ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Non Starter :(

Cub.

ClioSport Moderator
So, put a new engine in the flamer, wouldn't start. Machine gun type noise. Sounded and thought it was the starter motor. Swapped it earlier for a second hand one which is proven. Same noise still, no start.
@Budgie and I have tried to pin point a bad earth. Charged the battery up. Tried to jump it from Mikes DCI and checked all the fuses. Nothing.

@Chip-mk1 @NorthloopCup @Dan@SJM - its going off to a local company tomorrow, what do we think / where best to point them too.

On the plus point, now its all back together, looks awesome :)

Cub.

ClioSport Moderator
+1 need to know this mate. Put it in gear and rock it back and forth. You'll be able to see if the crank pulley has moved round at all.
Daniel - Machine gun noise seems to come from the starter motor.

Mark - I'll do that, but how could the engine go from turning over on the stand, to not turning over when put in the bay. Literally craned into the bay and bolted up?

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
Because there is a wiring/earthing issue somewhere.

It's nothing serious don't panic big bear.

Cub.

ClioSport Moderator
Run a new feed.

Sorry Dan, what do you mean by this? Remember i'm dumb :)

Was the gearbox/clutch assembly on at that point?

Gearbox was, clutch wasn't. I think. But Dan@SJM can confirm.

Battery charged?

Yep. And tried a different battery straight out of a working clio.

There's a relay in the engine bay fuse box as well. Worth a try.

I'll get them to check it bud.

It is driving me nuts. And budgie, lol!

NorthloopCup

ClioSport Moderator
@Daniel - Machine gun noise seems to come from the starter motor.

Mark - I'll do that, but how could the engine go from turning over on the stand, to not turning over when put in the bay. Literally craned into the bay and bolted up?
Clutch assembly incorrectly fitted stopping the engine turning over when all bolted up together. Long shot, but a possibility

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Get a length of wire, put a female spade on one end, and connect it to the starter motor, touch the other end of the wire on the battery +ve (obviously remove it quickly if it looks like its shorting!), see if it turns over then, if it does then you know its just the trigger wire that is the issue.

Cub.

ClioSport Moderator
Get a length of wire, put a female spade on one end, and connect it to the starter motor, touch the other end of the wire on the battery +ve (obviously remove it quickly if it looks like its shorting!), see if it turns over then, if it does then you know its just the trigger wire that is the issue.

You in London this week at all bud?

GTD, Lupo
Lol! I bloody hope not. Its off to J-tech tomorrow, so they should be able to fix it I hope!

Im sure it will be bud! Chips idea sounds like a good start!

Have you tried a different battery! Run down batteries don't like being jumped sometimes?

Cub.

ClioSport Moderator
Yes, if you had asked me earlier I could have come over tonight in fact, but its getting a bit late now as I need to check in to my hotel.

Don't worry bud, only discovered it wouldn't fire again about 30 mins ago. Thought the new starter would sort it. On the plus side, bled all the brakes, and everything else is done! If j-tech can't find it tomorrow, you about later this week?

The cable you used to make a new earth, run it to the starter where the 13mm nut bolts on. This'll rule out a feed issue.

Did you paint the gearbox after I saw it?

Haven't painted the box bud. Its exactly as you saw it. Only painted the engine block / rocker cover as per photos. I'm hoping j-tech can sort it, if not, i'm a bit stuck.

330i. E30 Touring.
All the earth straps in place?

Yep, all earths are ok.

Also tried earthing the engine and box to the body seperately, with no joy.

The negative terminal connection was a bit hooky to start with, so thought it might have been that, but have used jump leads from the battery negative to the body too, still won't crank.

Pretty much as sure as I can be that it's not the clutch that's at fault. Saying that, I haven't tried to turn the engine over while it's been in the bay.

Scrooge

ClioSport Moderator
  E55 AMG
As people have said you need to run a cable to the starter to see if it gets it going to see if its an electrical issue. If it's on its wheels put it in 3rd and try to rock it back and forth, it should move the engine slightly as long as nothing is seized. Could well be the earths, strap on the side of the box down by the passenger side one over the back at the top of the box on a bell housing bolt are the main ones. Try a jump lead from the negative of the battery to a bare metal bit of the engine to see if that helps, if it is you have an earthing problem.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Cheers bud, i'll give you a ring. Won't be up on axle stands, as i've wheeled it outside to get it on a beaver tail tomorrow.

Well then TBH there is no point calling me mate, as if you cant get to the starter you may as well just leave it to the people who can, its such a simple number of things that can be up with it that im sure they will nail it in no time.

Many.
The earth from the engine bay loom, goes onto gearbox, 13mm bolt that does nothing other then that earth, is it connected?

that's my bet. PM me if you can't locate it and I'll guide you over the phone.

330i. E30 Touring.
The earth from the engine bay loom, goes onto gearbox, 13mm bolt that does nothing other then that earth, is it connected?

that's my bet. PM me if you can't locate it and I'll guide you over the phone.

Yep, definitely connected.

I've seen that one before, you just get a mental clicking dash and no noise from the starter motor at all.

Many.
Happens variously tbh, as per any earth issue as it depends what is earthing and how well.

Then it only really leaves the face of the starter/gearbox as that's what it earths through, starter is unlikely if you've tried two, trigger won't be the issue if it clicks. Could be the live, but unlikely again if it's clean on the starter terminal and on the battery. Could check it's getting a strong 12v at the starter.

Worth checking where the battery earths to the body too, prone to rusting.

Cub.

ClioSport Moderator
Update. Seems to be confirmed as electrical. I put it in 3rd and rocked it and the aux belt has moved.

The garage can't pick it up until Monday, so I'll just have to wait. It's sat on the drive looking sorry for itself!

Chi

Z4, VW172, R26
Update. Seems to be confirmed as electrical. I put it in 3rd and rocked it and the aux belt has moved.

The garage can't pick it up until Monday, so I'll just have to wait. It's sat on the drive looking sorry for itself!

RAC ;)