ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

MX5 Number 2.

Jason_E

ClioSport Club Member
  Elise, 530d
Been offered a pretty rotten (Although not too bad) one of these for £250. If I didn't just buy a holiday I'd so have snapped it up! Look like a right giggle, even if my lanky frame would look redic in one.

Course it's a serious project ;) just need to sort the arches out and it's fine!

MX5_CL is Adz's mate, I think. I do like his car, but there's already one quite similar to it in the states, and it's not really the 'look' I'm going for. Durty Harrys Miata from Club Roadster/Slamburglars is something I'd like to aim for/ take inspiration from, eventually; very low, 13 inch wheels and lots of drifting!

Been offered a pretty rotten (Although not too bad) one of these for £250. If I didn't just buy a holiday I'd so have snapped it up! Look like a right giggle, even if my lanky frame would look redic in one.

F**king hell! A steal at that price.
Its a shame they rot as badly as they do; mechanically they're really robust, especially for a car from the late 80's/early 90's.

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
Look at the 6 and the RX-8. Shockingly bad. The 3's don't seem half as bad.

Again. Carpet wheel arches iirc.

Right, small update on this mother.
I've decided to stop fighting rust. It's rusty as sh*t and I'll just have to live with it, or I'll end up spending a fortune on it. Plus I can't be bothered with trying to replace panels when all the brakets, nuts and bolts are all rusted together and just end up breaking. So it's just going to be a dirty, rusty shed with a welded diff and some coilovers that I can learn to drift in... Then when funds allow, I'll buy another less corroded '5 and transfer the nice parts over. I think for me, that's going to be the easiest option; living where I do and having limited time/space/tools/funds to work on it at the moment.

It'll still end up looking cool, it'll just be a bit untidy! lol

Anyway, today I took the Really bad wing off and, after a lot of stuff breaking, fitted a new, less rusty one (although it is still a bit rusty).

The old one had a visible hole which got worryingly worse in a short space of time...

7349818658_3c71ce8868_z.jpg

Rust by j0eyD, on Flickr

7187017247_fce7df1590_z.jpg

DSC_1481 by j0eyD, on Flickr

7187016867_355c76ac33_z.jpg

DSC_1482 by j0eyD, on Flickr

7187016501_5db9f05fe9_z.jpg

DSC_1483 by j0eyD, on Flickr

Wing off to reveal some more rust...

7187019595_abb9295aed_z.jpg

DSC_1474 by j0eyD, on Flickr

7372245350_5849d49ae2_z.jpg

DSC_1485 by j0eyD, on Flickr

That looks worse than it is, in fairness.

This broke with literally no force at all. It's a small bracket that holds the corner of the bumper & wing sturdy...

7372248062_214e8473a4_z.jpg

DSC_1477 by j0eyD, on Flickr

There was two bolts here - one sheared off, the other broke but less conveniently because I couldn't get it out.

7187018467_73115ac72d_z.jpg

DSC_1478 by j0eyD, on Flickr

New wing, still a little rusty at the bottom and covered in brown parcel tape.

Not rusty along the arch though, so that'll do nicely!

7187019279_1c6892655b_z.jpg

DSC_1475 by j0eyD, on Flickr

7372247196_60e1e0cd87_z.jpg

DSC_1479 by j0eyD, on Flickr

7187017653_13a7b67b99_z.jpg

DSC_1480 by j0eyD, on Flickr

7187015393_9156f33f6a_z.jpg

DSC_1490 by j0eyD, on Flickr

Meh, it was only £20. Need to spray the sill bit black, and job's a good 'en.

I also got a new key cut for £6.
You can just about see the crack/split in the old one;

7187015765_eecdb1a313_z.jpg

DSC_1489 by j0eyD, on Flickr

That's all for now. Got the new wing mirrors and brake seal kit on their way again, f**k knows why they didn't just leave it at reception the first time round. Useless c**ts.

Driftworks have just started selling HSD DT coilovers for £500 a pop, so I'll be giving those a go in a month or two.

*Sigh*.

I will be when it's back on the road!

The engine still amazes me. So rev happy compared to my last one! Just need to sort the rear brake out and get an MOT on it, then I'll be happy.

Edition 30
Drifting the main object?

The engine should be able to cope with some hammer, what's she like on fuel?

A bit crap at the moment, but I suspect the handbrake being constantly on has something to do with that!

Welded diff, coilovers and some sh*t tyres and it'll drift all day long. Also, since it's already quite tatty, it won't matter if I crash. LOL.

It'll be good for a year or so anyway, then I'll kill it good and proper. It's not like there aren't plenty more for sale...
Basically, I'm not spending all my money curing rust when I can get another car for not a lot of money that's in better shape. I'll just get the nice bits and pieces that can be transfered over to a better shell, like wheels, coilovers etc.

Yeah, f**k it. Drift Missile ftw!

I keep looking back at this :(

6014973660_cf510127e5_z.jpg

MX5 by j0eyD, on Flickr

It wasn't perfect, but FML - really loved that car.
Removing the spoiler and mud flaps soon, they're doing my head in. Half considering some cheap 14" daisies, as I absolutely hate the TSW's!

Also, anyone else with an MX5: Do you have wheel studs or just normal bolts? My first one had studs, and this one doesn't... Confused!

