ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

MX5 Number 2.

Listerine & Poledo
coz race car?

for sure
6471528.jpeg

Hixle

Hi Kiss Luke E****
ClioSport Club Member
  E90 M3
Think I'm going to buy the most rare/best standard example I can find, and lower it on RACECARland coilovers and Rotas. Piss off errryone.

Back OT, look to see where you'll take this mate. Are you going to be at CSS? Might blag a passanger ride if you're about :)

Listerine & Poledo
Think I'm going to buy the most rare/best standard example I can find, and lower it on RACECARland coilovers and Rotas. Piss off errryone

Dont forget to add a plough to the nose, fit tyres that are too small for the wheels and, of course, weld the diff.

You'll be the hero of CS-JDM.

Listerine & Poledo
I know, I need to avoid them, they almost invariably lead to me getting angry at the OP.

:eek:

If I don't get the Benz and go Mazda instead I'll do it "by the book"*, then everyone can laugh at my arch gap, leather and air-con.

*: The Book refers to the Goodjtec Industries tuning standards guide

Another sh*t little update:

Removed the spoiler. What a c**t of a job that turned out to be! Once again, rusted nuts and bolts causing me grief.
It came off anyway, and has left me with 4 lovely holes that I need to think of a way to cover. I'm thinking the little black plastic tabs that hold down the interior carpet would do, until I can afford to get a new bootlid.

7395826842_c719b7cffb_z.jpg

De-Spoiler by j0eyD, on Flickr

7395825074_e268159aec_z.jpg

De-Spoiler by j0eyD, on Flickr

7395822932_2ff373c25c_z.jpg

Hole 1 by j0eyD, on Flickr

7395821416_a16c80d36a_z.jpg

Holes 2 & 3 by j0eyD, on Flickr

7395819852_e762bb6dd0_z.jpg

Hole 4 by j0eyD, on Flickr

I had a go at removing the mudflaps, but the bolts holding them on are completely seized, very small and very weak - so they all just rounded off. Yippeee!
Also had a look at the brake that's been sticking, it's definitely the handbrake mechanism - just hoping some WD40 will keep it lubed long enough to MOT it this month. If not, I'll just have to get a new calliper, like I will be doing anyway eventually.

Can't really see anything in this picture, but it's the cable directly in front/to the right that's causing grief.

7395818280_c62725e2f1_z.jpg

Rusty, dirty, knackered. by j0eyD, on Flickr

And one last picture, just so I can compare the various stages.

7395816834_b68e0266d1_z.jpg

Sitting high by j0eyD, on Flickr

Updates will be pretty slow for the rest of this month.. I've got a pair of wing-mirrors coming on Wednesday, going to re-paint the sills at some point and then I should hopefully be able to send it through an MOT.
Next month should see some decent updates, depending on how much I get underpaid again! :rolleyes:

Edition 30
I actually love you. You're doing everything I should have! Although I quite liked the spoiler.

Shame I had two cars and a holiday to pay for, oh well!

Still enjoying the engine?

I liked the spoiler to an extent. But it was a bit too heavy for the bootlid and it kept falling on my head when looking in the boot - pissed me off no end!

Engine hasn't been switched on since last Tuesday FML :( I've had the pleasure of getting the bus to and from work (keep f**king falling asleep on it too! LOL)

OH, and these are coming sometime next week, because the TSW's suck dick good and hard;

2012-06-15_14_51_32.jpg

Thanks Jamie!

HSD DT's... Either next month or the month after. Depends on how much I get paid at the end of the month! I've also found a shop that does 30-50mm spacers... LOL. It'll look amazing on those BBS's once I've done with it!

Thanks Chris :)
It's such a shame it's rotted so badly on the outside; the engine bay and interior are pristine! The suspension is typical 20-year-old rotten though. I imagine a thorough service would see it running and handling really nicely tbh!
All in good time...

Paul.M

ClioSport Club Member
Good little read this, best of luck with it.

Where do you work on the quays? we (balfour beatty) have a place down there with jobs going at the minute I'm very tempted to apply for some of them it just doesnt look very cheap to rent around there!

Edition 30
That's awesome! Suppose you're right about the HSD's, that's the way of have gone.

Dont Tein do a set up for these as well but it's like twice as much?!

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
Good to see you're still soldiering on!

Will all those marks around the holes come off the bootlid or is that as good as it gets???

Also, are they just packing tape marks on the wing??

Stick some halfords gromets in the holes, sorted.

Hixle

Hi Kiss Luke E****
ClioSport Club Member
  E90 M3
Good work mate. Getting there!

I don't think that I can't not have one. Triple negative y0. There's a mint supercharged on on PH that I'm currently trying to resist.

Good little read this, best of luck with it.

Where do you work on the quays? we (balfour beatty) have a place down there with jobs going at the minute I'm very tempted to apply for some of them it just doesnt look very cheap to rent around there!

I work at the Airport... which is not ideal - 2 hours walking/on the bus!
I rent out a 1 bed 2nd floor apartment with a balcony & parking space in the N.V. buildings for £650 a month. Make of that what you will!
It's a lovely area though, really, really recommend it!

Already completely sorted the boot out.
Rob, it was just dirt - nothing serious. And yes, the two stripes on the wing are just parcel tape - or the stuff that makes parcel tape sticky... I'll get it off when it's sunny & I have a day off.
I used some plastic tabs holding the interior carpet down and some black sealant. It's actually turned out quite neat - especially using that sealant stuff... it's horrid!
Excuse the camera phone pic!

7396755870_a25eeba159.jpg

IMAG0346 by joe.drewery, on Flickr

Last edited:
That's awesome! Suppose you're right about the HSD's, that's the way of have gone.

Dont Tein do a set up for these as well but it's like twice as much?!

I wouldn't bother with Teins on UK roads anyway, the spring rates/damping are horrific.

This. For the money, HSD's are unbeatable. And after driving Sebs (admittedly with higher spec HSD's) I'm sold.

Those wheels will look miles better pal.

Glad to see progress being made :)

They will! They'll have to go on after MOT though, bald as frig!

Good work mate. Getting there!

I don't think that I can't not have one. Triple negative y0. There's a mint supercharged on on PH that I'm currently trying to resist.

FLOL, Get a turbo'd one... old school power delivery FTW!
8 Pages?! Any tits in here yet?

Hurry up and make it low. ;)

FLOL.
It's all goodj arguing about how road cars are faster round corners than racing cars. Heh heh.

Nah, coils are coming soon. I promise.

Last edited:

Jamie86

ClioSport Club Member
  RS175,595,205gti,172
I've kindda just ordered some Rokkors for mine until I charge it then get HSD's :eek:

320d
Bloody hell I thought my MX5 was fucked.

I'm sure with the right time, money and commitment it will be mint again. Look forward to seeing progress.

I've kindda just ordered some Rokkors for mine until I charge it then get HSD's :eek:

My last MX5 had T.A.Technix coilovers (the same thing, just rebranded iirc). Very bouncy! And you can't go too low on the rear because the height adjustment collar eventually hits the drive shaft!
Oh, and before fitting them, I'd recommend removing most of the bumpstops on the rear... makes the ride a bit more bearable :)

Bloody hell I thought my MX5 was fucked.

I'm sure with the right time, money and commitment it will be mint again. Look forward to seeing progress.

LOL. Proper shed, this!
It's just all the bolts that will have never been removed/replaced since the car was built that are the problem at the moment. If they don't instantly round off, they just snap... very frustrating!

Taking my time with it though, and I'm confident it will look nice eventually...

Jamie86

ClioSport Club Member
  RS175,595,205gti,172
Nope apparently the Rokkors are different and don't have that issue, getting them from Germany as all the ones on UK eBay are TA's in various states of rebrand..

Just need to find some NB topmounts now!

welshname

ClioSport Club Member
For extra lows buy the Mk2 coilovers and topmounts.

Mk2 coilovers are cheaper iirc and also go lower. It also means with the top mounts from the Mk2 the car is lower than with mk1 topmounts so you can run it just as low with more suspension travel left if you get me. Kind of like when people run solid top mounts on the clio.