ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

newbie with a clio cup race car

Clio Cup Racer
I changed to one piece discs too - standard 172/182 discs with carbon loraine pads. Spacer is also a standard part from Renault.

One of the 2 piece discs cracked and R Sport said they didnt have any stock so was only option.

I have R Sport diagrams of both of above if anyone needs them.

EVOgone

ClioSport Club Member
  Pink Cup Racer
Just found out from R-Sport as i need a spare rear damper that the Clio 200/197 cup car uses the same part (but just a superceeded pt number) ???

Will it have the same damping ?

Anyone got a new spare ?

Clio 2 cup racer
Need another spare?

I think it fits but the weight from clio 3 is a lot more, so the setup would not be perfect for clio 2 I guess.

ian-speedy

ClioSport Club Member
  clio cup race car
I have had a look and the race car does have larger rear bearings compared to a standard 172/182 , but none of the parts are now available from R Sport , I called them today and they say you have to fit the 172/182 one piece discs and hubs.

I damaged the wheel studs extracting them out of the hubs , I used a proper stud extractor , but where it clamped on it damaged the threads , R Sport can have these made to order , but for £18 each + vat !!

Luckily I found a pair of 172 discs with studs in my spares package , so I can fit all the new discs ect over the next few days to sort that out , I had the electrician pop in this morning as I spoke to him about getting a new electronic battery cut off , but he checked all the wiring and realised he had wired it up wrong , so half hour later it was fixed , and doesn't cut out now.

Couple of things to sort , then can take it for a test at Llandow , then will probably do another rally in Pembrey early feb :approve:

ian-speedy

ClioSport Club Member
  clio cup race car
so far yes , I was expecting some teething problems , as you know you can never expect a rally / race car to work out of the box , would have been nice to get further than 2 stages though !

I have spare rear hubs made up ready to fit if we have a failure again

ian-speedy

ClioSport Club Member
  clio cup race car
Just a quick update , the cars all fixed and ready and I'm doing a rally on sunday in Pembrey race circuit , here's hoping for a better result than the last time out , had the car all stickered up ,

9051a6cd.jpg

7cf8e2b3.jpg

c940d961.jpg

Won't be taking any stupid risks with the car as I'm also doing the West Cork rally in a months time which is the best rally I have ever done , so looking forward to going over there.

The rally starts in Pembrey at 9.30 , if anyone's going come as say hi :)

ian-speedy

ClioSport Club Member
  clio cup race car
no it hasn't been painted , its more like the volvo in the background , pic was taken on my iphone

ian-speedy

ClioSport Club Member
  clio cup race car
Had a good day today , although we went off the road and got stuck for 45 seconds before being pushed out on the first stage , and suffering a misfire for 2 stages which turned out to be some water in the sparkplugs , we managed to get 10th overall and 4th in class , had a good day and learnt a lot about the car

Just uploaded some incar stuff

th_MVIV0010.jpg

mikekean

ClioSport Club Member
  996 C4S, 135i, E30x2
Looking good, did you have a mess around with the engine cut switch on the gearbox in the end? looks much easier to change gear with now..

ian-speedy

ClioSport Club Member
  clio cup race car
I spoke to a few people with similar boxes and they say they have the same problem and they overcome it by using the clutch to change from 1st to 2nd , I was doing the same today and as you can see it worked :)

mikekean

ClioSport Club Member
  996 C4S, 135i, E30x2
Ahrite yeh, i normally just lift like you would with a dog box between 1st and 2nd. Seems to work out most of the time aslong as your not too quick. I still reckon it can be made better by altering the shim thickness though, i went from a 2.5mm shim to a 1mm shim and it only gave me jip some times, gonna go upto 1.75mm which will hopefully sort the issues out.

Seeing yours in action might of actuall given me some enthusiasm to fix mine, basically havent looked at it since October.

mikekean

ClioSport Club Member
  996 C4S, 135i, E30x2
It'll be done for October for sure. Hopefully ill be seeded a little better this year, last year was a joke!

ian-speedy

ClioSport Club Member
  clio cup race car
Good to hear , I should be up to about 250hp by then so looking to have a good run .

Got sent some pics this morning of yesterday , quite like this one , little tug on the handbrake to bring it round ready to go again :race:

RCS_Rali-Cwm-Gwendraeth-12_Car-26_MED_012.jpg

mikekean

ClioSport Club Member
  996 C4S, 135i, E30x2
250hp! nice. Lets hope its dry then aye.. Mine was spining up in 4th on Trinity last year and it wasnt even that wet haha.

ian-speedy

ClioSport Club Member
  clio cup race car
Finished the second video , had a good dabble with a type R honda , got him under braking going into the hairpin on the race track not far from the end :D quick things they are , got on the gas a bit too early and clipped a tyre wall and took the paint off my wing on this stage , he pulled quite a bit on me there so worked my ass off to reel him back in again , really enjoyed that stage

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iqrkpwU9ZHE&feature=channel

ian-speedy

ClioSport Club Member
  clio cup race car
Had issues on the last rally where the lower ball joint nut kept coming loose , found out it was the rose joints had seized , spoke to various places about new ones , as the original ones need greasing , I have changed them to PTFE lined ones and see how they last

7fe6a9d6.jpg

Off to Ireland in a week for the West cork rally so see how they cope , I have some spare ones just incase as well.

