ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

My new GTI-6 P1

Well dip the oil and see where its at :)
If you need a hand with the gearbox Ill gladly help. I'd say ill help with the cambelt but Ive heard too many horror stories to attempt it on someone elses car!

The oil was on the lower marking.. reckon that'd be enough to make it tap like mad? It does go away once it warms up a bit. I'm just fearing the worst i.e bent valves :S

I'll have a check tomorrow. I assume it's just a generic halfords one, or something similar. I'll try and check the cambelt out too - see if everything lines up as it should do. It's really playing on my mind now! Cambelt change is imminent though. 100%.

120d M Sport
This is what pisses me off with old cars. The list of stuff to do just mounts, and it starts to niggle at you!

I do like this though, perservere with it! My GTI used to leak slowly between the bell housing and the engine, I imagine it was crank seal, never enough oil for me to bother getting it sorted.

Did you ever get to the bottom of what was causing your oil loss Rhys?

I was thinking it'd just be a seal... I'll drive it and see how much it loses. Might not be that bad, there wasn't exactly a puddle underneath it, just a few drips. I'm more worried about the tapping tbh. Don't fancy having the head rebuilt TBH!
It's an 800 quid car, if its knackered I'll either find another engine or break it :(
Going to crack on with the Decat today anyway. Might make a start on those aero catches too if I've got time before its dark.

Just been for a quick drive to get some petrol and thankfully the tapping has completely gone! Must just have been because of the low oil level. Massive relief!
Cambelt is getting done in the next couple of weeks, so that should solve the timing issues and then I just need to find and stop the leak!

Waiting for it to cool down, then I'll get on with the decat :cool:
Things are looking up again!

Glad this is moving forward now pal, Glad you've got a job too. Leaving Uni (first time) was the best thing I ever did!

I'll be interested to see what the aero catches look like once on. I've got a spare bonnet for the T and was thinking of getting some :D

Nope. I think it's gaskets tbh. Rocker cover gasket has now been replaced and I think that it's slowed down the oil loss a lot. We shall see though.

I imagine there's quite a lot of old perished rubber on both our cars tbh! So long as your bottom end isn't going to go bang, it shouldn't be too costly - it's just finding it that's a pain!

Glad this is moving forward now pal, Glad you've got a job too. Leaving Uni (first time) was the best thing I ever did!

I'll be interested to see what the aero catches look like once on. I've got a spare bonnet for the T and was thinking of getting some :D

Yeah, it's been the best decision I've ever made! I found my self settling in more in the two days I've been at work than I ever did at uni, so I'm much happier now :)

I'm absolutely terrified of doing the Aero Catches! It's going to take some working out where to drill and cut etc.. Going to have to improvise with tools too, but I'll make a good job of it, even if it takes a couple of days to get right.

PB Clio 172
Just been for a quick drive to get some petrol and thankfully the tapping has completely gone! Must just have been because of the low oil level. Massive relief!
Cambelt is getting done in the next couple of weeks, so that should solve the timing issues and then I just need to find and stop the leak!

Waiting for it to cool down, then I'll get on with the decat :cool:
Things are looking up again!

come on lad topping up the oil is one thing you should always keep on 'top' of !

It had been stood and oil has leaked out - Topping up the oil was obviously the first thing I did! But yesterday it was tapping even after putting oil in, so I was worried the belt had slipped or something. I'm no n00b, promise ;) (oh and I couldn't check the oil before I started it up as I couldn't get round the front of the car in my parents garage, before you ask :rasp:)

I imagine there's quite a lot of old perished rubber on both our cars tbh! So long as your bottom end isn't going to go bang, it shouldn't be too costly - it's just finding it that's a pain!

Yeah, it's been the best decision I've ever made! I found my self settling in more in the two days I've been at work than I ever did at uni, so I'm much happier now :)

I'm absolutely terrified of doing the Aero Catches! It's going to take some working out where to drill and cut etc.. Going to have to improvise with tools too, but I'll make a good job of it, even if it takes a couple of days to get right.

Are you still living in Salford then, or have you moved back home now?

Are you still living in Salford then, or have you moved back home now?

I moved to Salford Quays in March, and I'm going to be here for at least a year now. Probably longer though, I like Manchester! Having been in my home town for two days, there's no way I'd move back now... it's too quiet!

Let me know how you get on with the aero Catches as I fancy some on my mx5, you using a dremel?

