ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

My new racecar project (Icemans old shell)

Russ Rallye

ClioSport Club Member
Not really mark, looks like its picked up on the shaft but not sure why, whether its because its sat over the winter not doing anything I don't know, funny how it's been fine for a test day and 2 races then suddenly decides its had enough coming out of winter hibernation.
Russ

Russ Rallye

ClioSport Club Member
A pic from all of the six laps completed yesterday, can't say if it feels any different with the hubs on. Certainly feels nice to drive at 50% anyway! Just about managed to get my brakes bedded in.
Russ
uzageqap.jpg

NorthloopCup

ClioSport Moderator
Not really mark, looks like its picked up on the shaft but not sure why, whether its because its sat over the winter not doing anything I don't know, funny how it's been fine for a test day and 2 races then suddenly decides its had enough coming out of winter hibernation.
Russ

Any metal shards in the oil when you dropped it?

Russ Rallye

ClioSport Club Member
Just posted on tarc forum tony, My car is still in bits, gearbox issue wasn't straight forward. Fingers crossed my 'box will be back tomorrow and I'll work all night building it back up if I have too. Sent Steve an email about a late/provisional entry incase the car doesn't get done etc so hopefully we'll be in a better place tomorrow with any luck. Russ

182cup & 172 racecar
It's running, don't think I'll get to bed tonight though, ( I need as much beauty sleep as poss these days)

Russ Rallye

ClioSport Club Member
Really enjoyable weekend after all the pre-season difficulties, will do a proper report later once both race vids are uploaded. Want to say thanks to Pete @Toastfrenzy for the help in friday testing and nice to meet everyone else i hadnt met before. Hard luck to ian @mitsiman on his issues, heres hoping to more of the same great racing through the season with some more guys on the grid.
Russ

Russ Rallye

ClioSport Club Member
Videos are all uploaded, dont have any pics though, hopefully some will become available from the circuit photographers soon.

Arrived at a grey Rockingham on Friday afternoon for some much needed testing as the car was only put back together on wednesday/thursday and un tested since last year really with a few updates over the winter. Having never been to 'The Rock' before the plan was to just get the basics out of the way, figure out where the circuit goes, make sure the car is ok and had to bed my brakes in a scrub a new set of dunlops in.
Big thanks to Pete for the help as ive said and also dinger and his Mumbray motorsport guys, top blokes and great company, its a pain trying to test on your own! Slow and steady in the 2 sessions got everything done i wanted and a bit of a feel for a car that's now very different to how it was at the last round at Oulton.
My cooling issues are now a thing of the past with the new rad and the new pas system works great too. The biggest problem previously were the brakes but they are now a whole different league, ultimate stopping power and heat management are far better but i've needed to recalibrate my braking style a little to get them working as they should. My lack of practice with them and track knowledge ulimatel;y cost me in both races but i know the pace of the car is good and will be backed up when i get some proper testing at oulton where i'm a lot more comfortable.
So no issues with the car meant it was pretty much ready for Saturdays quali/races. Nice evening with Dave and the Mumbray lads, Sonny and Kev khj100 and a curry was good fun.

Qualifying.
As i hadnt done any fast laps of Rockingham thought it best to get a guided tour at speed from someone who had so got latched onto the back of a certain Mr Hunter for 3 or laps. Dropped back after that to give us both some space before i went for a quick lap, done a couple back to back and the session was done and the car felt pretty good. Back in the paddock i was shocked to see i'd made Pole with a 1:35.245 by less than a 10th of a second from one of the Mitchells in a Pug 205, next car another 205 was 9/10ths back with Simon James in a Saxo VTS behind him with a 1:36.613. Tony was behind him with a 1:36.707.

