ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

my mk1 cup racer blog (updates page 29)

Some of a Clio 1.8 16v
Re: My mk1 track car blog

Brilliant progress fella great to see you've not taken too much of a knock from the tinworm discovery! The car looks really good in the pics can't be as bigger shed as you keep saying!!

F4R'd ITB'd '92 cup racer

cheers beanie :D you're encouragement has been a massive help throughout this build :approve:

i was a bit knocked back by the rust at first, but then realised that whatever project car i get its going to be a recurring theme, so no time like the present to learn how to fix it

plus i've come so far with it now it would be a real waste of all the work i've put in to scrap the shell and start again, at least this way i get to slam it into a tyre wall and write it off rather than let the rust win :evil:

i'm looking forward to the footage from her first race...

est 0-60? I recon with the right tyres your looking at around 5 secs...

wouldn't really know what 0-60 will be, and i'm not really interested to be brutally honest:eek:

how a car performs overall is much more important in my eyes :)

right peeps, only got sunday to mess with the car this weekend, and it was soo damn hot in the car i could only manage half hour stints before having to take a break and cool down.

but i got my 172 accelerator cable fitted, was using the valver cable but it had frayed and didnt move smoothly, causing the pedal to stick every now and again.

took the valver one off and capmpared to the 172 cable
DSC00654.jpg

DSC00657.jpg

DSC00656.jpg

DSC00655.jpg

as you can see they are identical, and is is normally the case removing the old cable was considerably easier than fitting the new one! but alot of swearing seemed to help :approve:

i then started removing all the clips around the car that hold the interior trims in place, boring task but needed to be done. and then took some measurements for more purchases :evil: :rolleyes:

also looking at the engine bay i dont think i am going to be able to squeeze my maxogen in there AND close the bonnet, so battery may have to be relocated, another job to add to the list!

right got a bit more done yesterday, sparky came round and sorted the rear lights, all fused neatly on the drivers side

DSC00671.jpg

then another fuse holder on the passenger side along with a relay holder

DSC00669.jpg

and whilst he was sorting wires out i decided to tidy up the engine bay a bit, although it's a track toy i cant help but tart it up a bit :eek:

bought a proper bung (instead of a bolt) for the pipe that would normally connect to the carbon cannister

DSC00658.jpg

then fit my sytec fuel regulator bracket

DSC00660.jpg

and then mounted my pressure regulator and fit my braided fuel hoses and finishers

DSC00665.jpg

DSC00668.jpg

DSC00673.jpg

and after that i got on with wiring in my fan temp controller, very impressed with it and its ease of installation

DSC00674.jpg

haven't connected my water temp sender or oil sender (need to fit oil cooler and sandwich plate for that) so i just put the sender in a cup of boiling water to check it works.......you can hear the fan kick in at 71 deg and then cut out at 65. it can be adjusted to cut in at anything from 70 to 100 deg in 2 degree increments :cool:

th_MOV00004.jpg

so with a bit more work i will have all electrics working and the fan cutting in when it should :D

Exige S1 + Honda S1

how are you getting along now?

any full pictures of interior/exterior?

progress came to a halt because of FCS this weekend, but hopefully this saturday the n/s sill will be getting the chop, so will get some overall pics, not alot more to show in the interior, had to take passenger seat and harness out for the welding that needs doing.

i picked up my carbon fibre spoiler from streamline carbon at the show on sunday, i knew it would look good, and by god it does!!

also picked up my manual sunroof and a few other bits from budji on wc (cheers mate, good to meet you :D)

just want to say a massive massive thank you to Rob at DJW Signs, upon recommendation from someone on here (sorry cant remember who :eek: ) i had him make up some decals for the clio, and i am very impressed with the finished products, will definately be using him again in the future :approve:

http://www.djwsigns.co.uk/index.html

right got a bit more done on saturday, took the car next door for some more welding

DSC_0034.jpg

we managed to get the inner part and the middle part of the sill done, riveted and welded the inner part, and then welded the middle part, stood on the floor and jumped up and down to test it, solid as a rock.

DSC_0038.jpg

DSC_0037.jpg

not the prettiest work lmao but its functional

then i set about taking the old leaky sunroof out, and replacing it with a manual one i picked up at FCS, i spent ages getting the old one out, and was so annoyed with it afterwards that i decided to do away with a sunroof all together :mad:

half hour later......

DSC_0035.jpg

DSC_0039.jpg

DSC_0040.jpg

DSC_0042.jpg

DSC_0044.jpg

will seal and paint it when i get chance

going to order my tyres today, and then i can sort out getting the wheels sprayed/powdercoated

tyres arrived this morning, thats what you call good service!

DSC00681.jpg

DSC00682.jpg

and another box of goodies arrived from merlin motorsport yesterday, can make some progress now i have some parts, just waiting on my GRP battery box

Exige S1 + Honda S1

shaping up, im on the lookout for another mk1 to track now. I blame you lol

Exige S1 + Honda S1

The choice out there isnt great so will take either.
Ready prepped is cheaper, but no fun.

Sunflower & Golf Mk6 BMT

Would it not have been easier to paint the sheet metal before you riveted it? It going to be a pain to paint now surely?
By putting the metal sheet there have you achieved much weight reduction? Do you think you could have got away with a piece of thick Perspex plastic?

The choice out there isnt great so will take either.
Ready prepped is cheaper, but no fun.

true, evouk is selling his ex clio cup racer for 6k, get alot of car for the money! but as you say, part of the fun is to build it yourself.

Would it not have been easier to paint the sheet metal before you riveted it? It going to be a pain to paint now surely?
By putting the metal sheet there have you achieved much weight reduction? Do you think you could have got away with a piece of thick Perspex plastic?

prob would have been easier to paint it first, but time was not on my side, just going to mask it off, prime and spray it in situe, simple enough job. plus ive got to seal it before painting.

Exige S1 + Honda S1

I saw that, it would need it to be road legal, cant tow a trailer with an exige lol

Some of a Clio 1.8 16v

I want some progress and pictures from you this weekend or I won't be happy! :evil:

I want some progress and pictures from you this weekend or I won't be happy! :evil:

oh dear you're not going to be happy then! :eek:

this pretty much sums up all i got done this weekend lmfao

DSC00693.jpg

i had to work sat morning, then go to a family friend's b'day do sat night, then sunday went to watch my dad drive a ferrari for his b'day present. also paid for my gf to have a passenger ride in a lamborghini spider for her b'day present. so after that all i had time to do was work out that the sunroof panel needs to come back out and be mounted on top of the roof skin rather than underneath :rolleyes: and took the alloys off.

dropped the alloys off this morning to have old tyres removed and disposed of (even though 2 are new! lmao) and then will be taking them to be sandblasted at dinner. then pick them up from there then take them to be powdercoated.

hopefully this weekend will be free and i can spend sat and sunday on it :approve:

right bit more of an update from this weekends work, this weeks been a busy one, started by taking my speedlines off the car on sunday, getting tyres removed on monday, then taking the alloys for sandblasting on tuesday.
got sandblasted wheels back on thursday dinner hour and took them straight to the powdercoater. i wanted to get the wheels back on the car at the weekend but didnt think i stood a chance taking the wheels so late in the week. happily however the powdercoater was a gem of a guy, by far one of the nicest guys i have ever met. he asked when i wanted them done by (bear in mind it was 1pm thursday) i said as soon as possible please, to which he replied saying he could have them done by the same time friday!! :D
i went to pick them up on friday, to which the guy said he did them that day when i left and they were actually ready at 9am friday! now thats some good going considering he had about 20 oher sets of alloys to do! the other surprise was the price, i couldnt thank the guy enough, and he said i was welcome back anytime :D
the finished article with the new pe2's fitted and balanced 8)
DSC00694.jpg

DSC00698.jpg

DSC00699.jpg

i put them on the car and then moved it onto the drive for some piccies and for some serious work to start
DSC00700.jpg

DSC00701.jpg

DSC00703.jpg

then i got to work on the sunroof, drilled out the previous rivets, cut the metal to shape then refit it and re-riveted it, then applied primer, which is all i could to as it then started to rain on and off for the next 3 hours :roll:
DSC00704.jpg

DSC00705.jpg

DSC00706.jpg

whilst i was doing this my gf got to work spraying the willy centre caps gloss black (was going to do them pink but i decided black was better to contrast the white)
DSC00708.jpg

DSC00709.jpg

also sprayed the standard tow hook pink (looks red in the pic!)
DSC00710.jpg

DSC00711.jpg

DSC00715.jpg

next job was to relocate the battery in the boot, i have spent about 2 weeks buying all the parts and planning what i needed to do it without any
problems. the planning paid off, sadly i didnt take any pics of the battery box in the boot as we removed it pretty much straight away to do some painting.
junction box in the bay
DSC00707.jpg

and a nice big space for my induction kit 8)
DSC00712.jpg

so with the battery out of the way i set about fitting my ITG kit
DSC00713.jpg

DSC00714.jpg

took a fair bit of fettling to get it into that position, and even then there isn't alot of room for the cold air feed, but i'll tackle that when i get to it

while i was sorting this out the gf was again busy using the heat gun to remove the tar on the boot floor, then removing the rest with thinners, then masking out the rear windows etc, then applying primer and basecoat :)
it was pretty dark by this time but i tried to get some pics, needs another coat to finish it, which we will be doing tonight as we are back on a mission to get it ready for trax.
DSC00716.jpg

