ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

my mk1 cup racer blog (updates page 29)

Some of a Clio 1.8 16v
Re: My mk1 track car blog

Brilliant to see you still getting on with it I was starting to worry you and matteh had lost the battle as things have been so quiet.

Loving the oil cooler and those mirrors look super trick!!!

F4R'd ITB'd '92 cup racer

cheers mate

last weekend i had a break from working on it, needed it too, although im not very motivated about it at the moment, having a bit of a bad week already and its only monday :(

williamsclio.co.uk/forum

coming on well buddy....will be nice and solid once u get the rust removed!

Djw John

Scotland - South
ClioSport Area Rep

I know its tough atm bud but you've still done a few other wee things and 1 day solid at it i bet you have it running and you'll be excited again!

this arrived for me yesterday, another ebay bargain :D

DSC00593.jpg

DSC00594.jpg

DSC00595.jpg

if i buy a brand new ITG filter from merlin motorsport it means ive got a maxogen for under £200 :D :clap: cant grumble at that

Mk1 RT + F7p + 172 Brakes

keep up the good work

the wireing problem might be just a simple thing that youve not checked yet, might be something right under your nose as daft as it sounds, anyway good luck sorting that issue

wingmirrors look cool as, and out of interest how much was the oil cooler?

right small update, on my week off work i got it running again, appears to be a dodgy ign live connection at the fuse, but whilst double checking to see if this was definately the problem my starter motor solenoid decided to pack up :rolleyes: ordered another from cit-ren today

also cut out a section of the o/s sill, but going to cut pretty much the lot of it out. then do the same with the n/s. next door neighbour is having a day on the welder on sat, so he says he will weld my repair sections for me :approve:

also trying to get hold of my sparky mate for him to finish wiring up interior loom etc

so with FCS getting ever closer i really need to get my head down if its going to be ready, list of things still do do:

fit new sill sections, fill where necessary, prime, paint and then treat anything and everything with waxoyl
buy tyres
get willy wheels powdercoated white
fit tyres
sort out all the wiring so that everything needed for an mot is working
finish induction kit
buy and fit heat shielding to starter motor and bulkhead
secure front brake pipes
clay the car to get rid of any old wax
apply decals
bed in the brakes (although my 2 mates last year did that whilst on the way to FCS lmao!)
replace anti-freeze with renault type D stuff
get cambelt done
get a recovery truck to take it for MOT
hopefully pass mot :rolleyes:
tax and insure it

i reckon i'm going to leave the oil cooler for now, just running out of time to get it fitted :(

what you think, will it be ready in time? bearing in mind i go on holiday next tues for a week lol, and i only really get weekends to work on it :eek:

'92 172, Lotus Elise

sorry to bug you mate... but do you have a couple of those steering rack green pipes still? :eek:

Djw John

Scotland - South
ClioSport Area Rep

No need mate, you just need to prebook it and not take the piss with the distance with how far it is and then you can drive it

sorry to bug you mate... but do you have a couple of those steering rack green pipes still? :eek:

yeh im sure i have mate, will dig them out for you

No need mate, you just need to prebook it and not take the piss with the distance with how far it is and then you can drive it

thats the problem, the mot station is about 40 miles away, unless i can find another tester as friendly ;)

Some of a Clio 1.8 16v

As far as i can remember it's perfectly legal to drive a car without mot to the test as long as you have an apointment at the MOT centre.

Don't know if that helps?

ValverInBits

christ, is that a 16 row oil cooler???

That is some oil chilling potential there. 16 rows are really for turbo engines?
Noticed you got the thermostatic plate though, essential :)

christ, is that a 16 row oil cooler???

That is some oil chilling potential there. 16 rows are really for turbo engines?
Noticed you got the thermostatic plate though, essential :)

yep 16 row cooler, and yep thermostatic plate

not sure where you heard 16 row is only for turbo engines? its more a case of what bhp, conditions and driving style. and if overcooling is occuring there is a very simple but effective way round it ;) :approve:

oh and as i write this im in tenerife, thats why i havent updated much, i will get an update sorted when i get home, but its really a case of 5 steps forward ten steps back. to give you a hint, i actually drove the car before coming away on holiday :D round to the next door neighbours house for the sills welding. however whilst round there we found a whole lot more rust on the passenger side :dead: :dapprove:

as soon as i get back off my hols i'm right on it though! :evil: watch this space.....

