ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Non Starter :(

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Update. Seems to be confirmed as electrical. I put it in 3rd and rocked it and the aux belt has moved.

The garage can't pick it up until Monday, so I'll just have to wait. It's sat on the drive looking sorry for itself!

Jack it up, and put power to the solenoid mate and see if it turns over then.

If so then you know that when you turn the key its not getting power to the solenoid.

So then you can work back from there, its quite probably the wire from the relay to the solenoid rotted, especially if you have run without arch liners (because racecar)

Jaff.

ClioSport Club Member
Get a bit of cable, clip one end to the live going to the motor then use your new live to trigger the motor. If it spins then you have a trigger cable issue

Cub.

ClioSport Moderator
Jack it up, and put power to the solenoid mate and see if it turns over then.

If so then you know that when you turn the key its not getting power to the solenoid.

So then you can work back from there, its quite probably the wire from the relay to the solenoid rotted, especially if you have run without arch liners (because racecar)

Cheers bud, I'll give that a whirl this weekend. Stuck in meetings for the next two days. At least it's not the engine! :)

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Cheers bud, I'll give that a whirl this weekend. Stuck in meetings for the next two days. At least it's not the engine! :)

Might be mate.
The block might have rusted away so much it no longer conducts electricity.

Cub.

ClioSport Moderator
Might be mate.
The block might have rusted away so much it no longer conducts electricity.

It conducted electricity to fire when Dan tested it. So it's not that.

I had to jump it to get it to start to put it in the garage in the first place before the engine swap. I thought it was the battery at the time, although now I am not so sure...

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
It conducted electricity to fire when Dan tested it. So it's not that.

LOL, was a joke mate!
No block ever does that!

I had to jump it to get it to start to put it in the garage in the first place before the engine swap. I thought it was the battery at the time, although now I am not so sure...

To me it sounds like earths still.

Go to halfords and buy a couple, and do like I said on the phone,
Battery -> chassis
Battery -> engine
Chassis -> engine

Try starting it, if it still doesnt fire then do what I said about positive to the solenoid.

Dr HMS Derv Destroyer

ClioSport Club Member
  MK1DTi/vivaro/corsa
Dreads heap of s**t did this. Wouldn't turn over
so we swapped starter, still nothing , jumped it off my dci, if fired up but if we tried firing it up without my dci helping, then again nothing.

Battery was checked/ fuse box in engine bay in pieces - corrosion on everything

eventually we gave up and Fred got it going I think ( can't remember if Dave tried a new battery or not )

I'd be cleaning all the fuses and relays up in the engine bay box, including the big white multi plug at the bottom of it ( clean them properly so they look like brass almost, then put some Vaseline on the pins
That box stopped my ecu working , which pissed me off trying to find the problem

Cub.

ClioSport Moderator
LOL, was a joke mate!
No block ever does that!

To me it sounds like earths still.

Go to halfords and buy a couple, and do like I said on the phone,
Battery -> chassis
Battery -> engine
Chassis -> engine

Try starting it, if it still doesnt fire then do what I said about positive to the solenoid.

Lol! You confuse me good sir!

Stand by your beds on Saturday then chaps (or your phones....) :)

Cub.

ClioSport Moderator
Dreads heap of s**t did this. Wouldn't turn over
so we swapped starter, still nothing , jumped it off my dci, if fired up but if we tried firing it up without my dci helping, then again nothing.

Battery was checked/ fuse box in engine bay in pieces - corrosion on everything

eventually we gave up and Fred got it going I think ( can't remember if Dave tried a new battery or not )

I'd be cleaning all the fuses and relays up in the engine bay box, including the big white multi plug at the bottom of it ( clean them properly so they look like brass almost, then put some Vaseline on the pins
That box stopped my ecu working , which pissed me off trying to find the problem

We tried to fire it off Mikes DCi. Nothing. Not even a splutter. I'll start with chips tests, then start cleaning stuff up. I don't run arch liners (looking for a pair) so he may be onto a winner with the relay to the solenoid.

Many.
If anybody else comes across this thread in the future, check the earth by the headlight (Where the battery earths onto the bodyshell), It was heavily corroded as per normal, cleaned up and it turned over, then it was just the fuel pump relay that needed cleaning up in the engine bay fuse box.

Easy fix!

Cub.

ClioSport Moderator
If anybody else comes across this thread in the future, check the earth by the headlight (Where the battery earths onto the bodyshell), It was heavily corroded as per normal, cleaned up and it turned over, then it was just the fuel pump relay that needed cleaning up in the engine bay fuse box.

Easy fix!

Easy fix if the person you are helping doesn't lock himself out of his house, and have a broken bonnet catch which means we couldn't get into the car. :)

Really appreciate your help bud, good to meet.