ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

My Replica Build ( pearl black 1.2 )

172 Rep
Thought I'd make a proper thread on this, as it's easier and can put more info into it

Had a thread before than was boring
And the car looked pretty boring too
sabe8uzy.jpg
2are7ehy.jpg

The horrible ripspeed alloys drove me insane and the fact it had 2.0 16v badges made It even worse, with the first few months of having the car it was horrendous, electrical faults, wouldn't start, oil leaks, eventually the car blew up, literally and nearly killed me in the process with it locking up on the motorway and being able to see nothing as the car covered and filled with smoke

New engine and gearbox and new clutch was sourced with only 50,000 miles on
u4yru8av.jpg

Yes I'm aware the air filter is not a performance gain mod, sounds amazing and that's the only purpose for it

je4amu8e.jpg

172 wheels went on, made the car look 10x better

4yvajusa.jpg

Then a set of fk euro rear lights went on, love these rear lights, look immense

Then the big change happened, I looked at a silver 172, 69,000 miles, new belts etc, solid top mounts, remapped, stealth exhaust, ktec air filter, was an absolute mint
ygy8ubam.jpg

Done a full check on the car and it had been a recovered stolen car, cat C, put me off and the dealer apparently didn't know, had my deposit handed back a week later, was gutted beyond thought

So I thought I'd just build a replica, as I would of struggled to run the 172, more money than sense at that moment

repadyme.jpg

172 kit going on and was purchased for £200, few marks etc but I could live with it

u5ahy5ar.jpg

Loved how it turned out, this is my favourite bit, I had a mess fitting the clips for the side skirts so I secured them by 3 bolts and a load of tiger seal, has not budged one bit haha

rahepe3a.jpg

Proper bodge job ;)

Then I refurbed my 172 alloys in graphite grey, looked the nuts when finished

8u3u2yda.jpg
u3une6us.jpg

Just needed spacers and it was pretty much there besides it sat like a monster truck
Decided to stop for a while and give it a rest as the car had a huge repair, new wishbones, ball joints etc, new hubs and drums and discs and pads, done my bank balance a lot of damage so she sat like this for a while with no further mods
gy3a6udu.jpg

Then finally I saved up a bit, lowering springs arrived, not long ago I purchased a set of turinis from a member on here, cracking bloke !

te4a8e8u.jpg

uhymabe6.jpg

Springs fitted by Scrooge on here and his mate, cracking job very pleased

Then a before and after of how she sat

ja3e5aje.jpg

ezusemuj.jpg

Finally to finish her off I just need spacers and an interior and maybe a few more bits to spruce up to finish it all, up for sale soon and a 172 cup shall be taking her place, this car has been an absolute joy and I'm proud of the work that has gone into it, yes it's a replica, but the total cost of everything come too £600 that was, the kit, wheels, springs, and little bits and bobs that I probably missed out, way cheaper than what it was to buy and insure a sport, feedback, rate or slate welcome :)

2007 Clio 197
+1 for spacers, The 172 arches really make the wheels look hidden. Or if you wanted to go mad, you could go for a 172 subframe conversion and get the big brakes etc too....

172 Rep
I was considering doing that, but I just don't have the effort or time too, ordered 20mm hubcentric spacers earlier, can't wait for them to go on

Arctic 182
+1 for the spray job on the wheels! How did you do it? I need to do my 172 allots, they are a bit curbed :/

172 Rep
This looks real nice! Love the finish you got on those wheels! did you do that yourself with some spray cans?

Yep done myself, not perfect but I did spend 4-5 hours doing them and that was just prep, left them overnight in the shed to dry, courtesy of halfords spray cans haha ;)

2007 Clio 197
Brave job lol, finding it easy?

Its not that big a job. Disconnecting old brakes lines, 8 bolts and old axles off. 8 bolts and new axle with disc brakss is on, reconnect the pipes, new abs rongs probably needed, but thats an easy job! Then just need to bleed my brakes.

I got the full rear axle for 70 bucks. Including calipers, pipes etc

Last edited:
  172 Rep
That's cracking, haven't ever really heard of people doing that to non sports but id like to see a thread on it

2007 Clio 197
That's cracking, haven't ever really heard of people doing that to non sports but id like to see a thread on it

Ill take a bunch of pictures when im working on it, and ill get a how to guide done. my WIP thread hasnt been updated in a while. Ill need to get back to it, been way too busy with my honours project at uni.

172 Rep
Ill take a bunch of pictures when im working on it, and ill get a how to guide done. my WIP thread hasnt been updated in a while. Ill need to get back to it, been way too busy with my honours project at uni.

Wicked mate will take a look may even be a future mod for me to take on !

172 Rep
whilst Fitting bumpers, skirts and rear bumpers did you run into any complications or did it all go smoothly?

Only drama was getting the passenger wing off as you have to remove the scuttle and wiper and it's all rusted etc

And the clips for the skirts, couldn't be bothered so I tiger sealed them on, have not Moved one bit haha

Sounds like the plan to have haha I'm building a 182 rep out of my 1.4, I'll put up a few pics on my profile and make a post when it's ready for the camera, she's a dirty girl atm hehe :p

172 Rep
Sounds like the plan to have haha I'm building a 182 rep out of my 1.4, I'll put up a few pics on my profile and make a post when it's ready for the camera, she's a dirty girl atm hehe :p

Send me a link to the thread when you do mate :)

RMDavis

ClioSport Club Member
Cheers mate, I should change my forum name as everyone calls me tim but my real names joe haha ;) did you get your turinis on in the end?

Haha thats random! Yes mate I'm going get them re-furbed and probably put them on after winter (hard to wait though) Mines still on the standard 172 alloy's. I've made a project thread too now as I thought it was about time! I'll keep an eye on yours though bud.