ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

newbie with a clio cup race car

ian-speedy

ClioSport Club Member
  clio cup race car
£££££££££££££............

that's rallying !

Its not that bad actually when you compare it against just the followers from sodemo at 8k euro's for 16 of them , it will cost me less than that to build the engine complete with the steel kit car bottom end

ian-speedy

ClioSport Club Member
  clio cup race car
I have sent the 'inbetween' engines head off today to CNC heads to have a full porting job done on it , I have sent the supertech valves to them as well so they can recut the valve seats , they have said they should be able to turn it around in 10 days , will get the block off the South Wales pistons in Cardiff in the next few days so they can rebore it so I can build the bottom end up in time to get the head back , I should get the cams from Cat next week , so hopefully in the next 2 weeks the engine should be close to being built ready to be dynoed.

I'm doing another rally in a month so would be nice to have it fitted in time for it :D

Grats

ClioSport Club Member
  Rally Car
Hi all, another newbie here (Clio owner for 2 wks now), Ian sorry for jumping onto your thread - hope this is ok, new to all this.

I am currently building 182 rally car, well I bought a rally car and I am rebuilding it into my spec. The car is not a converted race car but I have bought a Sadev ST75 box (currently no shafts or gear lever if anyone knows where I can buy any 2[SUP]nd[/SUP] hand ones) out of a 197 race car.

You guys who are rallying Clio’s with Sadev race boxes, have you changed the diff ramp angles, I understand they are 45/90 as standard. The recommendation from SWR is for 35/60 for rallying.

How are you finding the standard set up??
With a 90 degree ramp angle on the ‘coast’ side providing no slip resistance do you find you lock up the brakes more often??
Technically a 90% ramp angle will give better turn in, do you find this??

Trying to decide whether I change them now while the box is being rebuilt – adds another £300. Not the end of the world but if the standard set up works would rather spend the money elsewhere – budget is not that grand.

Look forward to your comments.

ian-speedy

ClioSport Club Member
  clio cup race car
Hi
If you speak to SWR ask them what they did to my box , I don't think they touched the diff apart from fitting new bearings , I just had a new CW&P fitted to bring the top end speed down , it is geared for about 117mph on the rev limiter I think now , if it is untouched then its fine for rallying , I don't get any lock up under braking , and it pulls great out of bends , the box is great , and certainly the best part of the car.

There was a guy selling cup race part on here , check out the for sale section , i'm sure I seen shafts and gearstick in there

What rallies are you planning on doing with it

Cheers Ian

Grats

ClioSport Club Member
  Rally Car
Thanks Ian, I will check.

Planning a slow build, not much time with work and young family. Just wanted to fill the hole in the garage left by the Fiesta before it got filled with kids bikes and stuff. Looking to just do local (NW) Tarmac events but would like to eventually get back in the woods.

Have already PM the guy about the shafts and lever advertised on here, understandably wants to sell these with the box. If the box goes to someone as a spare / replacement then he will sell them seperatly.

Currently just taking the car apart, got some bits on here for sale which are surplus.

Might have a some questions as I get into the build - ok if I PM you so I don't keep using your thread.

Cheers

Planning a slow build, not much time with work and young family. Just wanted to fill the hole in the garage left by the Fiesta before it got filled with kids bikes and stuff. Looking to just do local (NW) Tarmac events but would like to eventually get back in the woods.

I like that.

EVOgone

ClioSport Club Member
  Pink Cup Racer
I am currently building 182 rally car, well I bought a rally car and I am rebuilding it into my spec. The car is not a converted race car but I have bought a Sadev ST75 box (currently no shafts or gear lever if anyone knows where I can buy any 2[SUP]nd[/SUP] hand ones) out of a 197 race car.

A 197 Cup sadev wont fit a 182, thought they were different boxes and also have different bellhousing/block fitting...........

Grats

ClioSport Club Member
  Rally Car
Yes thanks aware of that.

In 2 minds at mo either going to fit a 197 engine ( already sold the 182) or to drop down a class and fit the 1.6 133 Twingo engine which I believe will mate perfectly with the box. I think this might make a competative package.

Cheers

ian-speedy

ClioSport Club Member
  clio cup race car
Thanks Ian, I will check.

Have already PM the guy about the shafts and lever advertised on here, understandably wants to sell these with the box. If the box goes to someone as a spare / replacement then he will sell them seperatly.

Currently just taking the car apart, got some bits on here for sale which are surplus.

Might have a some questions as I get into the build - ok if I PM you so I don't keep using your thread.

Cheers

Yes if there is anything I can help with that we have picked up doing our car just ask.

Stripped my block down yesterday on the engine I bought off someone on this site ready to be rebored this week , there is a bit of rust on the front of the engine as its fitted in the car , so hopefully the people doing the rebore will have some kind of acid dip they can clean the block while they have it , if not i'll have to de-rust it before taking it to them.

Got to get the new bumper off to the painters this week as well as I broke the corner off the one fitted on the last rally I did

ian-speedy

ClioSport Club Member
  clio cup race car
Just received the head back from CNC heads , they have fitted new guides for me as well as a full porting job , re-face the head and re-cut the valve seats , all looking nice a pretty !

