ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

MacBook Pro...... Sell it to me!

Have to say I'm not really feeling the love with my 13". Needs a better screen IMO. However, it's perfect for what it will be used for. Just not as a main laptop.

Gloss. It's just quite low resolution compared to what I'm used to. The fonts can look a bit fuzzy. Should have been 1440x900 for that size at least.

The Airs are higher res.

That screen will make its way over when the next update appears.

Probably seems worse because you have them side by side, Roy.

Christopher

ClioSport Club Member
  Z4M
The 11" looks mint.

The only thing that bugs me is the screen border. Looks terrible. It's the same as when you spec a MBP with the matte option.

MBP > Air.

Screen res isn't that important to me on something portable. Plus the Pro just looks better. Tacky silver side bits FTL!

eugegall

ClioSport Club Member
Before i pick up my 15" MBP up on Monday. People without Macs are telling me it’s pointless me getting one as I won’t use it properly?

As stated before i just need it for heavy internet usage and the odd bit of work? Is this ok do you think?

And Christopher I’m getting a standard 15" With 3 years cover for £1200.. I like to get things new to be honest? I won’t use it that much outside of the house but sometimes. So 15" Is the right choice i believe....

How are people without Macs in any position to give an opinion?

It probably is overkill. A £400 machine will work. But you pay for quality and you want nice things. If you can afford it, I don't see a problem.

A £200 Fiesta works just as well as a mode of transport as a Ferrari 430. Doesn't mean everyone buys Fiestas.

eugegall

ClioSport Club Member
Yeah im sold already. Like i said ill get it on monday. As long as the battery lasts long and the fan doesnt hiss at me while burning my leg then im in!!

J273

ClioSport Club Member
  RB 182
Still waiting on my fully loaded 11" Air which i orderd on release....Love small laptops even though im beginning to think the 13" would of been better.

I plan on going for a PRO once they are refreshed again....Im hoping they do dual storage option..Flash and a 2.5" bay ditching the super drive .

ChrisR

ClioSport Club Member
Before i pick up my 15" MBP up on Monday. People without Macs are telling me it’s pointless me getting one as I won’t use it properly?

As stated before i just need it for heavy internet usage and the odd bit of work? Is this ok do you think?

As people have said, on the face of it then yeah it's not worth it, why spend £1200 when a £300 laptop will do the same? But then why drive round in a nice car when something s**t will do the same?

You're paying for more than just a laptop with a Mac, you are paying for the brand, the design, the engineering etc, as well as 'just' the functionality of the machine.

Yeah there's a bit of scene/fashion tax on there as well, but if you can afford it why not?

I'm torn on what to get for my first Mac, I love the 11inch Air and keep popping into the Apple shop on my lunch breaks to have a play, but at £1150 specced up I can't ignore the 13inch Pro, or even the base model 13inch Air really.

Don't know which to get :(

Monaro VXR
13" pro would be where my money would go.

However even then I would say it is well worth stepping up to the 15". The 13" and smaller sizes are quite tedious to use in my opinion. I get physical pain using them from the little keyboards etc. Not really practical to carry around another keyboard either. Not to mention the screen size and resolution annoys me. I have a 13 inch one now. Really want to change it to a 17" but just don't have the cash right now.

Can then use the 13" for portability, 17" for desktop replacement and looking at getting a 27" iMac to go along with my windows machines. They all get used for different things and basically I need the screen real estate. Would probably end up wanting a 2nd 27" display with the iMac to be honest.

BMW M4; S1000 RR
What spec are you getting?

I got mine earlier this year and was just going to get the 13" but after using the anti-glare screen in Apple I ended up buying the base 15" with anti-glare. It's perfect in my opinion, but then I hate reflections on screen, some people can live with it.

After watching SSD comparison videos I do want to get an SSD for mine now, and might aswell upgrade ram to 8gb while I'm at it.

One thing I'll comment on about the heat. MBPs can run VERY hot. If the graphics and processor are doing anything remotely intensive then the temperature goes up (obviously) and because of the way MBP is designed the aluminium case acts like a radiator, quite cool really, but it means it gets super hot (too hot for bare skin) and then whenever you shutdown or goto the desktop, it takes about 10 seconds to cool right down. Amazing machines :)

ChrisR

ClioSport Club Member
It is, if I was getting a desktop replacement then a 15inch would be what I'd get.

But that's nto what I'm after, essentially it'll be used most of the time in teh same way as a netbook, albeit a very expensive one, plus as they are a bit beefier I can use it for a few more things when away etc.

Christopher

ClioSport Club Member
  Z4M
Yes. The keyboard is the same on all the MBP's. So's the trackpad.

The trackpad looks huge on the 13"

Monaro VXR
Ok then...I dislike all mac keyboards on the current gen machines.

They just aren't meant for people with big hands. It is just a case of form over function, bit like how they don't do a full size wireless keyboard any more. Which is just bloody stupid in my opinion.

I love the systems, but ergonomically their keyboards and mice leave a lot to be desired. The Magic Mouse is brilliant...it would be 10 times better if it was just a little higher though. I suppose if you have little hands they are fine. For me though I end up with sore wrists and fingers from having to use them.

Jason_E

ClioSport Club Member
  Elise, 530d
Ok then...I dislike all mac keyboards on the current gen machines.

They just aren't meant for people with big hands. It is just a case of form over function, bit like how they don't do a full size wireless keyboard any more. Which is just bloody stupid in my opinion.

I love the systems, but ergonomically their keyboards and mice leave a lot to be desired. The Magic Mouse is brilliant...it would be 10 times better if it was just a little higher though. I suppose if you have little hands they are fine. For me though I end up with sore wrists and fingers from having to use them.

I have big hangs and I can't type on anything else. In fact, one of the designs a lot of other manufacturers are starting to copy off apple is the keyboards! (e.g sony Vaio Laptops)

eugegall

ClioSport Club Member
Can the anti glare screen be fitted after iv got the laptop? Or is it something that can only be factorty?

Christopher

ClioSport Club Member
  Z4M
Yep. You specify matte or glossy.

Matte screens look awful because of the silver border around them. Ugh.