ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

MK3 1.5DCi

This is going to be quite hard to explain, so bear with me as I waffle on.

This is my first diesel car, I knew it'd be noisier than a petrol but is this maybe a problem I need to have looked at?

When accelerating, the engine has what sounds like a rattle. Its not a knock (like a bottom end) or a tap (like a head issue), just like an angry diesel engine noise.

When I depress the cluch and rev, the noise goes, it only seems to be when accelerating.

Could this be the clutch on the way out? Someone mentioned that I should be worried about a dual mass flywheel or something?? Sounds expensive.

my 86 seems really refined an smooth it never seems loud or rough :S

Cheers mate. I didn't notice it when I bought it. Maybe I am just getting used to the noise. It may be nothing. Don't want to take it back to the dealer and for them to laugh at me as I am being paranoid

infact based on your concerns i took mine out of a good run over mway hills an just working the gears it never felt rough or challenged or screamed i could hardly tell a diffrence doing 60-70-80 apart from a higher revs its always quiet

it just made me realise how much i like the car :D

the only noises i have are a vibration/buzzing from the seat belt noise from the breaks
the gearbox proved a bit notchy on a few gear changes not sure if this is me though :eek:

it may get rougher with more miles on as things ware depends how its been treated mines lived a very pampered life its not thrashed all the time its serviced yearly its only just done 11.500 :eek:

Last edited:
Ah, mines is currently on just shy of 57k, so yours is just a baby lol

It doesn't sound like something is about to break, just seems noisy. May well be because its my first oil burner though and I'm not used to the noise.

The trim rattle coming from the rear door takes my mind off it quickly though. Plastic French cr*p lol.

Ah, mines is currently on just shy of 57k, so yours is just a baby lol

It doesn't sound like something is about to break, just seems noisy. May well be because its my first oil burner though and I'm not used to the noise.

The trim rattle coming from the rear door takes my mind off it quickly though. Plastic French cr*p lol.

i expect its fine so are you going to post some pics ;)

MERCEDES CLS AMG
Delphi injector may need replacing - remove them and get them checked. A faulty injector will sound like your bottom end is knocking. This will occur when the nozel on the injector is constantly open or its throwing to much fuel into the engine.

Last edited:
I think I am maybe just reading too much into it. I find myself listening to diesel cars going past just now..................sad I know.

It doesn't sound any different to most others.

I think I am maybe just reading too much into it. I find myself listening to diesel cars going past just now..................sad I know.

It doesn't sound any different to most others.

:clown: video it an we have a listen i upload mine so you can compare it ;)

lol, mate I am the most un computer friendly guy you will ever meet.

It took me long enough to upload a picture, never mind trying to find out how to do a video.