ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

My new project :)

My trusty lil 182 :)
Cheers for the comments everyone. Bit of an update on the last couple of weekends. Massive thanks to FunkyMunky on here who has now spent a couple of days helping me out. So last weekend carried on with the strip down.

Started on the roof. Top coat of paint came off with very little effort and revealed some more lovely surprises!

DSC_0956.jpg

DSC_0954.jpg

Both corners shot so something else for the shopping list.

Then whipped out the petrol tank to make sure nothing could go bang when I start cutting and welding. Amazing that my van that has had ‘very little work’ has had the petrol tank out before. Tank straps were cut and the tank held in with silicone sealant! Also worked out why we had a petrol smell when filling up. Breather pipes not connected and tank leaking from the half way seam so need to seal it before putting it back in. Generally though the tank area is in good condition with just one hole in the floor.

DSC_0968.jpg

DSC_0966.jpg

Also removed all the resin from the window frames and all in need of a bit of attention.

Then Sunday cracked on with clearing out the interior, bagging up all the bits and putting them out of the way and finally finishing bare metalling the front panel. Little bit of rust in one of the headlight recesses and down one side but generally not bad.

DSC_1003.jpg

DSC_0008.jpg

DSC_0007.jpg

Also, removed the silicone sealant from under the gutter. Lots of surface rust but most in ok condition I think. Just need to have a quick grind down and treat with some kurust and see what happens.

Then, a four day weekend but away for two of them and wind and rain on another meant I only really got one day on the van.

On the wet day i managed to get a couple of hours in before the tent threatened to blow away completely! Stripped down the drivers side door and removed most of the waxoil from the inside ready to repaint it.

Then next day, started on removing metal at last. Cut off the rear corner, fudged in battery tray, and uncovered all the other rust in the engine bay.

DSC_0021.jpg

DSC_0019.jpg

DSC_0024.jpg

DSC_0023.jpg

Going to need an inner valance, outer valance, left hand battery tray and left hand engine bay repair section. Also have to make a few sections and repair a couple of bits of the chassis. Get the bits on order tomorrow and then try and get some stuff fitted next weekend.

Been ages since I've updated this but work has been coming on at a pace. Realised the more I did that there was no way I was ever going to get the van back together this year! Stumbled across a restorer literally 5 minutes away from me called House of Dub. Got a quote, got the van shot blasted and decided to go for it so Spike has been working on it since.

Frst he cut off both back corners:

photo-back1.jpg

Then welded on new ones having repaired all of the structural box section underneath:

photo-back.jpg

Then set to and cut off the inner, middle and outer sill, front b post, arch, front lower panel, chassis rails, belly pans etc, etc, etc...

IMG_0458.jpg

IMG_0457.jpg

IMG_0456.jpg

IMG_0459.jpg

IMG_0462.jpg

Some of the crap thats ben cut off!

IMG_0465.jpg

Hoping to have a painted shell back before the end of the year ready for the refit :)

Attachments

• photo-back.jpg
    photo-back.jpg
    35.1 KB · Views: 33
  • photo-back1.jpg
    photo-back1.jpg
    51.8 KB · Views: 32
  • IMG_0458.jpg
    IMG_0458.jpg
    56.8 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_0457.jpg
    IMG_0457.jpg
    71.1 KB · Views: 11
Hey gower, long time no see. HoD are up in Stanbridge so very easy for me to drop in and give him a hand (watch and drink tea lol!)

^^ fank you :eek: Its comments like that that keep the motivation up when the light at the end of the tunnel seems a long way off :)

Now 'new' front arch on and staring to look more complete down this side. Arch is actually a cut from a rust free cali van as the arches on my van are one year only and not available as pattern parts:

IMG_0475.jpg

Great project, will be an awesome bus, would love to have the skills to do this.

Had a '77 Westfalia in orange a few years ago, good times.

Last edited:

Craig.M

ClioSport Club Member
  Valver, Octavia vRS
Love this project, i've always loved the old school campers, good see that theres another one being brought back to life as well, well done chap

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
I've never seen this project before, noticed it off the back of the other bus project that's just gone up.

Absolutely love it.

Shame you had to give it over to some one else, you seemed to be doing pretty well yourself, but if you've got the cash ;)

Keep us updated, I'm with Fubar, best project on here.

Rb182cup+s2 rallye
always the way with these the more you strip back the more you find i used to deliver to a guy that restored them everyday hed show me more rust he had found on campers beetles etc you cant go in half harted with these youve got to want to do it from the ground up.

Sorry for the lack of updates. The guy doing it has been moving workshops after falling out with his landlord - roof started seriously leaking and landlord refused to repair it - not great with a workshop full of rusty vdubs!! So been on the bottom of his list of priorities for a while. Now settled into a cracking new workshop so hoping to see some progress again. Want it on the road at some point this summer.

CIW

ClioSport Club Member
  Ph1 Track Car
Just spotted this one, happy memories of childhood holidays in France in our Devon Moonraker. Unfortunately a few too many of those memories are of breaking down or of watching the road pass by through the the rust holes in the floor... ;)