AeroCatches are.. Time consuming! I'm using f**king grinding stones on the end of an 80's drill as I've got nothing else! lol. Should be a piece of piss with a dremel tbh!
I've more or less finished one side now, just got to bolt it all up and adjust it... the problem I'm having is that I've chosen to put them right where the bonnet skin is - so I'm having to cut through two sheets of metal instead of one. With blunt tools. FFS!

BlackGold 182
Hmmm doesn't Sound fun mate! I don't have a dremel either so I was thinking marking it up, drilling out holes and then angle grinding the main part out and then smooth it off with the grinding stones on a drill lol

An angle grinder would be a massive help!
I've gone through 3 grinding stones on one side ffs! If you've got the right tools and some patience, its easy! Lining everything up can be a ballache, but its not really difficult as such.
Well worth doing though! They're awesome.

Change the timing belt yourself its not that hard. Mark up the bottom end and lock the cams. Glad hear its not fucked! Its the only P1 Ive seen that I like.

Cookson

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk1 Audi TT 3.2 V6
If you want an angle grinder, i dont mind lending you mine. can drop it round anytime you like with a fresh disc

It'll look even better when I get some MO5/SL434's bought ;)

I'm very tempted to do it myself, I've just got a massive lack of any decent tools and a space to do anything - got to travel 2 hours across the country for an uneven driveway ffs!

If you want an angle grinder, i dont mind lending you mine. can drop it round anytime you like with a fresh disc

Oops, didn't see this!
Don't fancy dropping it off in East Yorkshire, do you? ;)
haha. Only reason I'm doing all the work at my parents is because all the tools are here, and it won't matter if I make a mess all over the driveway - it's a pain in the arse, but what can I do!
Cheers though, much appreciated! :)

Here's some pictures of todays progress:

6942862388_815bf8e846.png

DSC_1278 by j0eyD, on Flickr

6942864072_ef39f7fa8e.png

DSC_1280 by j0eyD, on Flickr

6942865824_1db7a15a77.png

DSC_1283 by j0eyD, on Flickr

Not quite the angle I'd have liked, but I'm just f**king happy it's done and I didn't f**k the bonnet up! Need to work out how to attach the nuts from underneath the bonnet... the skin is going to be in the way!

Tomorrow, I'll get another set of grinding stones and do the same. Hopefully have time to fit the decat too (I decided not to do it today for some reason), otherwise it'll eat into my detailing/seat fitting time on Thursday...

Still not sure on the Yellow full beam... I think it's because the car's filthy and in a bad state - I maybe just don't think anything looks good on it? :S

Last edited:
Managed to get everything finished off eventually!
I'm beginning to hate the 205 wheels now though... lol.

Just gave it a quick wash and a coat of Collinite 476, as I'm not sure when I'll be able to clean it again!
Kind of coming round to the yellow full beams too... I think.
Couple of photo's:

7093385995_dd74d82c45_z.jpg

DSC_1287 by j0eyD, on Flickr

7093387543_759b4efd56_z.jpg

DSC_1303 by j0eyD, on Flickr

Seat subframe & sidemount didn't show up, so I'll do that in a couple of weeks I guess...
Also, desperately want a silver Peugeot Lion for the front! The black one is doing my head in. lol

Daz.

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 200 RS EDC
I don't want to sound harsh but everything you've done to the car has made it worse! :eek:

Page 1 = mint!

GiT

ClioSport Club Member
  Shit little Yaris...
It is screaming D-Turbo to me. Looked ace a few pages back. Needs Cyclones.

gtidt2010b.jpg

Danith

ClioSport Club Member
  MX5 ND2/220 Trophy
No no no!! Not Cyclones! Get the 205 wheels highly polished. Or some Ronals.

GiT

ClioSport Club Member
  Shit little Yaris...
The 205 Speedlines should only be found, on 205 1.9 GTI's. They are a great wheel but just drag back the GTI-6s look. Meh - i'm old and stuck in my ways lmao

Yes yes yes yes, 205 wheels are wrong etc. I know!
If you'd read a few pages back you could see that I got them with brand new tyres for less than a set of 4 brand new tyres. So they were essentially free.
After I've sorted the cambelt and possibly sorted the leak (depending on how bad it is) I'll find a good set of MO5's or SL434's, as was my original plan. I don't think it looks horrendous on 205 Speedlines, and I personally prefer them to the standard Cyclones, but they won't be staying for much longer anyway.