ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Mazda Performance Scone. Mazda 3 MPS Project Log

Evo 5 RS
In a straight line if hard pressed in the dry can give you some trouble in second, but for the most part you rarely see TC take over. In the wet obviously you need to take some extra care, but it is fairly tame when pottering for a car with 280ftlbs. When driving properly though what surprised me most of all is just how raw it is. It's no slouch in terms of engaging driving!

I'm not sure if the aero eibachs offer anything in the way of real world extra stability, but the chassis could do with being a little tighter IMO. But it does handle really well regardless. The diff is pretty trick apparently and driving it more I'm sure I'll start to see just how beneficial it is, having never driven FWD car with a limited slip. Hopefully have an outing at Brands at some point, even if it is the family wagon. Hopefully with some r26s present for a representation lol.

Loving it at the moment though, very well rounded car. Japanese paint aside

Evo 5 RS
Shopping list...

AutoEXE-TMIC.jpg

HKS-CATBack.jpg

CorkSport-Intake.jpg

logo.gif

lol. Simples.

Evo 5 RS
Should be good for 300bhp and 300ftlbs, maybe more maybe less. Seen some get as much as 320ftlbs with very little help.

Oh, missed off HPFP internals. Pumps are normally good for 300bhp but might as well cover bases for the sake of £75.

_Tom

ClioSport Club Member
How much will that little lot cost you? Im not sure whether to mod the TT. I usually spend a load of money then sell them...lol

Evo 5 RS
Enough. But I'm in no rush. The Corksport stuff is import only from the States. To be honest, I could quite easily just fit the induction kit and drive on up to RS Tuning and get similar results. I very much doubt I'll be making the trip again though.

_Tom

ClioSport Club Member
Enough. But I'm in no rush. The Corksport stuff is import only from the States. To be honest, I could quite easily just fit the induction kit and drive on up to RS Tuning and get similar results. I very much doubt I'll be making the trip again though.

Yeah you definately only want to map once..

Evo 5 RS
My mates tax renewal just come through, £520 lol!

lol WHAT! How's that work? Thought it was £475. To be fair I'm not bothered, the tax band tends to keep people off for some reason. It's not like it's an unexpected expense. Less of em on the road = yay for me

Ol’ Tarby

ClioSport Moderator
  Clio 220 Trophy

FR&R in Bradford used to stock the cork sport stuff I believe, dunno if they still do not?

BMW M4; S1000 RR
lol @ Half a grand to tax a car for a year. Guess that's a sign of things to come but it still makes me feel better about my 172 being £260 lol.

I still want one of these.

Evo 5 RS
It's not cheap, but as I said last week I don't see the extra expense on tax as an issue. It's not as though it's an unexpected repair bill. They're great cars at an affordable price and reliable.

BMW M135i
Why do people get so hung up on the tax, its hardly the end of the world once a year. But people will drop £450 on an exhaust etc without thinking twice.

Put £40 a month away if its a problem.

Evo 5 RS
Exactly. Every time these get mentioned people mention the tax. If you're that tight the MPS really isn't the car for you anyway. It guzzles fuel like no ones business.

len_beach

ClioSport Club Member
  E92 M3,172 track car
Why do people get so hung up on the tax, its hardly the end of the world once a year. But people will drop £450 on an exhaust etc without thinking twice.

Put £40 a month away if its a problem.
It's always baffled me this sort of thing. "I want something cheap to run so I'm going to spend £5,000 more on a car because it's £100 a year less to tax."

Evo 5 RS
Not much to report. Been busy moving so it's just sitting hanging at the moment. Going in for it's MOT on Sat and going to give it some winter protection before the months out. It gets hammered daily though that's all that matters :D

Evo 5 RS
Few things, cabin quality is pretty good but not VAG...The engine note at stock is a little less driver orientated, it's a little like driving a rapid bubble.

But on the whole, they're extremely well put together. 280ftlbs of torque means it leaves the GTi and the Meg in the acceleration stakes, and the diff is barrels of fun. I've been told off a few times now it has to be said. Great value for money :)

Evo 5 RS
The P Zeros are great but in the wet, the same with any car with power at the front the TCS can occasionally let you know about it quite aggressively! Sometimes all the way into 4th. LSD does wonders though. It is torque limited all the way into 4th gear, and I've not bothered to disable the torque limiter yet. For the most part though it's such an easy drive, not as driver orientated as other hatches but it becomes quite raw when you want it to.

Evo 5 RS
Removing the torque limiter makes one hell of a difference mate!

I'd imagine so TBH, is it a case of doing that ignition trick? (Can't remember how exactly). Or does that not disable it.

They map to 300BHP before you require fuel pump internals and between 320-340ftlbs

jamier27

ClioSport Club Member
  T5, Ariel Atom 300
Similar torque to diesels.
Great engine as I found better economy than the 197 I had immediately prior to my first Mps, tho that's no great achievement

Ol’ Tarby

ClioSport Moderator
  Clio 220 Trophy
I'd imagine so TBH, is it a case of doing that ignition trick? (Can't remember how exactly). Or does that not disable it.

They map to 300BHP before you require fuel pump internals and between 320-340ftlbs

No mate it has to be mapped out to completely remove.

If you turn the ignition on, and before starting the engine, disable the DSC, this then turns the traction control off fully. People say it's more responsive too but I never really noticed the difference.

Scrooge

ClioSport Moderator
  E55 AMG
Nope but the fuel pump internals have arrived so JD needs a go as standard. Perfect replacement to the S3 IMO.

Evo 8 MR

As a general rule you should replace the hpfp internals before you map the car as there's been reported failures with ones mapped with just an intake.