Race 1
Sat on the front row of the grid is a great feeling, although that soon changes when you get mugged of the line! Too much wheelspin in 1st saw to that. Got passed by the 205 and saxo and had a great battle with them and Tony behind. Managed to get passed the 205 and close in on Simon in the Saxo. I knew i was faster but i just couldnt make it past and we had an awesome battle, i gave him a slight tap at the 2nd corner when he braked alot earlier than i expected and i had nowhere to go, no malice intended and all friends! So thats how it stayed, 1st in class and 2nd overall and i had fastest lap too with Tony far enough behind that i didnt have to keep looking in the mirrors.
Vid
[video=youtube_share;zbw4vduJg6Q]http://youtu.be/zbw4vduJg6Q[/video]

Race 2
So as the grid for the 2nd race is from the results of the 1st race i was 2nd, still on the front row just on the other side this time. Got a better start this time but still couldnt get in front of that Saxo, i knew if i didnt want to watch his rear bumper all race i'd need to get by him asap and try and get away. An ambitious move at the first corner on lap 2 saw me out brake myself and end up on the grass with Tony going by. Had a good battle with tony and another 205 throughout the race. However i had problems with gear selection from lap 2 in and missed 4th on at least 3 occassions, more than once getting second instead which is not good. I dropped back for a lap or so to make sure everything was ok before getting my head down again. Managed to pass the 205 and get upto 3rd, the saxo was too far up the road but i caught Tony quite quickly, catching him is one thing, getting by is a whole different ball game! I'd left it too late, the last lap board came out and i was right behind, i had to do it this lap or not at all. In a near carbon copy of my lap 1 mistake i done it again, far too hot into turn 1 and ended up on the grass! Looking at the vid, when Tony hits the brakes my GPS is showing 123mph and i just had nowhere to go, 205 was back past and that was the final result although there was still action until the last corner! Fastest lap again and my fastest of the weekend while trying to catch Tony and the 205 back up, guess thats called red mist!
Vid
[video=youtube_share;t8f21HX6r08]http://youtu.be/t8f21HX6r08[/video]

So an awesome couple of races and a successful weekend as the car stayed pretty much in one piece, manage to knock the alternator wire off due to my off track excursion but thats my fault not the car! Looking forward to the next one and i hope the vids will make some of you on here want to get involved and get those 'nearly finished' cars out there.
Russ

NorthloopCup

ClioSport Moderator
No 306 mark, whos is that? know a few guys with ex btcc 306's that maybe out this year.
Russ
Ah ok. It's just a lad I know mate. Properly sorted properly fast car he's got tbf. Not sure when he will appear, but you'll know about it when he does! Lol! There's gonna be some f4r's out there needing a few more ponys!
Re your wheelspin, I know james said he always suffered badly off the line. The new box he had sorted that though. It's the trade off between camber and the different fd. Ideally you need a 1st gear that's pulling around 50+, but obviously that means custom gears and input shaft.

Great videos. I like the oversized rear view mirror idea, means you only need 1 camera.

Were the gear selection problems down to the PMS shifter?

182cup & 172 racecar
Good watch Russ, 1st race, there no way I was going to catch you and Simon, so gave up and coasted the last 2 laps. And race 2, I couldn't keep up with Simon, so tried to back the pug back to you, thought this might give him something else to think about other than me.
Then you miss a gear and have to start all over again lol, I was trying to make my Clio as wide as poss, sorry. ;)

Good result for everybody, shame about Ian's car, that would have made it more exciting with him buzzing around, poking his nose in.

I missed him.

Russ Rallye

ClioSport Club Member
Mark, final drive is a 13/59 + the shorter 5th gear too, yeah goes well in a straight line. sonny172cup same to you mate, should be back out at Donningtin all being well. Who was the guy with the RS4 btw, said he might build a car for the series.
Russ

His name is Paul, We do Spa a lot, he had a Mini, that he thought about entering into the TARC German series, but prob will hire the Clio or MR2 from JJ Motorsport, they offered a good package, car, race support, full season entry fee for 5k iirc so that grabbed his attention. His not mechanically minded at all so needs race support and the car garaged etc. At this stage he just wants to get on the grid and the 15 min race format suits him rather than the normal 40/45min TT stints.