ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Missfire / hesitation under acceleration

KitsonRis

ClioSport Club Member
Driving along and giving it a bit of a boot full the car stops, no acceleration, sounds like a missfire on multiple cylinders and the car bogs down. This is when foot is too the floor. Then all of a sudden, about 5 seconds of it fannying about, it kicks back into life or take foot off for a small moment and back to power it's fine. Gentle acceleration seems to be fine. And this issue is intermittent, doesn't always do it in every journey but seems to do it when it is cold but becoming more common. Was fine after it did it a few times. There is no EML and cannot check for error codes until tomorrow (reader is at my mums and I am not until tomorrow).

Had 4 new injectors earlier this year. I also had a starting issue a while back which could have been crank sensor, but this issue hasn't showed itself for about 8 months. I am either thinking coil pack, HT leads or crank sensor. There seems to be a small pinch in the wires that go to the coil pack (not the HT leads) but these aren't shorting out on each other or cut all the way through.

Anyone had any similar issues and solved it? Or any pointers apart from swapping coil pack, HT leads and crank sensor?

dan's cast offs.
had a phase 1 do very similar things, turned out to be lambda. think it was just being a bit slow switching but not sure as was a while ago.

see what it's doing on live data.

KitsonRis

ClioSport Club Member
see what it's doing on live data.
Umm maybe a stupid question, but how do I do this? Unless you mean plug it into an ODB reader and see if anything has been flagged up.
If it is a lambda I am happy to swap even if I am unsure as the plan for this winter/next year is to have a rebuilt engine so new parts like that don't bother me. Will it throw an error code without the EML light being activated? Will check when I am at my mums tomorrow though.

Not sure if it it the TB as when it happens, there is an initial acceleration and then a misfire sound (like a rally car lifting off) and naff all power. Pedal travel and feel is fine so I don't think the cable is stuck somewhere.

dan's cast offs.
half decent reader will show you what you need to know, pre cat lambda and fuel trims. the lambda can be iffy and not throw a fault code though hence looking at live data.

KitsonRis

ClioSport Club Member
Not sure if the reader at home will give live data like that, think it could just be a simple "fault code reader". Will give a gander tomorrow.
Didn't even think lambda, just thought it was spark/ignition related

dan's cast offs.
th one i had in caight me by surprise to be fair, i was pretty certain it was crank sensor before it came in.

Clio 172 Merc ML55
my mate's 182 was doing this, would occasionally throw on the engine light (bottom right hand corner), was the pre cat lambda playing up

KitsonRis

ClioSport Club Member
For anyone in the future who may read this with the same issue, I changed the pre-cat lambda and it has seemed to solve the issue. The car is totally different to drive, so much better - it actually pulls a lot more and more responsive. Quite surprised as it suggests it had been gone for some time without me knowing! So I am pleased.

Clio 182 Cup
Hmmm, the reason i prefer Ph1's with just a single lambda set up, gotta be more sought after if your looking to purchase an ever increasingly rare Ph1....