ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

New Thumbgrips...

Lou

Got my new thumbgrips through from K-Tec so had a go today removing old ones and trying out the new!

Before:
IMG_0549.jpg

During:
IMG_0550.jpg

After:
IMG_0551.jpg

Not a 100% fit but looks much better.

Now question is whether I just leave them black or get them sprayed?

koi

Audi S1
Thought the fit would have been a bit better than that. Don't know if you would be to fix this using some filler and then spraying them. Def need spraying though, silver to match the insert might be a bit in your face so go for a grey to match the wheel.

Lou

Thought the fit would have been a bit better than that. Don't know if you would be to fix this using some filler and then spraying them. Def need spraying though, silver to match the insert might be a bit in your face so go for a grey to match the wheel.

No idea - I'll need to look into that! My inserts are RB!

koi

Audi S1
my apologies should have known from the pic lol

will wait and see how you get on before I order a set ;)

Ali

V6, Trackhawk, GTS
I still think they look terrible... I'd rather a replacement steering wheel @ cost than the CF or plastic inserts! Stands out like a sore thumb!

I've had 3 RS cars and not one had an issue with the thumb grips - Do you's all Naaww at them with your teeth!? :S

Paint them and they won't stay painted for long?

I keep meaning to replace mine with a Momo Tuner or some such, but I'm reluctant to lose the airbag TBH.

Better than yours. C*nt.
I still think they look terrible... I'd rather a replacement steering wheel @ cost than the CF or plastic inserts! Stands out like a sore thumb!

I have to agree, they just look too thin and don't suit it.

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
I personally would rather have a new wheel.

Nice shiny new thumb grips and a chewed up scabby wheel. Looks daft imo.

Lou

Well unfortuantely I'm in no position to be able to purchase a new wheel so these will have to do in the mean time.

Daz.

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 200 RS EDC
to be honest I've had two sets of these now - first trial set and second "finished" set and I'm still not happy with the finish or fit - thinking of covering the first ones in leather or alcantara to integrate it better - mine are carbon though so don't look as bad as those black ones do.

Focius ST
i need to sort mine out i hate the feel of the nackered grip in my hand but my steering isnt bad enough to make me want a new steering wheel what is it thats wrong with the fitment of these?

seb

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio trophy
no offence, and not directed at the OP but having a manky steering wheel like that would od my nut in. Looks horrendous.

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode
Probably be cheaper to get a non RS wheel for the duration of owning the car, then swap them back over when come to resale. That is seriously fucked imo!!!

they're not perfect as they're moulded out of a rigid material and are presumably trimmed out of the mould. you can't see it until you take them off, but the OE rubber grips have a lip that fits into the wheel (can see the recess in the photos), so will be a better fit. (the GRP/carbon grips just sit ontop effectively)

personal pref, but mine don't bother me that much. they're all that's available as well

mainly as the leather's also gone, but i'd thought about having my wheel retrimmed in its entirety (covering grips)

S4 Avant
I can't understand how the wheels "melt" it's rediculous that it's happened to so many.

I'm not sure what I'm doing right, but mines in perfect condition... famous last words.

"Navy" N17 TWO
Ooooh nice! :)

Anyone found a way of re-trimming the wheel without covering the thumb-grips?

Lou

Dave88 said:
I can't understand how the wheels "melt" it's rediculous that it's happened to so many.

I'm not sure what I'm doing right, but mines in perfect condition... famous last words.

I have no idea either. Only thing I can think of is my car isn't garaged all so is exposed. Even at work it's a big open car park.

As said if I could afford to replace wheel I would.

RB 182
my right thumb grip is exactly the same as in your 1st picture!! it looks so horrible , but was the only thing wrong with the car when i bought it, so it wasnt going to put me off buying.
i saw the thread about these k-tec grips for sale but im un decided as to whether i should buy any. I prfer the original look! I think ill just wait until i can afford a new steering wheel.
on the colour thing- i wouldnt go with RB , prob just stick with black.

Kirsten x