ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

My new racecar project (Icemans old shell)

Cup In bits
Well done Russ and good videos. The car is going brilliant, some less aggressive pads and your car will 'one to beat' ;)

Russ Rallye

ClioSport Club Member
Cheers Kenny.
Morgan its probably just me that needs more practice with the brakes and not knowing the circuit didn't really help. Gonna try and get a test in at oulton some time before Donington so will give me a better indication of the car as it stands.
Russ

Russ Rallye

ClioSport Club Member
Some pics from the weekend.
Practice
2014TricoloreRockinghamPractice27_zps931d0731.jpg

2014TricoloreRockinghamPractice58_zps78339ade.jpg

2014TricoloreRockinghamPractice67_zpsdb5a0c20.jpg

Tony, Sonny, Dave and others
2014TricoloreRockinghamPractice120_zpsdb0f65d8.jpg

2014TricoloreRockinghamPractice110_zpsda1d8ef0.jpg

2014TricoloreRockinghamPractice135_zps6490c9b1.jpg

1511377_10152751691839815_910957098_n.jpg

10168024_10152751691924815_1873187103_n.jpg

1375963_10152751691944815_1661221926_n.jpg

1978640_10152751692134815_87682556_n.jpg

10246468_10152751692254815_1851881682_n.jpg

Jamie86

ClioSport Club Member
  RS175,595,205gti,172
Car looks great as ever Russ and great results!

Can't wait to get my ass into gear and get out there with you all!

Does look fantastic!! Love the colour theme.

They all do.

Is that a Pug or a Saxo? I can read the words on the side but looked like a Saxo at first glance. Any more info on it?

In part mate yes, i find it really hard to 'feel' what gear its in, its not the first time ive had complaints with it, nearly every time ive used the car i've missed a gear.
Russ

On the three occasions I looked back at. I notice your hand is in a different position/angle on the stick..

Your palm is facing away from you (thumb down) on the missed changes whereas on other changes it's mainly facing towards you (thumb up). Less so towards the end of the race though.

If that makes sense. Not intending to criticize at all if that's how it sounds.

Could be nothing but I just noticed it and could be enough to put the selection out of line.

Last edited:
Exactly, I was always taught the "claw grip" (palm on top of gear knob) and the thumb grip (palm side of gear knob). Found that the thumb grip is more precise but seems to use more elbow movement, claw grip uses wrist movement. This was more
Advance/evasive driving techniques than racing, but same principles apply.

Russ Rallye

ClioSport Club Member
Both races online from Simon James Saxo if anyone's interested.
Race 1
[video=youtube_share;tVYaLtRvEvM]http://youtu.be/tVYaLtRvEvM[/video]

Race 2
[video=youtube_share;5TqTS7fLicY]http://youtu.be/5TqTS7fLicY[/video]

Russ Rallye

ClioSport Club Member
Its nice there are other cars in the series that provide good competition for the clios.
Adam/Martin, it's not as quick as the red one from oulton last year, just a shame I couldn't get by it as I'm pretty sure I'd have been able to get away, roll on Donington!
russ

182cup & 172 racecar
Looks like it's the old fella's (me & Ian) left to chase him down. Ian's doing some weight saving, having his heart removed.

Russ Rallye

ClioSport Club Member
Nah not going Combe, never a circuit I've particularly wanted to do + more importantly my Mrs is due that weekend so it might be kind of inconsiderate to be away racing!
Ian has a heart? News to me!
russ

Russ Rallye

ClioSport Club Member
Not touched it since Rockingham so fixed the alternator lead today that came off in the last race, the lug had snapped clean off the cable so crimped on a new lug with some heat shrink, cleaned everything up and refitted. Everything is all good.
u6abu9us.jpg

Apart from that I just ran it up to temp and checked all the levels ready for its next outing at Donington on the 8th June.
Russ

Russ Rallye

ClioSport Club Member
Not done a great deal with the car since Rockingham but seen as its only 3 weeks until donington thought if give it a check over. Had to replace the main fuel line as I had a small leak, looks like the pipe is nicked somewhere but can't actually see where, all sorted bow though. Apart from that everything seems fine, been going over it looking for anywhere to save some more weight too.
Russ

Russ Rallye

ClioSport Club Member
Well doesn't look like I'll be racing at donington as the grid is now full for the Nippon/Tricolore race so unless Steve manages to get us a stand alone race I don't be there. Such s Shane as we could have potentially had 20+ cars on the grid due to the amount of entries still to come in.
Russ

That is a real shame mate.

