ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

My immaculate Ph1 172

Megane R26
A week last Thursday I bought this Ph1 172 that Russ Rallye was selling on here:

14404590574118-vi.jpg

Ad here: linky

It is my second Renaultsport. I had a DB 197 F1 about two years ago which I sold to help fund a house deposit. I loved that car. Mostly standard apart from a decat Mongoose exhaust with no centre silencer and a remap. Sounded like this. Looked like this:

clioadvertpic5.jpg

I bought a Panda 100hp as a cheap to run stop gap (don't laugh). It was quite good fun but once the novelty wore off it was quite boring. Seen here on track at Curborough:

zwvj.jpg

In regards to the Ph1, my heart says modify but head says keep it standard. There can't be many left in that condition with that amount of history and mileage.

Coops Mk1

ClioSport Club Member
  Lots of Scrap...
bolt on mods are fine, so long as it can be easily put back to standard it wont be devalued by them, so crack on imo

I have an itch to scratch with those panda's, no idea why but I really want one,lol!:eek:

Coops Mk1

ClioSport Club Member
  Lots of Scrap...
Mine is for sale! Linky

I think at some point I'm going to have to get a supersport stealth. I miss the pops and bangs.

I heard it'd been tracked though ;) rofl! not in a position to buy currently chap as the 182 needs work to sell and tbh still enjoying it, but cheers ;)

Jekyll

ClioSport Club Member
I see the advert when it was originally posted and it looked like a fantastic buy!

More pics are needed ;) If you do mod it, what mods are you thinking of doing?

Megane R26
Update
Ever since I had the car I always thought the handling was good but not amazing. I had a look through the extensive history file and saw that in the past is had had a replacement rear shock and a replacement front spring. I decided on new ph1 shocks all round and some Cooksport springs. I fitted them a few weeks back and they have transformed the car! People say they don't affect the ride quality but they definitely do, however the difference in handling is massive. So so so much better. The ride height is now at the level it should have been when it left the factory.

There was a bang when I did a fast gear change and also the gear change didn't feel great so I bought a Powerflex gearbox mount. Again, massive difference. The box feels so much tighter and there is no banging. Not bad for £45. Very easy to fit as well.

I've seen a few 1*2s with the Fabia splitter and I really like them. They're only £16 delivered and pretty easy to fit.

Costs/repairs
New Bosch battery £50
New aux belt tensioner pulley £149 fitted
Tax £275ish

Future
The exhaust/induction setup is nigh on silent. I will address this at some point, partly because I want to but also I sometimes find myself going into a corner at 80mph but it only feels like 50mph. I have to think of my safety ;)

I have some newish 172 cup wishbones to fit. These mount the ball joints closer to the front of the car giving a better/higher castor angle. Not bad for £30!

New tyres will be needed soon. I'll get either Michelin PS3s (£56 each) or AD08Rs (£68 each), best get saving... ;)

Inferno 225 cup
Cup shocks/ cooksports & cup wishbones is a really good setup IMO, I added a gripper diff to mine and that transformed the car completely.