ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Mazda Performance Scone. Mazda 3 MPS Project Log

Tunst

ClioSport Club Member
  Focus ST225, Focus E
  Italian 3.2 V6
I almost bought on of these instead of the GTA, it was on my short list! Great cars for the money and very quick!

Maybe a 172 Cup..
I love these and how subtle they are. Even more so in that colour.

Never sat in them, but love the front seats as well!!

-J-

RS2'ed 172 Cup
Was just looking at this one on EBay, only 18k miles on the clock to IIRC.

Epic looking cars, really fancy one myself but don't think I can move my clio on...

aucky

ClioSport Club Member
It goes without saying that the engine is massively capable. How does the chassis etc keep up with power mods?

The GF's dad is talking about mapping his 6MPS, hopefully I'll get a go.

Evo 5 RS
Love these things. But over an R32? No way.

Besides the noise and image...there really isn't a lot lost. I love Vag build quality and cabins, but the Mazda is massively tunable in comparison and not to mention on paper, the Mazda is faster anyway.

Don't get me wrong, the R32 is one of my all time greats. Just not for the right reasons.

RDH

ClioSport Club Member
Besides the noise and image...there really isn't a lot lost. I love Vag build quality and cabins, but the Mazda is massively tunable in comparison and not to mention on paper, the Mazda is faster anyway.

Don't get me wrong, the R32 is one of my all time greats. Just not for the right reasons.

No doubt the Mazda will be quicker, and without big money you just have to accept the R32s performance. I did look at an MPS in white before I bought this, the depreciation scared me a little although it was top end value. For what you can buy them for it is an awesome piece of kit.

Evo 5 RS
Apparently this is with the 155mph limiter still in place. Ignoring the Porsche as I'm assuming it was only playing, still really impressive. Going by his other videos it seems to 280ps so remapped.

Last edited by a moderator:

Scrooge

ClioSport Moderator
  E55 AMG
Love chasing Dave in his, relentless to 155. Really stable at those speeds too.

A3 2.0TFSI QUATTRO
Very quick cars once played with

My mate who is on mpsoc has his 3 at total mps at the min and had a 4wd conversion and around 600bhp while it still looks standard apart from huge brakes

Evo 5 RS
Very nice sir, double check the DSC works. Very common fault.

I think my mates dad had the same on his Lexus. It's the MK60 ABS module that fails. VAGS have them too but wasn't aware it was an issue on these! Will look out for it on test drive.

Mk1 focus
Yeah a lot of manufactures have the same unit. Mine went earlier this year and I was dreading the price. Mazda were charging nearly £1100 for a new unit but its a sensible £350 now. I have never heard it be common on the mps than it is on the sport though.

jamier27

ClioSport Club Member
  T5, Ariel Atom 300
Great value, good all rounder!

had 2 myself and would always have another.

picking up a 400bhp FRS tonight and my old Mps would certainly keep with it

Evo 5 RS
Not had much time to take any pics yet but will do in the week.

First impressions are very good. Love the interior / dials. Seats are very comfortable. The one thing which did surprise me is just how raw it is. You can drive it like any normal-ish hatchback, but when you want to cover ground it turns into a different car. The pull from 60 mph is pretty astonishing, and it just keeps pulling and pulling. The gearbox I have to say is not the cars best point. It's not terrible by any means, but coming from a VAG box it feels...Japanese. It does have a very firm feel to it though which is good fun when pedaling.

So basically I'm chuffed with it already. It is very understated, and a wolf in sheep's clothing. Especially without the areo kit.

pfhh.jpg

rtdm.jpg

182, 172 Track Shed
Had one of these for 2 years, ex demo model so had all the bells and whistles, just recently swopped for the new Focus ST

Really great cars, you'll have a lot of fun!

Evo 5 RS
I love the gearbox in these, the weighted gear knob helps it along nicely too.

It's not a bad box at all, it's just different I suppose. It's epic when pedaling with it as I say. It covers ground fast, a lot faster than I expected! Currently averaging 28.2mpg.

As it's so quiet most of what you can hear from the front is the turbo sucking in children (maybe not at 15psi but for the sake of drama lol), love it

_Tom

ClioSport Club Member
Ah so the aero in the first pic wasnt yours? You no got aero?

What do these weigh?

Evo 5 RS
Ah so the aero in the first pic wasnt yours? You no got aero?

What do these weigh?

No, the one above is the one I eventually chose ^. Not sure on weight. Not particularly fussed. However much it is, it's not enough to slow it down lol.

_Tom

ClioSport Club Member
No, the one above is the one I eventually chose ^. Not sure on weight. Not particularly fussed. However much it is, it's not enough to slow it down lol.

Sleeper..almost. BHP per tonne its about the same as my TT. Fun but you soon get used to it.. Not that it's hard to sort out when it does..;)

Evo 5 RS
Not really a sleeper lol. But I'd almost definitely say most folk don't have a clue what it is. True, a remap is calling...eventually lol. It is however quick enough for now. For now means a month or two just FYI

Evo 5 RS
So things to do at some point.

Rear discs and pads
refurb alloys in light metalic grey. (Not sure yet)
replace splitter and possibly respray front bumper.
repaint side strips
remap.

r5b9.jpg