86994e4a.jpg

f0ed7347.jpg

1cf46a75.jpg

ce9e935a.jpg

1b14e290.jpg

2546874a.jpg

368fca55.jpg

363c0298.jpg

Should be able to build the head back up in the next couple of days , still waiting on the cat cams at the mo

ian-speedy

ClioSport Club Member
  clio cup race car
No not really , the block is away being re-bored and the crank is having a polish , had the Cat cams and valve springs delivered the end of last week , had my full gasket kit delivered , going to order a new oil and water pump today , bought a cam belt kit so that should be here today , I can crack on building the engine then.

Just got to decide on an ECU then , going to change the dash in the car at the same time as the Race car dash doesn't give enough info without having to click through it , will probably go for the DTA dash as well
http://www.dtafast.co.uk/XDash.htm

Will probably have to change the binnacle on top of the dash board to fit it.

Just had a new front bumper painted and am having that fitted back on today , I'm doing a rally in 2 weeks near Oxford so just getting it ready for that , going to try out some new Carbotech pads as the DS3000's are cooking on the shorter rallies with loads of stop starts.

I'm also doing the Llandow track day organised on here a week thursday so that will give me time to bed the brakes in properly and have a shake down for the rally , and show the race cars how its done lol
:race:

ian-speedy

ClioSport Club Member
  clio cup race car
I bought a complete engine to rebuild , my car is still fitted with the original race engine and is staying that way until this engine is built and dynoed , i'm hoping to have it all finished and ready to fit within a month , so the track day and the next rally or 2 will be with the standard engine
Cheers Ian

172 Rally Car
Brilliant thread! looks a great car, had to chuckle though - your engine will cost more than my car has to build!

I dont think class wins are on the cards for me lol!

:approve:

Real top class job

ian-speedy

ClioSport Club Member
  clio cup race car
Had delivery of the solid lifter kit from CAT yesterday , looks a good it of kit , kit comes with cams , double valve spring , vernier pulleys , solid lifters and shims , and solid followers , good basis for a big power engine.

I have just about everything for the interim engine , the block should be ready to collect from a rebore early next week.

Just bought a Clio 197 to do some track days and have a bit of fun in it , seems to go ok when you rev it , feels like it pulls stronger than the rally car

d9ffb14b.jpg

Will be bringing this along to the track day on thursday in Llandow and hopefully can have a go round with this as well as the rally car

mikekean

ClioSport Club Member
  996 C4S, 135i, E30x2
Ian what are you doing with the interim motor after the new one is built? I could be in the market for a new engine early next year if you going to be selling yours..

ian-speedy

ClioSport Club Member
  clio cup race car
I'll be selling it so will give you a shout when I do , if its still fitted for Jersey you can try it and see what you think

Cheers Ian

mikekean

ClioSport Club Member
  996 C4S, 135i, E30x2
Sounds like a plan I'm sure I'll see you on October so will talk about it then.

BG 182
just gone through all 18 pages, admittedly most sailed straight over my head! But an epic build and good luck with the rest of it!

Arctic 182, GTD
Just spent the last two hours reading this and WOW what an epic project, ok I didnt understand alot but still amazing none the less, your a hero!

ian-speedy

ClioSport Club Member
  clio cup race car
Cheers guys , I'm out on the Burpspeed trackday in Llandow on thurday with it , then doing a rally in Abingdon on Sunday , so hoping for a good result there , I'm sure its open to spectators so if anyone is local , there is a sprint series taking part on the saturday , a beer tent with entertainment on sat night , and the rally on the sunday , so should be a good weekend

.........................................................................................................................................................r..

182cup & 172 racecar
Cheers guys , I'm out on the Burpspeed trackday in Llandow on thurday with it , then doing a rally in Abingdon on Sunday , so hoping for a good result there , I'm sure its open to spectators so if anyone is local , there is a sprint series taking part on the saturday , a beer tent with entertainment on sat night , and the rally on the sunday , so should be a good weekend

Abingdon airfield Ian ?

BG 182

Do they do many a year? never knew they did any in abingdon

ian-speedy

ClioSport Club Member
  clio cup race car
Only one rally that I know of , don't know if they have more sprint series there though , you coming over next sunday seeing as your local

Only one rally there are year and don't think there are any other sprints either. There are some track days.

My local club is organising the autosolo that runs along side the sprint on the Saturday. I'm hoping to watch some of the rally on Sunday so will come over to say hello.

BG 182
Only one rally that I know of , don't know if they have more sprint series there though , you coming over next sunday seeing as your local

wish I could however I have exams all of next week so probably shouldnt take sunday off :( but let me know if you're doing any more in this area though. only been to a few but loved em

ian-speedy

ClioSport Club Member
  clio cup race car
Not much to update on the car at the mo , had an oil and filter change , and bled the brakes after Llandow last week , went to Abingdon to compete on that rally sunday and about 8 miles into the first stage the gearbox let go , coming back down to a tight hairpin from 6th , got down to 4th and it was grinding its t1t's off and tried 3rd and had no drive and it now won't change gear , bugger !!

Have taken the box out today and having it delivered to the Sadev dealers in Essex today to get it rebuilt ready for my next rally in 2 weeks

mikekean

ClioSport Club Member
  996 C4S, 135i, E30x2
Ah thats shitty luck mate, be nice to know what went wrong with the box once they open it up. Have you thought about how reliable the box is going to be with 250hp+? the boxes are only rated to 179 lbs/ft if i remember correctly.

just read through this then, all i can say is your living my dream! massive fan of this build and your only 10 minutes from me (from barry). This is something i've always wanted to get involved in but never know where to start, when are you next out local? shame about that box being a b**ch and packing in, anyway good luck with everything been spot on so far