E92 M3 Monte Carlo

hi mate have you fitted that towing eye yet?just wondered what you've fixed it too

Fiesta ST2

just read this thread from start to finish. Hopefully you get it working mate, looks the dogs! the elec stuff must be a pain in the arse! good luck!

right not a great deal has been happening recently on the clio, due to various reasons, first being a trip to my boss's villa in tenerife for a week, for a much needed break and some decent weather

as per usual the cat tried its best to stow away in our luggage lmao
DSC00623.jpg

DSC00624.jpg

so i get on with a few jobs when i got back, fit my fuel rail guard
DSC00604.jpg

and then for the very first time i drove the car, was very nervous to see if everything would work (clutch, gearbox etc) as this was the first time i'd moved it under its own power. thankfully everything seems to working spot on, the car sounds like a real racer as its loud as f**k and has a real lumpy idle :evil: (lambda's arent plugged in so fuelling is all over the shop) and here it is parked round at next doors house
DSC00611.jpg

DSC00612.jpg

the only thing that had me worried was the whenever pressing the brakes there would be a loud knock and then the wheels would lock up if doing any sort of speed :S ........quite shamefully though it turned out i hadn't put the 2 lower caliper bolts on either side and under braking it was dragging into the disc and causing the wheels to lock up! :eek: again thankfully no damage caused and a quick easy fix, major schoolboy error there! also whilt doing the caliper bolts i also got the angle grinder on the old brake line brackers and then secured the brake pipes using rubber lines p clips for the mot.

then we got on with repairing the o/s sill, this was the better of the 2 and we got away with just replacing a small piece of the inner sill and the rearward section of the outer, the smaller piece was all we needed to replace in this pic
DSC00613.jpg

will gety some more pics of the work in progress when i get round to the filling/spraying process

however the major downer of the day came when we started to cut out the n/s sill, basically we decided to cut out the full section of the outer sill due to its rotten condition, this was no major surprise as i knew this is what they suffer from, what was a surprise was the poor condition of the inner sill :dapprove:
DSC00626.jpg

DSC00625.jpg

DSC00627.jpg

DSC00628.jpg

as you can see the rust has got quite high up the inner sill to where you can see inside the car! its also where the passenger seat rail mounts to :S so the plan is to take the seat out, then cut a section out and replace it with some thicker steel and weld the seat rail to that, it will look a dog from the inside, but at least its in keeping with the appearance of the rest of the car lmao

even though theres not really alot left to do on the car it is only 5 weeks til fcs and this has put me back a long way, but i'm going to call in a few favours and spend all my hard earned on it getting it there :approve:

haha yeh i havent got a filter for the itg airbox yet so used that one, like a snorkel

Great feeling when it moves for the first time eh?!

Good work mate, really like it

too true mate, such a great feeling when it moved and didnt crunch, crack, groan or collapse lmao........there's still time for all that on track though :evil:

'92 172, Lotus Elise

get the brakes sorted and tell me if its fast or not! :dapprove:

brakes are all sorted :D super sharp aswell! caught me out the first time i touched the pedal :eek:

my sparky is round 2moro night and when we've sorted some things out i might take it for a spin on some private land :cool:

oh and another thing, im wanting to replace my throttle cable as mine sticks a bit (not sure if its the cable as it looks frayed towards the throttle butterfly end) but i cant find one anywhere (havent tried renault yet tho) anyone know where i can get one?

'92 172, Lotus Elise

ask on c16v - couple lads breaking valvers over there

what's the rundown on your electrics in the end? what gauges have you gotten working? ecu fine? (number?)

gauges and stuff is 2moro nights job hopefully, also want to rig the fan up to my temp controller and see if it works, and also everything needed for an mot :rolleyes:

as far as i know the non start problem was down to a bad ign live connection on the relay, fingers crossed it doesnt come back! and i've forgotten the ecu number :eek:

oh i cant seem to find the pas pipes for those connections you wanted either :( will keep looking

'92 172, Lotus Elise

how are you planning to rig up the rev counter and coolant gauge?

i've got no idea on the rev counter :S might end up putting an aftermarket one in, and if i cant get the standard coolant gauge working i've always got my little box of tricks that controls the fan, it also displays oil and water temp, just need a sender and a joint but i cant find out what diameter the top rad hose is

does your coolant temp gauge work ok now? any tips on wiring it in?

so got a bit more done this weekend, sun was shining but it was blowing a gale which made spraying interesting! :rolleyes:
first was to fill the joins on the sill section we had welded into place
DSC00635.jpg

DSC00636.jpg

then rubbed it all down and gave it a coat of primer
DSC00637.jpg

rubbed it back again and gave it another layer of filler, rubbed that and another coat of primer, then a few of coats of colour
DSC00649.jpg

DSC00647.jpg

once that was done and whilst waiting for the lacquer to harden i started making the first cut on the passenger sill ready for it to come out, however i soon realised the dangers of using an angle grinder with no protection plate and no gloves on :rolleyes:
a piece of the disc shattered and proceeded to enter my hand
DSC00642.jpg

DSC00641.jpg

i thought i had pushed my luck enough for one day so decided that the old girl deserved a clean for all she has been through, also clayed the car to get rid of any polish/wax ready for when the decals are applied, don't think it looks too bad from a distance....
DSC00653.jpg

DSC00652.jpg

DSC00651.jpg

no sadly not :( i've admitted defeat there

the annoying thing is i will be able to have it ready a couple of weeks after fcs, but with the extra rust on the n/s its just set me back in both time and money

plus it would only be going to fcs as a display car (no way would/could i take it on track for its first outing lol) and its really not much to look at!!!

so i will be taking a little bit longer and getting everything sorted for the summer (if it ever arrives) trackdays