ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

My 1.2 isn't as slow as i thought.

Status
Not open for further replies.
  BMW M4; S1000 RR
I have never come up against a diesel which has beaten me - raced A3s, Golfs, 1 and 3 Series (4 cylinders)

Obviously depends which one you find!

Most people that buy 3L diesel saloons aren't into racing, but you'll find the odd one that recognises that the top spec diesel 3 series is faster than the petrol equivalent and doesn't mind showing people up.

I think you'd have to be against a 3L diesel to get beaten badly anyway, -Leigh- said most diesels can keep up with a 172, and I imagine that's where most 4 cylinder diesels fit in. Apart from that BMW twin turbo 4 cylinder, that's pretty quick!

53 Clio's & counting
My 10p's worth is you cant quote any time at all when timing with anything like a stopwatch.

there is far too many variables in it, ie speedo error, and the fact by the time you have looked at your speedo, then thought 'here is 60 (which due to speedo error it wont be 60 more like 56) then thought about hitting the stop on the stopwatch you wou lhave added a second onto it anyway.

Bottom line is it might have well been 10.9 secs to 60, but saying i did it with a dash top stopwatch proves nowt.

But as a bit of fun fair play.

Italian 3.2 V6
i got 7.278 sec in my 1.4 16v.. aaaiiii f**kin weapon it was!

lol at this thread.

1992 Mini City
The only reason i have ever raced my little 1.2, is when an idiot in a bigger engined car (within reason) comes up next to me, looks at me like he's gods cousin, then he gets shown up, by a measly 1.2, it's even more fun if he's in an Audi, (sounds unlikely, but it has happened a few times, people do not know how to drive their cars).

I beat a mates Fiesta ST the other day, guy can't drive to save his life, not that he would ever have to.

However, pulled up next to a guy in a 182 a few nights ago, i might as well have been walking, wasn't exactly unexpected.

Clio 1.2
thing is we all got to start with something

rarther have a 1.2 clio than for example a 1.0 micra anyway got the bike for speed thrills

1.2 is good car and aint slow compared to others in class only is when you tryed larger cars

1992 Mini City
thing is we all got to start with something

rarther have a 1.2 clio than for example a 1.0 micra anyway got the bike for speed thrills

1.2 is good car and aint slow compared to others in class only is when you tryed larger cars

Exactly.

Although, feels faster than my dads 3.0 V6 Ford Falcon out in Oz, but that thing is a dog, and not like a greyhound, an old, fat, slow dog.

Ben182

ClioSport Club Member
  X3
aren't official 0-62s done with 2 up and half a tank of fuel? Also 60 on your speedo won't be 60, more like 55.

I had a 1.4 75bhp 206 before my 182. Used to really enjoy it, was nippy enough, and at least you could drive it at its limit without getting banned lol. (although I did manage to get banned in it, major fail tbh)

1.5 Clio Dynamique
a fully serviced 1.2 8v is pretty quick for what it is though

yes there isnt a hope in hell it will beat a sport but when it comes to overtaking / pulling away its got all the power thats needed imo

graph.gif

tbh

Yeah it was. Don't be a knob. Nippy does not mean it goes 400mph. Have some respect.

adjective, -pi⋅er, -pi⋅est.

1.chilly or cold: morning air that feels a bit nippy.
2.sharp or biting; tangy: nippy cheese.
3.Chiefly British Informal. nimble; agile.

do please elaborate on what you mean by nippy..? are ALL cars nippy?

nippy cheese tbh

Renaultsport 200
adjective, -pi⋅er, -pi⋅est.

1.chilly or cold: morning air that feels a bit nippy.
2.sharp or biting; tangy: nippy cheese.
3.Chiefly British Informal. nimble; agile.

do please elaborate on what you mean by nippy..? are ALL cars nippy?

nippy cheese tbh

lol!

p@blo

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio/A3
I thought -Leigh- knew what he was talking about, then i read that quote and realised he's full of s**t.

lol, to be fair the k4m will apparently give 220hp/220nm (s1600), but in std guise mines indisputably slow compared to my 172. :rasp:

MCS R56
First of all, 10.9 to 60 in a 1.2 is bollox. The 1.6 is like 9.0 secs, maybe slightly better. More like 13 secs.

Second of all - read the first point.

182 Trophy
Lol at the guy who's bought a 306derv so now thinks all diseasels are as quick as 172's, a pd130 golf will not keep with a 172, 30 more bhp and 200kg less weight ??? how do you come up with it keeping up?? lmao, just to make it fair we'll strap a turbo onto the clio so theyre both boosted, then i doubt the diesel would be able to produce half the torque never mind the bhp lol.

gotta love the john dear fans, its ace when they nail it and it sounds like a burger van generator being started up

120d M Sport
TBH, lol at 172 owners with the holier than thou attitude. Newsflash, a 172 can be toasted by a decent diesel saloon, they're not quick.

I certainly felt my 1.2 was nippy enough, certainly 'felt' faster than what the 75bhp figure suggested. The weight helps, my mum had a 75bhp Polo 1.4 and it was a slug compared to my old Clio.

Lol this man speaks sense

Albi Blue RS 200
Lol at the guy who's bought a 306derv so now thinks all diseasels are as quick as 172's, a pd130 golf will not keep with a 172, 30 more bhp and 200kg less weight ??? how do you come up with it keeping up?? lmao, just to make it fair we'll strap a turbo onto the clio so theyre both boosted, then i doubt the diesel would be able to produce half the torque never mind the bhp lol.

gotta love the john dear fans, its ace when they nail it and it sounds like a burger van generator being started up

Brilliant isn't it. I love 306 Dturbo owners, 90% think there cars have enough torque to spin the world round with there screw mods and what not and suddently diesel becomes the best thing since sliced bread.

I don't care how fast cars feel I go on figures alone and I can tell you now a 130 Golf has absoloutely no chance against a 172. I expected this nonsense on a 306 or a Golf owners telling everyone how they "dusted" a 172 but certainly not on here.

:lolup:

Status
Not open for further replies.