ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

My VTEC Mini - build diary

MK2 FRS/Mini Type R
Well, managed to make some progress on the dashboard...

This is the final layout I decided on.

dash01.jpg

All the holes cut out...
dash02.jpg

Test fit of guages.. not 100% happy as you may notice the larger gap between the tacho and speedo.
dash03.jpg

The light cluster doesnt stand out as much as I'd hoped.
dash04.jpg

dash05.jpg

But all in all its coming together nicely.

Cheers

Chris

MK2 FRS/Mini Type R
Well only just managed to get back in the garage after the festive period.

Unfortunatly a pipe burst in the old mans garage and flooded the mini interior so it all had to come out!. :-(
Seat.jpg

Gave me a chance to get in the back of the car and figure out how I was going to fastern my harnesses.

The wiring is about 95% complete now, just the speedo, tacho and fuel gauge to get working and its complete. :-D

A few pics of the interior gauges wired up and working.

Dash02-1.jpg

Dash01-1.jpg

And one of my head lights with my chavvy blue light tints!

Lights.jpg

Thats all for now!.

Chris

MK2 FRS/Mini Type R
They are the side lights, the units have an additional bulb that illuminates the outer ring. The bulbs have various coloured covers but ill remove so they are just normal white, was just seeing what they were like!..

e91 330d/type r mini
looking good matey :) shame about the water issue though.
my mini came with those style lights but there not what i would of chosen personally but will have to do as im not spending even more money on some lights.
have you sorted taking the dash for flocking?

172 Ph1, Lupo GTI
Last VTEC mini I saw was at Santa Pod and it torque steered so much off the line. Looked mental! Have you budgeted a diff to help traction?

williams and trophy
good work mate. did you buy the subframe etc or fab it yourself? i know when i was looking at doing this everything was easily available. which put me off a bit tbh, so the f7r was measured up instead ;)

MK2 FRS/Mini Type R
Finally got round to making the harness bar yesterday. Just need to get it powder coated..

05032011162.jpg

05032011166.jpg

05032011167.jpg

05032011168.jpg

Interior is nearly finished now, just need to sort a few little jobs out.
Cheers
C

Last edited:
  MK2 FRS/Mini Type R
Ooooof - I wouldn't like to think how much I have put into this !! It was only supposed to be a matter of throwing a VTEC motor in a mini!... 6 years later.... Ooooof

MK2 FRS/Mini Type R
Got the Harness bar back from powder coating.
picture.php

Made a shelf to level out back seat area so it could be carpeted
picture.php

picture.php

Carpeted the parcel shelf and seats, then finished of with some beading.
picture.php

Then put the harness bar on and painted the inner tubs.
picture.php

picture.php

Finally got the air filter fitted too.
picture.php

Cheers
Chris

how long before its on the road do you think - have you sorted the rear arches yet - got to agree will look much better with them widened to match the front
top build though - well impressed

MK2 FRS/Mini Type R
Cheers!... I wanna get it on the road by the back end of this month!... (fingers crossed)

Ive got another set of rear arches in the garage and Ive just bought some wheel spacers and longer studs for the rears so I could make a start - just want to get the rest of the car finished first! :)

e91 330d/type r mini
Cheers!... I wanna get it on the road by the back end of this month!... (fingers crossed)

Ive got another set of rear arches in the garage and Ive just bought some wheel spacers and longer studs for the rears so I could make a start - just want to get the rest of the car finished first! :)
looking good mate,whos going to finish first i wonder :) im looking to be finished in around 6 weeks so i think it may be you :(

MK2 FRS/Mini Type R
looking good mate,whos going to finish first i wonder :) im looking to be finished in around 6 weeks so i think it may be you :(

Well considering you have only been building yours for 6 months, I think you win hands down - Is yours only for track days? or you gonna use it on the road too??

e91 330d/type r mini
Well considering you have only been building yours for 6 months, I think you win hands down - Is yours only for track days? or you gonna use it on the road too??
lol, yeah i have been a bit full on with this build but im an impatient sod.
my mini will be fully road legal but its mainly being built for trackdays and a weekend blast or two :)

MK2 FRS/Mini Type R
Managed to get the car out of the garage last week and give it a quick swill down

picture.php

picture.php

Also made a start on my grill, after hours of head scratching I 'think' Im finally getting somewhere.

21042011233.jpg

21042011234.jpg

24042011238.jpg

grill.jpg

Hopefully get it fitted this weekend

Cheers
Chris

MK2 FRS/Mini Type R
Bit of an update from the last few weeks.

It was either buy some new quarter bumpers off Ebay that look cheap and tinny, or get mine re-chromed.. so I got mine re-chromed and Im glad I did cos they look awesome! cant wait to get these and the grille on the car tomorrow!...

picture.php

Made a start fitting the bonnet this weekend, the only 2 fixings that will be seen are these. They still needs a bit of work to get lined up better, but initial tests seemed successful

picture.php

picture.php

Pic of bumpers and grille test fitted.

picture.php

Cheers
C

MK2 FRS/Mini Type R
Been doing a few bits and pieces. Made some grille fixings and finalised the bonnet locking mechanism.

Grillemounts.jpg

Minifront.jpg

Mounted.jpg

Bonnet just needs painting and need to fix a rear number plate light on.

Here is the rear number plate light Ive decided to use. After months of searching on Ebay for something suitable, I stumbled upon it on the back of my old mans MG Midget!..

Decided to fill the recesses.

filled.jpg

Then a few coats of paint.

painted.jpg

Cheers
Chris

MK2 FRS/Mini Type R
Had a good few days on the car recently spraying bonnet and re-doing the boot as we noticed a few minor dents.

Just a few minor details to take care of then she is off for a four wheel alignments and MOT..

Fin01.jpg

Fin02.jpg

Fin03.jpg

Fin04.jpg

Fin06.jpg

Fin07.jpg

Fin08.jpg

Finally getting there!!..

Cheers

Chris

Last edited:
  MK2 FRS/Mini Type R
^^^ this actually is one tho!.. not like a saxo with a type R badge!....

ps - thanks - I think :-D

Last edited:

frayz

ClioSport Club Member
Lol, wasnt knocking it dude, like i said its perfect. Just feel the badge cheapens it as the rest of the build is lovely.

Kinda dont think it needs it ya know. Much more impressive to passers by if nobody knows ;)

e91 330d/type r mini
getting there mate, im sure we will be finished around the same time, then we will have to have a meet :) currently got the head off of mine after my poor dyn sesion :( will be back up and running soon.
i know you said you havent driven yours yet, well let me tell you if it was anything like mine your in for a treat as i was gobsmacked and mines only a baby in comparioson to yours, enjoy :)