ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

MOT failure, no airbag

Ph2 Clio 172
So KwikFits interpretation of the MOT rules means after market wheels are a fail as the originally fitted airbag is missing.

What's my options. Buy an original wheel and airbag and fit for the MOT? Or is there a presidence I can use?

He's gonna finish the MOT, but its a fail regardless.

Carbonraider

ClioSport Club Member
  Raider, 172, the van
If it's not there how can it be tested aslong as there is no light on then what's the problem. It goes for wrc/stage rally cars they all have to be road legal due to travelling to and from stages via a public highway. And they have nothing in way of the original equipment list.

clio 182 FF
That's not right surely. If its been removed and done properly then it should pass.

Thats like saying if you remove your foglights in favour of cold air feeds then your car is a fail.

Cant be right.

The tester must check that all airbags fitted as original equipment are present, and it would fail if an airbag is missing. The only exception is when the car has been extensively modified, i.e. a rally car.

WRX
I think it has to be a fully stripped car, that essentially looks like a competition car. So if you've only changed the wheel, it's down to the examiner to interpret the rules.

Ph2 Clio 172
The "fitted as original equipment" bit is new. Added in the last 12 months (I think August last year).

Most other things don't have the "if it was there when it was new" clause, I.e. fog lights and washers, etc.

The joke of it all is, the resisters mean the light is off fine, so I'm going to fit a standard airbag that isn't connected to anything, and it will pass!

KitsonRis

ClioSport Club Member
The "fitted as original equipment" bit is new. Added in the last 12 months (I think August last year).

So you have to retro-fit all modifications done before August even if it passed the MOT last time around?

Glad I have seen this as I was going to fit a race style wheel to mine, and the ai bag will have to be removed. Although, I shouldnt need an air bag as I have harnesses and your face go nowhere near the wheel in the event of a crash (which hopefully will never happen), so could I argue the case?

Clio 172
Nightmare! I would just grab a scabby wheel off eBay and sling it on for the MOT tester. Should only be a quick 2 min job to swap them. The MOT tester seems a right jobs worth!

So you have to retro-fit all modifications done before August even if it passed the MOT last time around?

Glad I have seen this as I was going to fit a race style wheel to mine, and the ai bag will have to be removed. Although, I shouldnt need an air bag as I have harnesses and your face go nowhere near the wheel in the event of a crash (which hopefully will never happen), so could I argue the case?

If you have harnesses and buckets an aftermarket wheel will pass fine as other safety measures are in place, and in your situation an airbag will cause more harm than good

Kwik fit in this instance are right , if the car is presented as a obvious car modified for racing ie 1 bucket seat roll cage no dash , then yes you don't need the airbag

however if it's a standard Clio sport , and the airbags removed for a wheel with no airbag it is a fail on MOT regardless if the lights off etc as it fails on not having one fitted where one was fitted from factory

your options are find a tester who will be ignorant/blind to the fact
or
Refit the standard wheel for your test,

if you cable tie it / gaffer tape it won't pass as it's insecure lol

hope this helps any other MOT questions give me a message mate

Ph2 Clio 172
I've got a 15 quid wheel from ebay so will fit it and pass with that.

It does make a mockery of the MOT process that its so much up to the tester. There were loads of advisories on my last MOT that aren't on this one, yet I havent fixed them.

Also, fitting a cage and harnesses does not constitute modification for competition. But again that's up to an MOT tester to decide.

The whole rules process is awash with ambiguity and annoying red tape. The airbag I fit for the MOT will not be connected, as the resisters already ensure the lights off!

BoatNonce

ClioSport Club Member
Kwik fit in this instance are right , if the car is presented as a obvious car modified for racing ie 1 bucket seat roll cage no dash , then yes you don't need the airbag

however if it's a standard Clio sport , and the airbags removed for a wheel with no airbag it is a fail on MOT regardless if the lights off etc as it fails on not having one fitted where one was fitted from factory

This. It's for proper race cars, not lightly modded road cars.

And damn right too.