ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

OE bushes vs pf purple vs pf black

Ph2 Clio 172
Im at the stage in my build that i need to decide on suspension bushes. When I removed the rear axle the rubber fell out the rear bushes leaving just the metal case in the beam. Fronts too are in need of replacement

So...

Which way to go... primarily a trackday car btw with minimal road use

New oe spec rubber bushes, powerflex purple or powerflex black

Ive read the purples aint much stiffer than oe but obv well out last them. Of course new oe bushes are going to feel a whole load better initially than whats in now

I dont think theres much price difference between purple and black... are purple really worth it? And is there any real benifit replacing the rear axle bushes with poly?

Did also look at the pms bearing conversion kits but maybe abit hardcore lol

Opinions?

PH2 172
Im at the stage in my build that i need to decide on suspension bushes. When I removed the rear axle the rubber fell out the rear bushes leaving just the metal case in the beam. Fronts too are in need of replacement

So...

Which way to go... primarily a trackday car btw with minimal road use

New oe spec rubber bushes, powerflex purple or powerflex black

Ive read the purples aint much stiffer than oe but obv well out last them. Of course new oe bushes are going to feel a whole load better initially than whats in now

I dont think theres much price difference between purple and black... are purple really worth it? And is there any real benifit replacing the rear axle bushes with poly?

Did also look at the pms bearing conversion kits but maybe abit hardcore lol

Opinions?

Regarding the front wishbones, I have seen posts saying that the originals are longer lasting, which is probably true.
The blacks are stiffest, but if you way up the £104 (I think) plus the hassle of fitting against £126 for the pair of 172 cup & 182 wishbones including the bushes, bottom ball joints, with the revised castor angle, you may want to go that way.
http://www.renaultpartsdirect.co.uk/product/renault-clio-172-182-wishbone-front-pair/
I could not seem them any cheaper on ebay, though they were £100 a pair a few months ago.
The cup items are a straightforward retro fitment with no modifications required for the non cup PH2 172.

Ph2 Clio 172
Already got cup wishbones... and new ball joints. So may just get a good oe set of bushes then

Remember an old design of powerflex bushes wearing the subframe badly

I think some of the polybush reviews are based on the placebo effect a new set of bushes is bound to give. Oe will most likely feel as good in a well worn car

PH2 172
Already got cup wishbones... and new ball joints. So may just get a good oe set of bushes then

Remember an old design of powerflex bushes wearing the subframe badly

I think some of the polybush reviews are based on the placebo effect a new set of bushes is bound to give. Oe will most likely feel as good in a well worn car

Bushes are available 8200651169.

https://partsouq.com/en/catalog/genuine/unit?c=Renault&ssd=$BQoJQHMFBwYESkECVzkBAAEDAwoCBF8bCVNBUVtGc3kFWhsMW1d0BExaWVErVUgCBQUMBgpKWw4LDFFcUFByfgcHWFQ4TF5RW0dQW1IONxZdR3R4AQIHByobDFFcUFByfQcHW1dIBE1rdV0GQlkaPBIKBnFkE01XRCtV$&vid=1247&cid=2041912744&uid=3249&q=

The Powerflex have been redesigned & don`t actually make any contact with the subframe.

phase 1 flamer 172
Bought a set of non genuine rubber (road car only) despite having a press and fitting lots of polly/rubber bush,s, just couldn't get the first one to go in without damaging it, so binned them all, will now buy complete genuine w/bones

Black for me all round, got a set of wishbones with black series bushes fitted, just need to get inner/outer ARB, rear beam and steering rack bushes. Got a purple dog bone fitted as well. Only going to do this once I get coilovers though for maximum effect.

Ph2 Clio 172
Ive got vibratechnics engine mounts and an evol dogbone already, and powerflex purple arb bushes as they came up cheap.. fitted but unused

On epas so no rack bushes for me... modified the dci rack mount one end so its got a 3rd mounting bolt rather than the standard 2 on that rack

Just need to sort the wishbones and axle bushes

I've found polybushes to be a lot more 'granular' in feel on the road - TBH they do get annoying on those concrete sections of DC with the horizontal expansion joints at regular intervals, and there is less absorption of short, sharp bumps generally.

I like the feel, though, and on a track car I think you'd be fine.

Christopher

ClioSport Club Member
  Z4M
Black might as well be solid. Not my thing as I like to see straight, but would be fine for a pure track build.