ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Maynard's 172 Track Car Project

maynard

ClioSport Club Member
  ph2 172 track car
update.....

been and collected some new wheels today :)

there the ph1 172 15'' oz f1 wheels. bought from guillaume (cheers shaun!) down in hartley wintney, not too far from reading/basingstoke. was a 4 hour 230 mile round trip but i think it was well worth it.

wheels will be used for track use, and am going to repaint them a different colour not such which at the moment. set on orange, but anyone else got any suggestions?

anyways, here's some pics...

SL370127-1.jpg

SL370125.jpg

SL370126.jpg

SL370128.jpg

maynard

ClioSport Club Member
  ph2 172 track car
Re: Maynard's 172 Track Car Project - update!

right little update today.

booked my first trckday, went with motorsport vision and have booked for a renault sport evening at bedford in three weeks time. to say im exited like a kid at xmas is an understatement.

stuff to sort now:

clean wheels up
respray them (still dont know what colour - there only for track day use so need a mad colour!)
one new pe2 for the track wheels.
buy a helmet

talking of helmets can anyone recommend me one, ie do they have to be full face or half face?

Last edited:

maynard

ClioSport Club Member
  ph2 172 track car
little update.

got a a new pe2 sorted for the track wheels. £62 fitted i didnt think was too bad. thinking i may need another one as ill have uneven tread around the car. one being brand new and the other are worn down, id say 3-4 mm left on each of them.

ordered helmet at 1pm yesterday with demon tweeks, and it arrived at my desk at work this morning at 9 o'clock! great service again.

some pics of what arrived:

SL370131.jpg

SL370132.jpg

SL370133.jpg

maynard

ClioSport Club Member
  ph2 172 track car
after getting the new tyre sorted and the other wheels balanced last week, i decided to trial fit them tonight after work to make sure everything was a ok. took it out for a spin and the wheels feel different to my turinis ive got on for road use.

is it just me or when you when you've got smaller wheels on, and you feel like your doing abotu 30mph, the speedo reads around 35mph? is that normal?

anyways some pics, actually really like the look of them - maybe even more so then the turini's?!

SL370135.jpg

SL370136.jpg

SL370137.jpg

what do we all think?

maynard

ClioSport Club Member
  ph2 172 track car
Looks realy good mate. One thing that would realy bug me is not having the Renaultsport dials.

i dont mind to be fair, didnt even notice they were different until it was mentioned on here!

do you live in that new build apartment block opposite coleshill police station?? swear i recognise that car?

damn i have a stalker!!

yeah that's me. where you seen me?

maynard

ClioSport Club Member
  ph2 172 track car
yeah that's were i used to live. jesus. do you know nick at all by the off chance?

maynard

ClioSport Club Member
  ph2 172 track car
ah good to hear! still need the rest of the rear interior / belts sorting out. will drop you a text, see when your around.

maynard

ClioSport Club Member
  ph2 172 track car
well...

i did my first track day on the renaulsport evening at bedord last friday. was so much fun and probably the best £95 i've ever spent!

i was probably the slowest on track but i enjoyed it - which i suppose is all that matters :)

here's a dodgy pic, only one i really got of my car as the camera decided to pack up for good.

just an excuse to get a digital SLR me thinks ;)

19062009027.jpg

maynard

ClioSport Club Member
  ph2 172 track car
Shame i didnt get chance to say hello mate, 3 hours flys by

tbh, i hardly said hello to anyone when i was there. as you say there weren't much time in between out on track and cool down time!

was you in your car?

maynard

ClioSport Club Member
  ph2 172 track car
little update tonight..

got the bedford autodrome renault cd through today with the pics on it from last month. here's a few of mine.

_ZZZ5816.jpg

_ZZZ6021.jpg

_ZZZ6022.jpg

more updates tomorrow, when i have finished stripping!

maynard

ClioSport Club Member
  ph2 172 track car
i didn't think they were to bad to be fair, then again i no pretty much nout about photography!

i'd imagine they would be sent out al together, shadowness did you send them an e-mail with your address on?

maynard

ClioSport Club Member
  ph2 172 track car
cheers for comments guys!

well stripped the rest out of the car yesterday/today so all done now. resistors put in, stray wires tied up with leccy tape. so now i've got all that done, just need to get the tar out and spray the inside so it looks a bit smarter! c&c welcome as always.

19072009036.jpg

19072009037.jpg

19072009038.jpg

19072009039.jpg

maynard

ClioSport Club Member
  ph2 172 track car
right nothing else has happened over last week or so!

just to let you all know where i am with some plans on what i need to get done.

- refurb/respray track wheels orange hopefully next couple weeks, weather dependant
- decide on what coilovers to go for - vmaxx or ktr ones - is it worth it? Or hold out forever to get some h&r's second hand when money is right?!
- new front brembo hc discs and ds2500 pads
- new rear discs and pads genuine renault
- paint calipers - still undecided so any suggestions?
- steering wheel - probably going to be a sparco suede wheel
- clean up rear interior, ie tar and loom, and respray
- decide on what to do with engine. - standard / 182 manifold,inlets,remap,cams? / itb's?

-J-

RS2'ed 172 Cup
Car looks good, Track wheels need to be a Lary colour.I have an 172 cup same colour as you and Green OZ Track wheels -
DSCN0069.jpg

Car looks sweet bud, stance looks well with that drop.
the orange pics look tidy, think you should go that way!

In response to an older query (please delete if dragging up something too old, just thought it maybe useful to other people who may have the same problem)
Not yet, Im trying to get hold of some bolts for the subframe to be attached to the car. It's proving difficuilt! I need the m8 high tensile ones like you have. Orderd some off ebay but they are only threaded half way. so no good.

If you ask for Set Screws they have the shank fully threaded, bolts have only part of the shank threaded.
Like Maynard says get M8 high tensile one, they should have 8.8 on the top at minimum. be wary of A2 stainless sold in screwfix/toolstation they are 5.6 and not realy up to spec for the forces on a car.

Sorry for the slight off-topic, keep up the good work :clap: