ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

My VTEC Mini - build diary

ITB BG 182
Initially intended doing the Zcars conversion with Busa in back but they are a bit too hardcore for me... very expensive, noisey, lumpy, no reverse.... great track day cars tho!!...
I sold a mini that had part gsx1300r conversation done, i just couldnt afford to keep it going. Wish i F'ing kept it an worried about the debt a little longer.

Good read, hope you keep it going. WHich of the B18 engines do you have?

MK2 FRS/Mini Type R
Thought I better keep you informed. Not been working on this as much as I'd have liked so progress has been slow. Spent some time beefing up the front coilover mounts as they were puny and never really designed to take the added weight of the motor, a lot more confident the mounts wont sheer off on the first run now.... thats if I ever have a first run!..

The wiring is a fekkin nightmare!.. managed to get everything hooked up but no spark!!.. well there was - then there wasnt!!. and it doesnt look like fuel was getting to the cylinders as the plugs were dry!.. so back to the drawing board!

It did have an immobiliser but we have bypassed it, not sure if this could be part of the problem though!..

Anyone on here familiar with B18 type R wiring?? OBD2a ECU?

Thanks
Chris

MK2 FRS/Mini Type R
Hi,

Well after spending a few weeks working out how to get past the Immobiliser in the ECU she finally fired into life.

What a feeling!..

Cheers
Chris

Last edited by a moderator:
  FN2 Type R +MK6 Golf
When You Take it out on the road you need to meet a 182 from the forum and then have a little D/C blast to show us how fast it really is.

Looks brill...

e91 330d/type r mini
bloody awesome car, im that inspired by this car that much that i am now selling my track car with the intention of getting a mini.
you have skills

e91 330d/type r mini
are you using a aftermarket ecu or the existing honda loom spliced into the mini, any info or pointers would be great as i have just about hooked up a deal a full b16a conversion for my mini. i see your also in leeds would be really nice to be able to have a butchers over yours if that would be possible? tell me to p**s off and dont be nosey if you want lol

Ph1 Clio V6, Ph2 172
When You Take it out on the road you need to meet a 182 from the forum and then have a little D/C blast to show us how fast it really is.

Looks brill...

Think these Vtec Mini's really do define what quick is. There are a few kicking about in Northampton, most built by a friend of mine. He has a stealthy black one and last time I see him on the road, he was pushing a TVR Chimera out of the fast lane........I would have payed to see the TVR owners face.

This car looks brilliant. I do prefere the Mini's with hard core tuned A seires engines in myself but I can definatly see why people do these engine conversions. They look great, they go brilliantly and they out handle pretty much everything with out huge spoilers and wings.

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
WOW! Followed this since you first put it up.

Can't wait to see the finished article!

Ollie's Silver Cup
First time I've seen this thread; just had a good read through it all!

Very impressive project; fantastic car you've built there! :)

MK2 FRS/Mini Type R
Thanks again for all the positive comments... :)

With regard to the ECU and loom, we used all the existing mini side for all lights, ignition (barrel to starter) etc. We then used the honda engine loom for the engine.It all depends what ECU you get with your engine as the one we got had a built in immobiliser which caused many problems... Many I have seen have used the full loom and hidden behind the dash...which wasnt really an option for us as we wanted to keep everything to a minimum...

And ill let you have a look round it when Ive got it road worthy!.. :)

The build is coming close to completion although we are fitting a different clutch master and making a few more mods to the bulkhead. Also been buying some more bits - air filter, carbon door cards and other cosmetic parts like a grille from a chevy truck to integrate with the standard clubman one... well trying to if it ever turns up from the U S of A... will post updates as and when they occur...

The A-series can be awesomely quick...... for a few days.... and stupidly expensive, I was after a bit more reliability :-D

Thanks again
Chris

e91 330d/type r mini
cannot wait to get mine into a similar position as yours, had my b16 conversion delivered yesterday complete with engine :)
i go on holiday for a week on sunday so wont even be able to get started yet :(

MK2 FRS/Mini Type R
cannot wait to get mine into a similar position as yours, had my b16 conversion delivered yesterday complete with engine :)
i go on holiday for a week on sunday so wont even be able to get started yet :(

Cool - have you decided which frame you are going with?...

C

epic build, reminded me of my mates old mini which was a racing green SE, I also had a mini as my first car a few years back, a 1990 checkmate and have seen a fair few of these vtec minis at MITP and other pod shows to know just how epic they are!

To give people an idea how light they are, 2 of you can pick up and wheel around a mini when standard with everything in and no light weight front etc

l_c05327580888701c26ce7d5440e07068.jpg

e91 330d/type r mini
Cool - have you decided which frame you are going with?...

C
I have got the watsons kit, it has come in a clubman that has been damaged at the back and had the roof cut off so pretty much just the case of swapping over with a dam good clean up and fitting the clubman front end and sorting the ecu and loom, :)

MK2 FRS/Mini Type R
Not really much to report apart from the car is almost complete...

Ive been busy buying some nice finishing off bits and pieces..

Carbon Fibre door cards
doorcards.jpg

Chevy Tahoe Suburban Grill
317254114_o1.jpg

This is the only grille I could find with the slatts how I want them, gonna be a bit of a mission getting them to fit in the clubman surround.

K&N Filter
Filter.jpg

Type R gear nob!... (cant believe how much it weighs!..)
Gearnob.jpg

As mentioned the car is about 95% complete - got exhaust wrapped and made a heat cover for alternator.
p003.jpg

Thats all for now

Chris

e91 330d/type r mini
your getting there now, i cannot wait to be in a similar position as you.i have a long long way to go , i been buying aswell have treated myself to an aftermarket ecu and some itb's :)

MK2 FRS/Mini Type R
your getting there now, i cannot wait to be in a similar position as you.i have a long long way to go , i been buying aswell have treated myself to an aftermarket ecu and some itb's :)

Ha ha ha!!... these are on my shopping list too!!.. have you heard your motor running yet?

How much did you pay for your damaged mini??.. would I be correct in assuming you are just re-shelling it?.. or are you going all out and doing a full re-build??..

Chris

e91 330d/type r mini
Ha ha ha!!... these are on my shopping list too!!.. have you heard your motor running yet?

How much did you pay for your damaged mini??.. would I be correct in assuming you are just re-shelling it?.. or are you going all out and doing a full re-build??..

Chris

no not heard it runnng yet but if it does have problems im not overly worried as it will be an excuse to rebuild it only better :)
i already have a mini that i will be swapping it into, this is the one i have it needs a few bits doing but dont all minis lol
http://www.cliosport.net/forum/showthread.php?529867-my-new-toy-clio-replacement

i will pm you what i paid for the bumped one as i dont want it broadcasted to everyone.