ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

mk2 ph2 1.4 16v (pic heavy)

mk2 ph1 1.4 S
Rattle can ftw!

Best bet! Even if the colour match ain't great it will be a f**k load cheaper to have sprayed again rather than full prep and spray

Knuckles

ClioSport Admin
Upsetting update; remember the stencil what I cut out to modify the bolt hole in the wing? I shouldn't have done that, it's now too short to bolt in, oh well, body shops gonna ring me to book it in next week (one of two) so that gives me time to get the bolt holes right and fill in the excess

Ibiza FR
Looks good, fair play for doing all the work yourself too! The one thing I am unsure about is the lip that goes up the side of the wing - I think it would look better with the standard gap? Just a thought

Knuckles

ClioSport Admin
The lip is much better than the gap mate, it would've looked so out of place. I'll see if I can find a pic to show you...

Found one
before cutting the bumper to fit the arches
e35fabeb.jpg

After cutting and tucking
11d1d702.jpg

Best I have but you can see the gap would make it look a bit shoddy if I left it

Knuckles

ClioSport Admin
Right, the updates are going to be small for a while, I've decided to get the bumper all ready for painting, primed and smooth so all the painter will need to do is apply colour;

Remember I cut the bolt hole too much? I hope this has fixed it

f05abc7c.jpg

The plan is to sand this and cut it so it's a perfect fit then screw the bolt through to taper it

eef8d0df.jpg

The cracks almost finished too

0371f28b.jpg

e965406f.jpg

Oh, please don't defecate on my rainbow by telling me the fibreglass won't work, id like to find that out on my own

Shame about cutting too much out. Have you put the bit you cut out back into the fibreglass or was this not possible?

Done a good job of the crack as well! If you're priming it why not paint it and lacquer it? Surely if the rest of you car is different shades of red anyway the 'pro' wont be able to do it much better than yourself? Unless they are blending the it into the wings and bumper in that case, It'll be a lot on money!

Knuckles

ClioSport Admin
There's no point, I only cut off about a centimetre anyway so it'd be easier to just reshape the fibreglass myself.

I don't trust myself to spray it, plus I don't have a spray gun. And halfrauds don't stock a colour close to mine, I was talking to a doorman I work with who owns a garage the other night, he recommended an apparently cheap decent place not too far away so I shall check there next week :)

Hmm I'll see, ill check if I can get it off work then I might follow some ne members down, it's a 2 day camping/ hotel event right?

It's just for the day, I'm going down on the Saturday. Not sure if im going with the NW or NE lot yet, but a lot of us are staying at the Travelodge Alwalton on the saturday night, then after the show driving home.

Mk5 Ibiza Cupra
I really hope for your own sake that the end result is worth all this hassle. It looks like some sort of sea urchin has attached itself to the bumper

Knuckles

ClioSport Admin
That would be my girlfriends cardi :p

And danzel it's not really much hassle, apart from the body shop being picky. Tbf it gives me more time to work on it and get more used to body work, always a good skill to have I suppose. It's been a fun couple of weeks and I haven't once thought to pack in and sell on :) I guess I'll just be more chuffed at the end

Knuckles

ClioSport Admin
I thought the bumper was all nice and ready to be sprayed the other day, I had some primer lying around so I give it a once over to show up imperfections... There were a few :/

f6089961.jpg

ae171c82.jpg

d07effd7.jpg

I went over the whole thing with p800 p1200 and p1500 to get it all nice and smooth, filled in any bits that needed filling, resanded. And reprimed.

ea177c02.jpg

82dca707.jpg

accd51aa.jpg

d294f8e8.jpg

The plan is to sand it all down so it's all ready to go to the body shop, find a body shop, bolt it on and take it down :)

Last edited:

Jb.

Mk2 Ph2 Non-Sport
Great insight into the work that goes into this kind of thing, I'll be watching this thread closely.
Keep up the good work :)

Knuckles

ClioSport Admin
I'm quite chuffed that I managed to get a bumper off in 5 mins without jacking, get another bumper sanded, fitted, marked out, cut and drilled... All in an hour :approve:

Here's today's progress

cd7da5c1.jpg

5067939f.jpg

79f637c4.jpg

a28952cc.jpg

The fibreglass 'sea urchin' has been cut to shape and drilled so I don't need the metal clips to screw the bolts into :)

All that's left now is to make the join between the boer and the wing smoother and more flush. Another coat of primer and then to a body shop for spraying :) I recommend anyone who's thinking of doing this to do it. It's been so much fun and a massive learning experience

Yozz'd up 182
Looks really good, but any reason you didnt just buy the sport wings?

Would make the skirts easier to fit aswell?

Knuckles

ClioSport Admin
I don't have one yet, gonna get a skoda one unless a better one comes up cheap...

And i'll say it's because my cars not a sport so I don't wanna make a full rep, these bumpers just look better ;)

But really it's because I'm cheap, wings would mean skirts, arch liners and spacers. Aswell as matching paint to the body and bonnet which have faded to slightly different colours :/ this has been fun though and it's been relatively easy, I've put in a few hours a night. If that. To get this far. It's a short lived hobby ATM lol :)

billabong...
its looking fantastic! just wondering with the rear bumper, did it go straight on with no real adjustment?

Knuckles

ClioSport Admin
Yeah, cars in the body shop ATM, getting the paint blended into the bonnet and wings, should be back by next week. Quite lucky that the garage my girlfriend bought her car from had a body shop out back, the guys dead canny and I've seen a bit of progress he made today and the colour match is spot on :) I'll be updating this and posting a media post soon :)

Knuckles

ClioSport Admin
I need to learn to not be exited about things before I see results :/

Remember this lovely crack that I repaired so awesomely?

f6089961.jpg

See, no sign of damage at all... When the garage put the bumper in the car to take to the body shop... A front bumper... In a Clio, doesn't really fit. So that put pressure on the bumper making the crack re open. The guy at the body shop said he won't bother fixing it, because if he does. It'll be under too much stress from that kind of crack and any vibration or jolt would make it crack again.

So I'm leaving the normal bumper on and looking for a mint example of a 1*2 bumper and then I'll start again :dapprove:

I am genuinely let down by this... I'm over reacting but I can't help it for now. :/ oh well, ima trawl the for sale section and eBay again

PH1 172, E39
good work pal.
I have a question with the 172 rear bumper. U had to take out the stone shields and use those of a 172?