ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Naples MK1 Track car project

couldn't you knock up a quick a frame from all that "scafolding" you bought and then get a small winch. i know you could rig somehing up

It has been done before lol..

150308012.jpg

Too much effort though, may aswell just buy a crane lol.

Mk1 F4R
Update on the latst week

Started off by taking the subframe apart so we could get the wishbones out ready for the 172 ones, replace the valver anti roll bar with a willams one and then all new bolts and new poly bushes for when it finished

IMG_2107.jpg

All apart, valver parts now forsale
Wot does the williams one look like ive been told its white and triple skinned

IMG_2110.jpg

Gave it a good clean with the hosepipe and wire brush

IMG_2116.jpg

IMG_2114.jpg

IMG_2117.jpg

Took the 172 wishbones to the factory to burn the old bushes out and then to cut the old metal sleeves out ready for the new poly bushes and metal sleeve to go in

IMG_1540.jpg

Both burned out and one with the metal sleeves cut out and all the mess from the both of them

IMG_1541.jpg

Cut out one

IMG_1549.jpg

One that still need to be cut out

IMG_1551.jpg

Once all the metal sleeves were out we set about putting the new ones in
Lots of copper grease is the key to hammering them in

IMG_2311.jpg

IMG_2312.jpg

Once all 4 were in f0xy then ground round the sides ready for welding/tacking in place

IMG_2303.jpg

How old is this machine its even got its own foot pedal to work it sounds funny too

IMG_2316.jpg

IMG_2315.jpg

All ground down and ready

IMG_2319.jpg

IMG_2322.jpg

Welding in progress

IMG_2323.jpg

IMG_2328.jpg

All tacked and looking good ready for some nice couloured bushes to go in

IMG_2326.jpg

Picked up new bag of bolts and washers to replace the old ones in the subframe

IMG_2464.jpg

Gave the subframe a good wash down with some Gunk to get the rest of the muck off

IMG_2343.jpg

IMG_2342.jpg

Subframe was then wiped down and a few coats of paint added same with the 172 wishbones, no pics of them

Got the subframe home and then started to build it up with the new stuff
Williams anti roll bar with all new polybushes and bolts
172 wishbones with new polybushes and bolts

IMG_2466.jpg

Lots of copper grease used in fitting the new bushes verry tight fit

IMG_2467.jpg

We then dragged the subframe in and put it back on the car

IMG_2482.jpg

IMG_2483.jpg

IMG_2485.jpg

IMG_2484.jpg

IMG_2486.jpg

I still have the challange of getting the old susspension off the car as the allen key bit on the top rounded on both sides, i ether have to find someone to lend a buzz gun from or buy one. Bad times :mad:

Mk1 F4R
Cheers wilky ill bare that in mind if i cand get one in the next few days
Subframe is looking nice and fresh

I have also put new ball joints on too

Mk1 F4R
Been trying to take the suspension off yesterday and today, before when i tryed to get them off the allen key part rounded off (Badtimes) so i was humming and harring how to get it off, since i dont have a impact gun or a air compressor i thought the best way to get it off would be to drill it out, well its only taken me the best part of 2 nights to get one side off, here is wot the damage was to the bolt and suspension

Topmount and nut

IMG_2944.jpg

Suspension top

IMG_2941.jpg

IMG_2958.jpg

Also got round to painting the inside of the arch looks miles better now

IMG_2948.jpg

Painted the hubs ready for going on

IMG_2949.jpg

more to come

Mk1 F4R
Got a little more done on the car today, started off by lending one of my mates electric impact gun, took me the whole of 10 seconds to get the other topmount off not like the other one. Once it was off i then sanded the strut tops and the bulk head down and then gave them a coat of paint again ready for the AST topmounts and FK suspension also fitted the hub too.
Im in need of quite a few bolts, the ones i got with the hubs are all rotten and the threads are broke on some so im going to see wot i can get from the bold place tomorrow, also im on the lookout for most of the engine bolts as i didnt buy a full engine and dont have them and really need to get some asap

Mk1 F4R
Since ive got to wait for these bolts to come from KAM Racing for the ast solid topmounts, that means i cant put the car on all fours yet, ive been craking on with the wiring loom, im no electrician so ive just been folowing f0xy guide, cheers for that or id have no chance of doing it.

