ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

My new racecar project (Icemans old shell)

Russ Rallye

ClioSport Club Member
Well managed to get the car back on its wheels tonight. Finished all the fabrication and machine work on the brakes and suspension, made some changes to the AST mounting holes on the front stuts so i can use the oe 14mm bolts and still get as much camber as i need. Managed to get my new hubs fitted as well, got a few pics of the component parts for those that havent seen them.
45414889605671-vi.jpg

39414889599290-vi.jpg

All torqued up to spec, new wheel bearings fitted. Removed my 20mm spacers for this season too, the hub kit already increases the track by approx 5mm apparently and i have 6mm more either side too so track width will be down approx 18mm from last year (9mm per side) improving the much talked about scrub radius. Car is booked into Blink motorsport again on the 15th March for a suspension setup, hopefully just the front geo to do and the corner weights to tweak if required.

More importantly my brakes are finished and fitted after much trial fitting, machining etc. 295mm x 28mm grooved discs with Alcon 4 pot 'B' Type radial mount calipers on custom made bells and brackets with Pagid RST3 pads. Looking forward to trying them out and expect a massive improvement over my setup from the last race that tried to kill me!
38414889598476-vi.jpg

40414889600855-vi.jpg

47414889607421-vi.jpg

Close to the wheel! Tried all my sets of my wheels, 2118's, Ultralegs and PR 1.2's and all fit fine.
43414889603852-vi.jpg

Discs actually look small under the wheels even though theyre only 15's!
42414889602413-vi.jpg

My new brake hoses should be here this week so i can fit them along with my bigger master cylinder and get the system bled.
PAS hoses should be getting made up by Pirtek this week too hopefully, need to chase the guy tomorrow see how hes getting on. Only got a few jobs left after that, my radiator is back with its brackets welded on so that can be fitted too. Some wiring jobs after that, got an Armtech battery cut off to replace my cartek one that failed before oulton last season, hopefully this one should be more reliable as it isn't solid state. Also have to wire my fuel sender to the dash and calibrate it, currently have no fuel level indication, so that be a good idea!
Looking at doing a Trackday at Oulton on Friday 21st March at Oulton to shake the car down before the first race at Rockingham on the 5th April, looks like we have a stand alone race instead of mixing it with the nippon guys so that should be good assuming we can get the numbers up. Most importantly, i currently dont have a tow vehicle so i need to buy a cheap stop gap until i find a nice transporter. Circa £1500 on a decent diesel estate with towbar if anyone knows of anything, cheers.
Russ

Russ Rallye

ClioSport Club Member
Sorry for the rather short answer Morgan, They're B type calipers and am sure the 'standard' alcon kit from tdf/jet stream use H types which have a pad shape the same as a 206 gti and hence smaller than the standard 172/182. I appreciate pad size/area isn't everything but it makes a difference + I've managed to get them fitted and use a 28mm disc where all the other options I've looked at use 25mm thick discs.

Managed to get the 106 pas pump fitted in the scuttle ala cup racer and plumbed in last night, still needs wired up but it's another job off the list.
Russ

Russ Rallye

ClioSport Club Member
Some new pics, pas pump fitted and piped up.
44415390364813-vi.jpg

New bigger alloy rad fitted with fan and all fixed and piped up.
16415391596312-vi.jpg

36415390356951-vi.jpg

Some housekeeping while it was in the air, tidied up the front bumper brackets that i had to hastily modify at Oulton last year when my wheels were rubbing, cut the rest of the metal back and dressed the inner lip back, primed and painted it up.
52415390372655-vi.jpg

Filled the coolant system and gave it some new oil and a filter too before i started it and ran it up to temp, first time its ran since september and all was well, seems a lot happier with the new rad fitted anyway. Quick vid.
[video=youtube_share;O4yE75CRvTQ]http://youtu.be/O4yE75CRvTQ[/video]

So a few more jobs off the list, hopefully get some wiring done tomorrow as well.
Russ

Mr R.

ClioSport Club Member
  A special one.
Love your brake set up.

How much would something like that cost?

Pm me if you wish matey.

Cup In bits
I didn't take your answer as blunt about the brakes btw Russ.

I think Danny might be hinting towards the routing of the belt needed and the 6 rib would rub on the lower plastic timing cover. The 5-rib fitted to the outmost grooves would not.

Russ Rallye

ClioSport Club Member
I didn't take your answer as blunt about the brakes btw Russ.

I think Danny might be hinting towards the routing of the belt needed and the 6 rib would rub on the lower plastic timing cover. The 5-rib fitted to the outmost grooves would not.

No probs mate, just thought i'd clarify anyway. Will check clearance on the belt again but havent noticed it catching while running it. No big deal if i have to swap it for a 5 rib.
Russ

DON'T SEND ME PM'S!!
Yeah, because the run is different a 6 rib will foul unless you cut away some of the lower cover.

Russ Rallye

ClioSport Club Member
No probs, more than welcome sonny.
Swapped the 6rib for a 5 tonight, the 6 rub was just slightly rubbing the bottom cover so thanks for than Danny/tony/Morgan.
Started on the wiring yesterday too, should get it all done this week hopefully. Gavs the trailer a once over yesterday too as that hadn't moved since September. New hitch and jockey wheel, a good clean + little tidy up jobs.
Russ

Russ Rallye

ClioSport Club Member
Nearly ready to go, got the pas wired up and working as well the new Armtech battery cut off, hopefully it'll be more reliable than the cartec one I had last time.
7u9u7u7e.jpg

Just need to connect 2 wires to the Dash2 to get the fuel level up and running and calibrate it with some fresh fuel.

Removed last years numbers/graphics in preparation for the new Tricolore decals which should be here next week hopefully.
enyteja2.jpg

Needs a good clean and Hoover out then it'll be off to blink on Saturday for a setup and testing at oulton the following Friday.
Russ

182cup & 172 racecar
Thats one I didn't around to, giving it a hoover out, it was down the list, along with cutting the grass. Just didn't happen.

clio cup
Hold your words there Russ, Check my project thread out!, lol,

Your cars looking good mate, whens your test day?

Russ Rallye

ClioSport Club Member
Just seen your updates Dave, great stuff. Got a trackday booked at oulton on Friday 21st march. Still in two minds whether to do the Rockingham test on the Friday before the race, will decide after oulton I think.
Russ

Russ Rallye

ClioSport Club Member
Told you it needed hoovered Tony Hunter, cable, cable tie ends everywhere!
e3aveta8.jpg

Catch tank mounted back up, half the scuttle on and bonnet back on.
asunuhyh.jpg

Still need some of that nimbus heat shielding for down behind the ex manifold too. Might grab some at the weekend from Tweeks. On the lookout for the best deal on a new set of tires ASAP too and I can get them scrubbed in at oulton next week.
Russ

182 track, Mk7 ST
Looks great this, good to see you're making good use of it!

Definitely giving me some ideas for mine :approve:

Russ Rallye

ClioSport Club Member
No problem grant, race car or just trackday car?
Sonny, if I can get a deal on some A048's then they're my first choice otherwise going to try a set of the Dunlop Dz03j's as they're supposed to be good and well priced, currently have a worn set of R888's that weren't new when I got them as my dry set. Have some R1-r's for wet/damp and some uniroyal rainsport 2's if its monsoon weather!
russ

clio cup
Dunlops all the way Russ,
A better all round tyre and keep your R888's for damp weather

Cars looking good mate