Given the car a spanner check , and made spacers to give me a bit more suspension travel in the rear , just need to choose which tyres to take so will do that early next week when we can get an idea on the forecast , Can't wait :)

ian-speedy

ClioSport Club Member
  clio cup race car
You can't , they need a grease nipple fitted into the housing to be able to do it

ian-speedy

ClioSport Club Member
  clio cup race car
Just come back from a bonkers time in Ireland doing the West Cork rally , what an amazing event , car came back in one piece as well with no dents which is always a bonus lol , just needs a new clutch as its just started to slip very slightly off the line , so whipped the engine a box out this afternoon , need to sort a starter motor issue , change the track rods on the rack , and i'll do the cam belt as well , out rallying again on sunday so need to get it back together asap !

Couple of stages from the weekend in Ireland

http://youtu.be/bz28HZdYyA0

http://youtu.be/_4nVAafmVZA

ian-speedy

ClioSport Club Member
  clio cup race car
Uploaded another in car video last night , this was probably the fastest stage of the weekend , was on the rev limiter for quite some time , which certainly grabs your attention lol , this is much better than going round and round in circles on a track :rasp:

http://youtu.be/rwqPGNlr4NY

mikekean

ClioSport Club Member
  996 C4S, 135i, E30x2
Did you change the clutch when you had the engine and box out last time Ian?

In two minds weather to change mine again when i take the engine out, Dont really fancy shelling out another £460 if i dont need to. Done 1 hill climb, 7 Stages in the Jersey and 150 miles of road driving/practice.

Looking good though, you do start notice the lack of power on those sort of roads.

ian-speedy

ClioSport Club Member
  clio cup race car
Did you change the clutch when you had the engine and box out last time Ian?

In two minds weather to change mine again when i take the engine out, Dont really fancy shelling out another £460 if i dont need to. Done 1 hill climb, 7 Stages in the Jersey and 150 miles of road driving/practice.

Looking good though, you do start notice the lack of power on those sort of roads.

I had the clutch plate repaddled when I had the box out to have the final drive changed when I built the car , I think the plates ok as I haven't done that much mileage , I think the cover has gone weak.

Yes it could have done with more power , ok down hill lol

With what you have done in yours it will be fine for a while yet

mikekean

ClioSport Club Member
  996 C4S, 135i, E30x2
Ahrite i see, Im pretty sure the clutch cover on em is just a standard one. The Helix i bought which is the clutch they used towards the end of the mk2's has an identical Valeo cover to standard, weather its stronger sprung or not i dont know but on face value they look the same. Unless yours has the older Alcon?

Be nice to see what difference some extra power does to the stage times, guess we will see in October.. my ITB and suspension budget is going straight on the new front end so will be stuck with standard again this year :(

ian-speedy

ClioSport Club Member
  clio cup race car
Took it all apart earlier and the cover and flywheel is worn , and the plate has worn to match , so I have ordered a new flywheel from renault , a valeo cover from the motor factors and sent my plate to brake reline services in cardiff to have new pads fitted , should have everything back tomorrow to refit it all , got a slight water leak on the water pump somewhere so ordered one of them from renault as well , and will be fitting new arms to the rack while its out as I have a bit of play in it.

Will be out again this sunday competing in Caerwent

mikekean

ClioSport Club Member
  996 C4S, 135i, E30x2
Took it all apart earlier and the cover and flywheel is worn , and the plate has worn to match , so I have ordered a new flywheel from renault , a valeo cover from the motor factors and sent my plate to brake reline services in cardiff to have new pads fitted , should have everything back tomorrow to refit it all , got a slight water leak on the water pump somewhere so ordered one of them from renault as well , and will be fitting new arms to the rack while its out as I have a bit of play in it.

Will be out again this sunday competing in Caerwent

Remember to machine out the double tooth on the flywheel before you fit it, im sure you already know this but just incase I thought id let you know.

ian-speedy

ClioSport Club Member
  clio cup race car
Didn't know it needed machining , would have checked it was the same anyway , how come they are different ?

Again some great in car, enjoyed watching all 3 of the stages, as you said that 3rd one was fast what do you top out at 120mph , does your co driver call the notes via an intercom probably a stupid question but I couldn't tell?

Regards Russ.............

ian-speedy

ClioSport Club Member
  clio cup race car
Yes it tops out in 6th at about 120 , and yes we have an intercom built into the helmets , I am trying to get a lead so the intercom can be connected to the camera

mikekean

ClioSport Club Member
  996 C4S, 135i, E30x2
Didn't know it needed machining , would have checked it was the same anyway , how come they are different ?

Renault management uses 60-1 trigger pattern with a double tooth, the Marelli management in our cars uses a 60-2 trigger pattern. So if you dont machine out the double tooth it wont pick up TDC and the car wont start, i found this out the hard way and had to remove the engine from the car again haha. We did mine using a turntable on a mill.