Here is wot ive done so far
This is how i got the 172 phs 1 loom with everything still on it, as i dont need the lights side of the loom that has come off

IMG_2990.jpg

The 4 red wires going in at the top going into the red,green and black clips are for the light side of the loom and this is wot has to come out as its not needed

IMG_2995.jpg

IMG_2994.jpg

IMG_2996.jpg

One the light side of the loom is removed i then lay it doewn on the floor and then set about labeling the connectors

WIRINGLOOMLABLED.jpg

The connectors on the loom that im changing are oil level, oil presure and alternater to valver connectors, this is so i can run the valver alternater because the 172 doesnt fit and the others are so i can run the original or aftermarket guages. I also need to run some new wires too

This is the brown valver connector you need to put on the loom also a white connector with four purple wires coming out of it. This replaces the 172 white connector (above near the fuse box)

IMG_3003.jpg

This is how the loom is now still needs some wires adding and some connectors when i get them off the valver loom, ive also stripped everthing off it so i can run the new wires and then put fresh tape and conduit on

IMG_3004.jpg

All of the old stuff, there was quite alot of tape on it

IMG_3005.jpg

More later

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
Very nice work, obvious you've put a lot of effort in and I love the "go for it" approach. Shame about the engine troubles, hopefully that'll be sorted soon enough.

Love the colour.

Mk1 F4R
Yep cheers robbos

Im in talks with someone on here about a bottom end
Just trying to get my head round the wiring situation atm and the go for it approach, well im tring to but few problems atm then it sould be full steam ahead :D

Does 100% NOT fit if you are using the old school Mk1 brackets (from Volvo 480 or low spec model clio), I tried the other day and its miles out from lining up with the tensioner bracket, both horizontally and vertically.

Although, if you run the Renault 5 GTX brackets, you can run the 172 alternator.

wilky19

ClioSport Club Member
  Leon FR 184
Does 100% NOT fit if you are using the old school Mk1 brackets (from Volvo 480 or low spec model clio), I tried the other day and its miles out from lining up with the tensioner bracket, both horizontally and vertically.

Although, if you run the Renault 5 GTX brackets, you can run the 172 alternator.

is this only a problem if you using just alternator and not the pas pump+alternator

Sorry should have said its only on the non-pas setup what I was on about.

Not sure on the PAS brackets situation etc.

'92 172, Lotus Elise
so it fits if you use the right brackets ;)

i've got a 172 alt on my PAS set-up... might need a custom bracket for the top bolt hole, but i just made one out of flatbar

The older brackets can be got farrrrrrr cheaper ;)

Would be ideal if it did fit, but the offset of the single hole is way off

Mk1 F4R
Well i think im going to stick with the valver alternator atm as i have one and know it works fine, just need to get the brackets now

Mk1 F4R
Little more done over the last 2 nights

Lastnight i finished off the wiring loom and labled it, leaving me with only one or two wires to solder as i need some bigger heat shrink then its sorted. Ill be then testing it in the car first before i wrap it up

IMG_3006.jpg

IMG_3008.jpg

Few more wires pulled out

IMG_3009.jpg

Today ive been and collected some more bolts/nuts and washers to put the hubs, caliper and suspension on, i also painted the off-side arch as i didnt have any paint left over from the other tin, i think its looks rather smart now

Fitted the pads (PF97 carbon metallic) into the newly refurbed callipers.
Hoping not to kill myself as the car will feel so much different

IMG_3010.jpg

off-side

IMG_3012.jpg

Near-side

IMG_3015.jpg

ill be lowering the car onto all four whhels tomorrow once ive pushed the piston back into the calliper and fitted it, wheels back on, then on the floor, all i have to do then is wait till my braided lines come then i can fit them.

Last edited:
  Mk1 F4R
Going to near london on saturday to pic a bottom end up from dangerous_dave, he says it was rebuilt 5k ago so hopefully this will be the lats one i have to buy and everything will be ok with it.

Does anyone know anything about this engine im buying off him

Last edited:
  Petrol Blue 182.
I live 30 secs away him!, hes a sound guy form what i know, i bought interior off him, very nice and polite.

Mk1 F4R
FINALLY the car is now back on all four wheels
Lowered the car down onto the topmounts to hold them in place but i cant screw the dampers down yet as i havent received the nuts from kam racing yet, i have the new style nut but they are such a crap design they chew the metal away and ruin the anodised finish, but im really glad its back down now cant wait to get the rest finished yet

IMG_3017.jpg

IMG_3018.jpg

IMG_3019.jpg

IMG_3020.jpg

IMG_3021.jpg

IMG_3022.jpg

IMG_3026.jpg

IMG_3027.jpg

IMG_3031.jpg

Mk1 F4R
Got back abot 30mins ago from picking up my new bottom end, 450 mile round trip it was also stoppet off at willylovers(now cliogtt) house and got myself a williams gearbox, so thanks to both guys for those. Other stuff purchessed too :D

Im going to see if this bottom end is ok by craking open the sump, please to god let this one be the last one i have to buy and its all ok, if it is ill be building it up quick so it can go into the car.

Ill let you know how i get on later