ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Naples MK1 Track car project

Mk1 F4R
Got the bottom end to the factory and then upon to the stand, started to undo the sump bolts and two have rounded off (sighhhhh) rest of them were ok, so it look like a bit of drilling tomorrow to get them out

wilky19

ClioSport Club Member
  Leon FR 184
should have taken a chisel and hammer to the rounded bolts and knocked them off.

R5 GTT EFI Clio.
If you got room, use a grinder, and cut a small slit into the side of the head, then used a driver + hammer and beat it, it will undo then wind it out by hand.

Let us know how you got on.

Edit: i did this to my sump plug but i had good access with the disk, mine was rounded to f**k, had to get a new one!

Last edited:
  audi a6 3.0tdi
I think you should give up and buy my ph1 ;) Its looking good and will be silly quick when finished :)

Mk1 F4R
Cheers for the advice guys might try some of those ideas if it comes to it

W17gle id love your black phs 1 but ive just spent all my money on this lol
Ill take you out for a ride when its done ;)

Mk1 F4R
GOOD NEWS as they say 3rd time lucky

After rounding two of the bolts the other day finaly got them off before, took the sump and baffle out and everthing looks clean and NO swarf this time. Im really happy now which means i can now start to build it up clean it and paint ready for dropping into the car

Mk1 F4R
Im over the moon after searching for one for so long
Ill be starting on it tomorrow putting the head on and then giving it all a clean, then a good lick of paint

Mk1 F4R
Cheers savi, Im hoping the rest will be relativley straight forward as i now have most of the parts few more bolts and stuff to get yet though to put the engine together

Mk1 F4R
Sorry but im going to have to sigh again

Finaly got the head screwed down onto the bottom end, Got the gunk out and gave it all a good wash down, left for a bit then wiped off.Later to come back and have a little mess with the pully and then to find out that its bent , both pully and water pump pullys are bent so im hoping it is only the pully and nothing else to serious.
Fingers crossed and ill be having a look at it tomorrow
Wounder wot happend to it?

IMG_3071.jpg

IMG_3069.jpg

Few random pics of the engine and putting the head on
This is were i had to dremel the bolt off

IMG_3043.jpg

IMG_3042.jpg

IMG_3045.jpg

IMG_3052.jpg

IMG_3059.jpg

IMG_3063.jpg

IMG_3076.jpg

clio 1.8 16v, civic vti
or a windage tray, designed to stop the crank webs churning up the oil in the sump, dont see how it would 'baffle' as such, but if it has it, use it for sure.

Do fr4's suffer from oil surge problems? only asking due to your lack of luck finding a good bottom end (more to the point do f7r's in my case?)

Never heard of it being a problem on here... I use the cheapest 10w40 money can buy and hammered it round track all year long and never had a problem. Of them all I thought Mallory Park may have caused issues but it was spot on.

clio 1.8 16v, civic vti
Thats good to hear, im using some millers 10w40 in mine as i dont want any bottom end problems at all!

Jap Shed
where the hell did you learn how to do all this stuff?? amazing!
Stripping and re building the engine? skills..

Mk1 F4R
Been doing abit of painting over the last few days and abit of tidying

The gearbox im going to be using is a williams one jc5

IMG_3036.jpg

everthing has been cleaned and brushed down ready for paint

IMG_3037.jpg

IMG_3039.jpg

IMG_3040.jpg

The heat shild is off a mk1 phs 3 1.2 so im told

IMG_3041.jpg

Everthing has now been painted and looking good ready for fitting

IMG_3079.jpg

IMG_3082.jpg

IMG_3084.jpg

Done a little grinding ready for plates to be made to cover the holes were the heating pipes,fan and throttle cable were also tidied the car up and also the garage for abit more space as i done have much room to work in

IMG_3086.jpg

IMG_3077.jpg

Ground the lip off were the fan used to go ready for covering so no water can come through ionto the car

williams and trophy
that box could cause some issues.... engine wont fit with it there ;)

lookin good mate. hope it all comes together nicely for ya.

Mk1 F4R
heatshield looks nice and compact!

I thought it looked alot better than the valver one rather than it being half the way over the back of the engine bay

that box could cause some issues.... engine wont fit with it there ;)
lookin good mate. hope it all comes together nicely for ya.

Cheers, i only put it in there as i dont have much room to put thing in the garage comes out when im working on the car and then when the engine goes in im sure it goes on the side lol ;)

clio 1.8 16v, civic vti
Whats the reason behind using the williams box then? and has anyone got a list of all the different boxes and their gear ratio's and final drives i could steal??

Matteh created a VERY useful excel file with all the ratios and boxes in, it draws pretty graphs and compares different boxes against each other...

PM me your email address if you want me to mail it to you, im sure you wont mind eh Matt!