Last edited:

Jamie86

ClioSport Club Member
  RS175,595,205gti,172
Want some 14" BBS cheap? Will deffo drift on them with the tyres fitted ;)

Seen the MK2 turbo for sale with XXR's.. Looks awesome tempted to get rid of mine and the Clio for it!

Listerine & Poledo
drat, missed opportunity. While those wings were off it was the ideal time to but the strengthening beams in there.

never mind.

The wings will come off no trouble now! I don't think they had ever been removed since the car was built tbh - everything was rust-welded together.

Also, as much as they'd improve the drive, I have much higher priorities than stiffening the front end :(

Listerine & Poledo
bin it off and get a Mk2.5

Start with something with the rust-proofing, bracing, bilsteins and horsepower from the factory ;)

I'd get a pre-facelift MK2, but 2.5's are getting into a bit too much money for my liking (for an MX5 anyway!)

Next one will be in much better nick, this one I can make mistakes and not have to worry about swirl marks in the paint y0. Just need to get this one looking respectable and then replenish my funds.

Listerine & Poledo
getting a mouldy Mk.1 to look respectable?

thats good money being thrown at bad dude.

I had a Mk.2, my mate had a Mk.1. Both the base 1.8 engine. Nothing between them except the 2 felt slightly less like you were driving a palette. You can get 2's with the full "sport" spec of the 2.5's too. The anniversary edition. Worth a look.

Hixle

Hi Kiss Luke E****
ClioSport Club Member
  E90 M3
Keep it rusty. Weld the diff. Buy banded steelies. Get low.

Never clean it. Ever.

I hate always being right ;)

Love it. Think I might buy one after summer. How are they as a daily Joey?

Listerine & Poledo
When they're turned into a y0! mobile, s**t.

With a sensible ride height and a sensible wheel & tyre combo, they are fine.

I hate always being right ;)

Love it. Think I might buy one after summer. How are they as a daily Joey?

I was thinking of that Exact comment when I was wrestling with those rusty bolts. FFS! But yeah; never wash it, crash it a lot, very low, very sideways = awesome!

They're fine as a daily tbh. Mine, being standard height, clears most obstacles; speedbumps, curbs, fences, bungalows etc. You'll be used to that after Trophy ownership though ;)
Only thing you might miss is the power. They're not torquey in the slightest and you do have to give them a good thrashing - but the 1.6 makes quite a pleasant noise 4K+ and part of the fun is being able to drive at 9/10's and still be well within the limit :)
Also, when it's very wet you do have to be aware that they're RWD, especially if you've got s**t tyres on - this one steps out quite easily, I've found!

Listerine & Poledo
Being right all the time is more than a 9-5 job.

Sorry but Mazda spent millions to make the MX-5 a Japanese elan, now people spend hundreds turning it into a ditch-seeker.

point-to-point, a standard '5 will own all of the low 'n' y0 specials. Especially if theres a crest or a pothole thrown into the mix.

Last edited:
getting a mouldy Mk.1 to look respectable?

thats good money being thrown at bad dude.

I had a Mk.2, my mate had a Mk.1. Both the base 1.8 engine. Nothing between them except the 2 felt slightly less like you were driving a palette. You can get 2's with the full "sport" spec of the 2.5's too. The anniversary edition. Worth a look.

Did find a nice 10th anni for sale just before I got this one - unfortunately, it was around the time I almost lost my job, so had to go with a more sensible, cheaper option :(

Listerine & Poledo
Bad times fella, never a good thing to go through.

I'd say "cheaper" comes down to how much you end up throwing at this one though and "sensible" isn't something I'd usually associate with a "drift machine". :)

Homo spec mazda
Being right all the time is more than a 9-5 job.

Sorry but Mazda spent millions to make the MX-5 a Japanese elan, now people spend hundreds turning it into a ditch-seeker.

point-to-point, a standard '5 will own all of the low 'n' y0 specials. Especially if theres a crest or a pothole thrown into the mix.

Suck me beautiful

Bad times fella, never a good thing to go through.

I'd say "cheaper" comes down to how much you end up throwing at this one though and "sensible" isn't something I'd usually associate with a "drift machine". :)

Well, whichever car I went with - it will inevitably end up on a track at some point as I've been dying to do it for years!
As it is now, I stand to lose about £1100 less than if I'd have bought that 10th Anni. And then if you factor in that there's no chance I'd have left that standard, I think I made the right choice. Some suspension mods and a new differential are all that's really on the shopping list and they're not necessities, so I can't say I'm going to be throwing a lot at it really! Sure, I've spent £130 on a pair of new wing mirrors, a wing and a brake refurb kit, but that's all it's needed! Total cost is still well under £1,000.

I wouldn't worry about the handling of it now anyway, it's going to be about as rigid as a wet bog roll with that rust.

LOL! It's a 1.6 from 1991 - no bracing as standard, and it's 21 years old FFS! Like driving a blancmange.

Suck me beautiful

Flol! Much prefer driving a lowered car - none of the rolly polly business you get as standard. Gives you more confidence IMO.

Listerine & Poledo
the anni had the bilstein suspension, 6-speed, LSD and body bracing already installed... and the peppier 1.8.

and LOL at more confidence from lowz. You make it sound like they fitted monster-truck suspension!

:)