ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Mazda Performance Scone. Mazda 3 MPS Project Log

Evo 5 RS
I much prefer it without mate personally. Goes with the understated'ness. It's the same reason there is no point in de-badging it. Most folk don't even know what MPS means lol.

Scrooge

ClioSport Moderator
  E55 AMG
I debadged the mps bit of my mates as it looks a little cleaner.

I love how a lot of people rip into him for barrying up his Mazda family wagon, everyone thinks it's a 1.6 with m3 mirrors lol

Evo 5 RS
I know, they really are one of the most understated hatches out there, with a remap I can easily imagine it's a proper weapon, it's quick as it is.

When the wheels are off, need to get the tyres swapped as she left Falcons at the front and relatively decent tread P-Zeroes at the back lol. Deary...

Scrooge

ClioSport Moderator
  E55 AMG
It's a shame the wheels are so thin. I like the style but I really think it needs wider tyres.

The diff can throw you sometimes accelerating out of small tight corners, very amusing to drive. Needs a silencer kicked off or a proper exhaust too.

Stil trying to get my mate to map it but he wants to do it all at once, uprate fuel pump piston, exhaust, injectors and fmic etc.

​ Is the handbrake awful on yours?

Evo 5 RS
Hand brakes fine, sat on my rents drive ok last weekend and that's almost the steepest part of Surrey. lol.

Yeah, if the wheels are a wee bit too far over out of the corners it can snap at you a fair bit. It's great fun though! It is extremely quiet though as you say, only audible tone is the turbo when you put your foot down. Not a bad thing though really, and I'm not sure if I can be done with making it any louder. More power is fine by me, but I'm keen on keeping it as understated as possible. As for the the width of the wheels, agree. they could do with being a bit wider. The only thing that shows off the back end is the exhaust because of this.

After I'm done fixing up the very few niggles I have cosmetically though, a remap is on the cards, but will see how we go from there. I'm intent on enjoying it before I start throwing money away on the engine.

Evo 5 RS
It's not great. Depends, I'm sure I'll calm down a bit on the pedal eventually as you do lol. But with the occasional blast of the right foot the needle moves...it moves a lot. Currently averaging 28.2, apparently lol.

Basically I'd say they're a flees c**k away from falling into the properly s**t on fuel bracket lol. Could be worse, could be an Evo.

Fabia VRS & Yeti
It's not great. Depends, I'm sure I'll calm down a bit on the pedal eventually as you do lol. But with the occasional blast of the right foot the needle moves...it moves a lot. Currently averaging 28.2, apparently lol.

Thats not too bad depending on 'blast' lengths and frequency!

Ol’ Tarby

ClioSport Moderator
  Clio 220 Trophy
They need the aero spoiler at least in my opinion.

Just for info, on a trip to the ring, three laps, and the drive home, mine averaged 34mpg which I didn't think was too bad.

Evo 5 RS
So not much to report, wheels are going in on Thursday so will get some pictures up then. Just been reading on the owners club and have discovered a trick. Going to try it out later, apparently if you turn the ignition to position two, then press the DSC (stability control) button, it removes both traction control, DSC and the torque limiter.

A few people have said it transforms the car, but I think they're the same sort of folk who take stability control for granted lol. Definitely won't be trying it with the sprog in the car.

MPG still sitting at 28.2, my commute consists of minimal stop starting, and mainly a 50mph limit over 7 miles. It's not tragic on fuel but certainly drinks it

Really enjoying it, it's such an animal for a standard car. Much rawer than I would of imagined before driving one.

Last edited:

Scrooge

ClioSport Moderator
  E55 AMG
Even with the torque limiter and dsc on you can still get it to torque steer lol

Evo 5 RS
I'm not clear on whether the DSC trick removes the torque limiter lol, but going to give it a go anyway. And yeah it still torque steers, it's got plenty toruqez! More than an E46 M3 for those of you who speak CS lol.

Evo 5 RS
Yeah definitely, sounds like you're bigging it up but you can't really believe it till you've been in one. It pulls like a train lol. A really quiet, fast bubble train.

Evo 5 RS
BEAST.

That is all

Lol x

Wheels done. Really pleased with them. Just a quick one from the drive home.

Always tempting to get something suave but resisted. Sticking with the subtle style of the car.

azybenug.jpg

Passat
Really nice mate. I'm always looking out for these. I think the light blue colour looks immense, but silver is very nice and subtle too.

Didnt you fancy the Aero spoiler? Probably an expensive retro-fit but I do love them. Prefer your mirrors though...can't believe the others don't even fold!

Ol’ Tarby

ClioSport Moderator
  Clio 220 Trophy
Lol x

Wheels done. Really pleased with them. Just a quick one from the drive home.

Always tempting to get something suave but resisted. Sticking with the subtle style of the car.

azybenug.jpg

​Looks really nice that. Needs a bit of lows though maybe?

Evo 5 RS
Without the eibach springs that come with the areo kit they do sot slightly higher but not massively fussed. Maybe a mod for the future.

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
Really like that, if I wasn't on my phone I'd look back to back at aero and non, I know I prefer your mirrors, but I think I prefer how Dave (ants mate)'s looks otherwise.

Really like it though dude, proper bus.

Ol’ Tarby

ClioSport Moderator
  Clio 220 Trophy
Really like that, if I wasn't on my phone I'd look back to back at aero and non, I know I prefer your mirrors, but I think I prefer how Dave (ants mate)'s looks otherwise.

​Posted a pic of my aero on the previous page Rob :)

edit: no I didn't, wrong thread

Last edited:
  Evo 5 RS

Cheers mate. If i'm honest I'm not sure which I prefer more. I love how understated they look without but the spoiler does set the back end off nicely. It will definitely be staying non areo though, besides the springs maybe.

Scrooge

ClioSport Moderator
  E55 AMG
Looks Good, needs those springs though :)

Haven't seen one with that black bit on the rear bumper before.

Evo 5 RS
Just gave the car it's first proper clean. Need to go over it with a DA but noticed there are a fair few chips that are starting to rust. Mazda paint is not the best that's for sure. It's no wonder they're so quick with paint that thin.

Mainly quite a large bit underneath the rear cluster. Bit annoyed as hadn't noticed them before. I'll most probably be giving it a front end respray, but looks like I'll be adding the tailgate to the list.

Will see how things pan out. I promised myself I wouldn't go to mad on this one, but my anal side is starting to kick in.

Evo 5 RS
You really do lol. It's still a 56 plate car and done a fair bit of mileage on M roads so can't expect miracles, I just wish they put as much effort into the paint as they do engineering lol.

Mr R.

ClioSport Club Member
  A special one.
Being anal is born into us, we end up driving ourselves mental.

Cracking car mate. :)