DSC00717.jpg

DSC00718.jpg

another one of my gf's projects was using a tyre-art pen on the michelin sidewalls, again i think this sets off the white wheels a treat, plus then with the black centre caps and black speedline decals to go on it will look spot on.
you can just make it out here, will take some better pics tonight.
DSC00719.jpg

e92 + E46 M3 + Cup

Just read the whole thread, nice work mate :cool: , That rust would put me right off, good job sorting it ;) , love the white wheels against your white engine bits :cool:

Got any links for the batterey junction box? need to get my self one for the batterey to boot conversion

Just read the whole thread, nice work mate :cool: , That rust would put me right off, good job sorting it ;) , love the white wheels against your white engine bits :cool:

Got any links for the batterey junction box? need to get my self one for the batterey to boot conversion

here you go bud

http://www.demon-tweeks.co.uk/products/ProductDetail.asp?cls=MSPORT&pcode=A/EPJ1

the rust was a downer when i saw it, and the fix we have done isnt the prettiest lmao, but as long as its functional

last nights task was to weld the outer sill into place, ready for me to finish off, however not all went to plan, i connected the battery and turned the key to drive it round......nothing

after a few checks with the multimeter the fuel pump wasnt priming or working under cranking, but i had voltage there on both

my diagnosis is that this little beauty decided it didn't want to be part of the team anymore :x

DSC00724.jpg

so after that we pushed the clio round next door, and started welding.
DSC00721.jpg

DSC00723.jpg

DSC00722.jpg

however not all went to plan either, we couldn't get a good weld between the 2 panels, so we decided to call it a night and try again another day.

i also tried to get a few more pics, but it was dark by this time so they didnt come out too good :oops:

battery box in boot, just needs securing to the floor
DSC00728.jpg

and an overall pic of the car
DSC00729.jpg

len_beach

ClioSport Club Member
  E92 M3,172 track car

Not long to go now.

Who did the wheels & how much if you don't mind me asking?

Awesome fella. Really does look good!!

Wheels and interior look ace!

cheers guys, makes all the work a bit more worthwhile to get some good comments :D

Not long to go now.

Who did the wheels & how much if you don't mind me asking?

company near wetherby powdercated them, another guy near my work sandblasted them

if you want some doing send me a pm as the guy said he would do me a good price each time i go back :approve:

had an eagerly awaited delivery today
icon_cool.gif

basically i was looking at rigging up a datatool rev light as some have done on here, however when i looked into setting it up it meant holding the car at certain revs so the led's can 'learn' when to come on.

this was a problem as i dont have a working tacho (known problem with the 17poo conversion) so it would mean buying an aftermarket tacho, setting up the rev light, then selling the tacho, too much hassle for my liking!!

so instead i did a bit of research and after about 2 days searching on the web for what i needed, i found this

DSC00732.jpg

DSC00733.jpg

it is a digital tacho and has 8 led's that can be setup anywhere in the rev range, this way i can set it up just right using the digital readout, and can monitor engine speed more accurately
icon_biggrin.gif
icon_biggrin.gif

£69 :D :approve:

hows your racer coming along lee? if you want to get me on msn or something i have found various tacho setups that you might be interested in :D

Disco 3 &4 1993 mini

the car is going very slow at the moment waiting for parts from france, its anying because ive got basically everything i need but its silly little lthings like circlips and funny sized bolts thats stopping play, ive got the normal cupracer dash but doesnt give a very comprehensive tacho readout and i don't have the datalogger which also had shift lights, so i really just need a series of leds that will blind when gear change is iminant.

the other available are the omex units

http://www.omextechnology.co.uk/Revlimiters/revlimiters.htm

or the datatool system as i mentioned

http://www.datatool.co.uk/consumer/products/products/index.php?product=revlight

datatool also do a gear indicator which could come in handy for you when using sequential box

http://www.datatool.co.uk/consumer/products/products/index.php?product=digi

there are a few others aswell which i have found, primarily made for bikes, but must be usable on a car:

http://biketronix.co.uk/

have a look at the torque indicator and gear indicator on there, very trick pieces of kit!