.....when itd take most family cars a week to stop from 30.....i think its about time the speed limits were looked at and raised to conform to the extra abilities of todays cars........less than 80 does my head in....causes me to concentrate on other things than the road.....like the blond walkin down the street, the other car thats gone the other way......most ppl i know are the same in this respect.....they get bored n look elsewher other than at the road........then b4 u know it......u turn round and.............oh ..theres a bus!!

lmao lol

lucky martin, sounds like a close shave! Let us know how u get on with the chip and stuff today?

Take note I wasnt near the car this time lads!!lol

Danny