ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

My Z3M Coupe

RB 182 195bhp
I know this is a post late on in the thread, but how do these compare too e46 m3's? I was looking at upgrading too an m3 next, (in a few years realisticly), but I didn't realise these were such a close match on performance. What are the engine differences between the two giving the m3 slightly more power?

As an all-round use-able car I'm pretty sure the e46 m3 is hands down better.

Th Z3M's came with 2 engine options; 98-00 cars had the e36 m3 engine (s50), later 00-01 cars had the same S54 lump as the e46 m3, albeit with a slightly lower rev limit so they dont make quite the same top end power.

The S50 cars are meant to be 321bhp, but like the 172's this is very rarely seen, mine is a healthy car and made 296 with a power-sapping open cone filter
The S54 cars often make much closer to their claimed 325bhp, with a remap to raise the limiter they can frequently get to exactly the same as the m3 boys'.

The Z's character is however completely different i'm told (having never driven an e46 m3). The Z has fewer gears (only 5), rear suspension from the 1980's e30 3 series, a limited slip diff, and of course less seats and (i think) less weight. To me it feels something like an unhinged american muscle car, it is desperate to go sideways and feels like a real 'brute'.

I'm quite sure an m3 would be faster and easier to drive (slow or quick), whilst obviously being more practical.

For me though, the Z is way more exciting and feels more special, every time I get in it even to go to work it feels like an 'event', it turns so many heads as well, which im not sure an M3 would in quite the same way. Its certainly fast enough day-to-day, I can confirm the claimed 0-60 time of 5.2 seconds is somewhere mighty close to the mark, if you let it rev, the thing just pulls and pulls and pulls!

In short, decide if you need 4 seats, practicality and ton of other owners to draw help from,

or

2 seats and lunacy, but with a way smaller support network and all the downfalls that brings.

RB 182 195bhp
Thank you, is the s50 engine from the e36 evo then? Rather than the normal one. Does sound like a cracking little car, and a lovely example. I may be a fellow owner in a couple of years too come!

Some small updates to tell of.

Finally got round to fitting a couple of goodies from America. A little company out of Kansas make various bits for the M Coupe and other old M's.

Went for their rear diffuser and front mini-splits.

Pretty rare to see them in the UK, and I loved the extra 'mean' they give to the front and rear particularly.

DSC00403_zps23f111eb.jpg

DSC00409_zpsbbb535ea.jpg

DSC00408_zpsb594a6ab.jpg

DSC00407_zps5853bd6f.jpg

DSC00406_zps8b2743ee.jpg

DSC00411_zps22ac7e67.jpg

Cheers
Tom

RB 182 Cup
I think these are one of the most visually amazing cars ever, all the right curves and bulges everywhere!

Never driven one, but I image they're equally good to drive too.

What's more, it looks like I can get my 3 Westies in the back too.

This looks an absolutely beautiful example, very jealous

Heez

ClioSport Club Member
  Superleggera'd Bean
The diffuser isn't big enough for that type. If it was a little less angular and smoothed off like a 200 diffuser it would work. At the moment it looks straight of a matchbox toy!

The front splits look awesome though. Will always love these I think.

You need these in high power silver!

attachment.jpg

Thanks for all the comments guys.

Love the wheels heez. There was a chap on ebay selling silver reps in some nice sizes, but the OEM fitment on the rears is mental. 17x9 and et8, very few aftermarket wheels end up looking right.

The GT3 is my old mans, its also not a GT3. Its an '02 facelift 3.6 carrera 4 with a full GT3 kit from the factory. Its for sale atm for something silly like £17k.

e91 330d/type r mini
Looking good Tom when I spied you on kirkstall road the other day, your car definately has a presence on the road, dam you why don't I have a m powered car more :-(

Waitey

ClioSport Club Member
  Alpina D3, AC Cobra
Can't say I'm a fan of the rear thing, given me good reason to talk my friend out of it now! Although his car is black so it may work...

Honestly, I've never liked these cars but they have never been in such a good nick as yours! looks only a few years old with the little updates,
the rear diffuser is ok not 100% on it but its your car, the front ones looks sick as fuuuuuck,
half way through the thread I was gutted to see that some prick crashed into you! Did the insurance pay out or did the guy just not admit liability?

Awesome car, awesome read! :D

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
Rear doesn't work but simply love the thing, it's batshit mental. Really nice mate. I'm not usually an Imola fan but suits that shape.

half way through the thread I was gutted to see that some prick crashed into you! Did the insurance pay out or did the guy just not admit liability?

Awesome car, awesome read! :D

Many thanks man.

The guy wouldn't admit fault which was a bit laughable but still worrying initially.

Luckily his insurance company were not as thick as him and immediately admitted liability on his behalf.

All sorted now and I have to say the whole process dealing with his insurers (Quinn) as well as mine was excellent start to finish.

My God I love these cars soooo much. Like the others I'm not entirely sold in the diffuser but other than that it's a f**king lovely car that. Love it. Lemme know if you're ever selling it.

I still keep checking these out on PH and AT and vacillating wildly on whether to go for it. I talk myself out of it and then go and read something like this thread and I'm off again, seeing what's for sale and checking my bank balance. More than anything it's the fear of something breaking on it. The price of the car, consumables and running the thing doesn't worry too much. It's if something breaks I'd be getting concerned.

Gaz85

ClioSport Club Member
  330e, golf r, EP3 s4
Love this car, and the fact you never seen any up my way makes it even better!

Waitey

ClioSport Club Member
  Alpina D3, AC Cobra
Not moved for a month and it was properly flat.

It's on KW coilovers and spacers all round. Only one in the UK with an black and orange interior too!

322AC147-49AB-413C-8A85-082166292A43-424-0000007A6B43F8D6.jpg

Fiesta ST-3
Did you see me drive past in the bg 182 both today and the other day? Car looked great as you were pulling out tonight!!

George@RTR_Parts

ClioSport Trader
  need BRAKES? PM me
Look brilliant these. Glad you got it back and they've done a good job on repair mate. Like the front splitters, not sure on rear diffuser . Think it looks meaner with gap between tail pipes imo.

Looks nice in red though

Fiesta ST-3
Have to be honest I didn't see you today, I was out fitting a couple of days back when a rather tasty BG 182 was at the lights, that must have been you.

That was indeed me! I thought one of the two guys must have been you as I could see your car in the background. I was going to give you the thumbs up but wasn't 100% sure if it was you or not. Next time, I'll be sure to!!

After a massive delay, I finally took a quick video of how the Eisenmann exhausts sound.

No other major developments with the old bus, I have however swapped the simota out for an internally modified standard airbox and have a BMC panel filter on the way for it. Doesn't feel much different at all tbh, its obviously a bit quieter though, the panel filter may change that but we will see.

Due an oil & brake fluid service in another 1000 miles or so, I'm going to give the ridiculously expensive Millers Nanodrive stuff a try - see if it lives up to all the hype.

Anyway, video - Go HD for NOOOISE:

Cheers
Tom

Last edited by a moderator: