ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

mk2 ph2 1.4 16v (pic heavy)

Knuckles

ClioSport Admin
Right, I was going to wait untill this was finished before I updated but;

I got hold of a 1*2 front bumper, came up cheap off eBay so I thought why not.

Got home to find this a few days after pressing buy

b4cd2f9b.jpg

The ad said it had a crack in, I was expecting a bigger one

6402eddb.jpg

To my surprise it came with everything; both grills, fogs and washer jets
5e967147.jpg

2c88fc5f.jpg

f37b86cc.jpg

092eb218.jpg

It also came with one arch liner... What a ballache this was to remove

105c6245.jpg

aa9329f3.jpg

I started to remove every bit of plastic trim with the intention of spraying it satin black... But I couldn't be arsed

2c3cb5ee.jpg

1caeeaaf.jpg

Then I set to sanding it all

d800a448.jpg

This is smooth... Trust me ;)

0eb965e8.jpg

I removed the majority of the gloss, I saw a guide on here that recommended this

492c588b.jpg

6a926d29.jpg

After a trip to the body shop and getting the impression that the guy REALLY didn't want to take this job on, saying he'd need to cut s**t and plastic weld other s**t and saying he'd charge £300 I kindly declined.

Off I went to halfords to pick up some p38 and p40 aswell as

06cdb345.jpg

Can't go wrong for £45 on special... Untill I drop a car on myself I suppose

My car hasnt been this high since it had standard suspension

8523a6f2.jpg

After realising I don't own and torx screws my car stayed like this for an hour untill a friends dad dropped some off

0f9a184d.jpg

My mate touched my indicator ad the cover fell off :/ anyone else had this?

536a47a5.jpg

I have no mechanical experience and I managed to get this far ;)

cb4627bb.jpg

I set about making a stencil to modify the bolt holes

f586ec46.jpg

629cd881.jpg

Which my dad cut out :)

fd81b966.jpg

a8461299.jpg

Jungle jims guide was then followed from here on

e35fabeb.jpg

60e84a1d.jpg

Fibreglass in

ab1e55a7.jpg

153b1ec1.jpg

I stunk the whole house out with it :eek:

d650102f.jpg

a5d873c4.jpg

b5279715.jpg

It's now chilling in my garage drying for the filler to go on tomorrow, if all goes to plan then it'll be in the body shop on Friday... Hopefully

Any help or advice welcomed :)

Thanks

chumpmobile
Thanks a lot, me too, I hope it turns out as good as jims ha

I think I'm more naive, as in not seeing how big of a job my dad was constantly telling me it was :) and I suppose this is a good way to develop skills :)

haha yeah i know man! my car is a mess because i have started a job and lost motivitaion and i just cba haha

Knuckles

ClioSport Admin
I'm not sure, I was gonna give it to the bodyshop to plastic weld and fill properly Jon :)

And thanks jimbo :) I hope it looks good... Ive never attempted anything like this before. Fingers crossed like

Yeah, Doing what rob and I said will probably be best. You'll get some more experience and IMO be a lot cheaper than getting the bodyshop to plastic weld it.

Jap Box
Nice prgress :) cool too see youve managed to attempt all of this yourself too. Will keep posted for the update :)

Knuckles

ClioSport Admin
Sanded back the fibreglass and got the filler in

2c099d15.jpg

5b636f59.jpg

7454a2d3.jpg

I also went about filling this crack. I'll fibreglass the back when I can take the bumper off. That should be ok right?

b98afc9a.jpg

I filled in some little dents and chips too

0ed25a0e.jpg

4060ec82.jpg

6349dd09.jpg

Knuckles

ClioSport Admin
The bumper popped off after prying away the tape

37672808.jpg

1691e673.jpg

The 'wall of fibreglass' as promised by jungle jims guide, quite reassuring to see that I'm doing it right lol

abcdd414.jpg

Back onto the car to see how much needed sanding off

facdabd0.jpg

I used an orbital sander to take the majority off, I shat myself as it took so much off so quickly :s I got the hang of it quick ish. Then bumper on the floor to get more off and round it off

c4ee9d39.jpg

0cf0ff2b.jpg

And back on to get the 'angle' right...

4afbb8a8.jpg

b17590f3.jpg

I think I managed to smooth the end of the bumper into the wing

fbad6672.jpg

bc9612ae.jpg

bc4d1d29.jpg

64d812e0.jpg

57d232c1.jpg

d9b5a079.jpg

054fee34.jpg

Im gonna ring the body shop tomorrow and hopefully all will be ok and it can be sprayed over the weekend.

Now, I cba to jack it up to rebolt it in place to drive 10 mins to unbolt it again, would cable ties suffice to hold it in place for a 10 min drive?

Jap Box
Nice job! Impressive work to be honest if youve never done anything like that before. About the cable ties situation, id have thought they would be fine, I drove mine for a week with string holding on the bumper and it was fine apart from slight jiggling around.

Jap Box
Lol oh dear, why?

And thanks, im a little chuffed at the fit and that it took two days :) I hope the spray guy has no hangups about spraying it

Collided with a brand new fiat 500 on a dual carriageway sideways :rasp: mounts or something must have popped out, happened to have string in the car so tied it on using that rather sturdy until it got fixed, sides of the bumper are sagged though connecting with the wing :(

Ohh nice, doubt the sprayer will have a problem considering you have already basically done the sanding for it, all he needs to do is primer, paint and laquer right?

Knuckles

ClioSport Admin
Aah I see.

And yeah hopefully, he'll probablies wanna tidy it up a bit, I accidentally melted a bit of bumper after my dad recommended I use an orbital sander... Bad idea, but I've tidied it up as much as I can, I couldn't get the rear trim off to fix the crack properly so there's another job for him lol :eek:

Awesome work!

As for holding the bumper on cable ties will be fine. My bumper's held on with 1 arch liner screw and one bolt that is located under the arch liner. Both on the same side.

f**king ghetto, and never had any problems!

Knuckles

ClioSport Admin
Awesome work!

As for holding the bumper on cable ties will be fine. My bumper's held on with 1 arch liner screw and one bolt that is located under the arch liner. Both on the same side.

f**king ghetto, and never had any problems!

Lmao oarsumn!!! I'm not gonna have the archliners bolte in, don't think they fit :dapprove:

Nah they wont, there not wide enough. You don't need them anyway. I'm missing one on one side.

reading this back makes my car sound fucked! It's not, honest.

roberto.

ClioSport Club Member
  S4 Avant
Good work, itl look spot on when its finished like mate. Kudose for doing it all yourself too. What bodyshop you taking it too? Could reccomend one if need be

Jap Box
Why dont you make an attempt at it yourself first? Ov even do some prep work like sanding down and adding primer, that will lower the costs :)