Must have filled up fast, I only spoke to Steve last week and he said there was still plenty of space left.

Glad I got my application in last week now.

Well doesn't look like I'll be racing at donington as the grid is now full for the Nippon/Tricolore race so unless Steve manages to get us a stand alone race I don't be there. Such s Shane as we could have potentially had 20+ cars on the grid due to the amount of entries still to come in.
Russ

Russ Rallye

ClioSport Club Member
Sorry for the delay but I've been away all week since donington and not had a chance to get the report or the videos uploaded. Was a bit of a mixed weekend tbh as I had my laptop, wallet and Oakleys stolen from my car in the paddock on Sunday afternoon, hopefully the culprits will get their cumupence in time.

Anyway, after getting to donington in plenty of time on Saturday afternoon the good people of donington park refused us entry to the circuit until 8pm due to an event taking place, great news so off to the pub!
Finally got unpacked and set up abd had a ride round the circuit with dinger and sonny and the boys, the main point to note was how wet the grass/ground was beyond the track limits, it was agreed between us that nobody fancied leaving the black stuff during the races or quali!

Quali
Hadn't done a great deal of prep on the car since Rockingham as it was all in good order apart from the alternator wire, it looks like the alternator was damaged at Rockingham so as soon as I set off in qual the battery light came on, I knew straight away as the car didn't feel happy at high revs and felt a touch flat and generally unhappy. I knew I needed to get some fast laps in straight away before the car cut out on me. I was behind maybe 10 cars at the start but I sacrificed some tyre warming for track position and managed to get through and into some clear space. Me and Ian mitsiman had a good couple of laps together but the track was really greasy and had a few moments, notably on my first quick lap into turn 1 where it was totally sideways, just wish someone had a pic as it probably looked impressive from the outside! The end result was 3rd out of the Tricolore guys and 6th overall with the Nippon guys, not bad considering but times were somewhere short of the 1.21's I was expecting. The car stopped in the paddock and wouldn't restart!
[video=youtube_share;5_TbdL2V3Ks]http://youtu.be/5_TbdL2V3Ks[/video]

Race 1
Chaos ensued after quali, trying to find someone in the paddock with a cup alternator and drawing a blank, managed in the end to get x2 non cup alternators thanks to mitsiman and MicKPM and a cup one from Fred@BTM that turned out to be a dud, time running out before race 1 we swapped the regulator from Ian's non cup part to my original alternator and we were in business! Massive thanks to all the above especially Fred for getting his hands dirty on his day off, much appreciated. Got to the collection area last I think but ready to race.
Off the line the car felt good and I was in the mix with Simons Saxo and one of the Mitchell 205 you were having a proper battle which I kept out of until I saw a way past the 205 into the final chicane and set off after simon, I managed to sneak down through craners and I was in the lead! It was short lived though as I was more concerned with who was in my mirrors and missed my braking point by miles at the double right hander onto the dunlop straight, some off raiding followed and I was back to 3rd and kicking myself! I regrouped but now had Ian for company and sure enough I did exactly the same thing at the same corner and that was pretty much it and how it stayed to the line, 4th overall and 2nd in class. Another overall fastest lap but it was of little comfort!
[video=youtube_share;WZQ4cNs3ino]http://youtu.be/WZQ4cNs3ino[/video]

Russ Rallye

ClioSport Club Member
Race 2
After the disappointment of race 1 I decided from the off to just keep cool and not do anything silly simon and the 205 got away and I just held station in 3rd until late on in the race when the other 205 snook past while some back markers blocked the track, never mind I thought I'll pass him back before the end, however the race was cut short so that's how we finished, 4th overall again but beat Ian to the class win this time, class fastest lap only this time as Simon and the 205 were faster in the race this time.
[video=youtube_share;Bbg7Np1jkZA]http://youtu.be/Bbg7Np1jkZA[/video]

Car apart from the alternator stayed in one piece so should be fine fit silverstone next as I'm away for the snetterton round, onwards and upwards.
Russ

Few pics from the weekend

ujeta8un.jpg

ytymyqys.jpg

a6uhu3ud.jpg

Good write up and I really enjoyed watching the first race.

Car looks brilliant and it's bloody quick

Good luck at the next round.