ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

MacBook Pro...... Sell it to me!

eugegall

ClioSport Club Member
It’s time for a new laptop. I currently have a £550 HP. It’s hardly lasted me 18months.

I only need it for general Internet/p**n abuse and the odd document.

My biggest problem is the price tag at £1000. Second biggest problem is it not having "Word" or "Excel" How do you guys get over this?

Lastly the problems I’ve had with my laptop is s**t battery life! The fan goes man and sounds annoying. And i get 3rd degree burns on my legs.

Getting a MBP.. Would this resolve all of my problems? Also can i play java on it?

Thanks guys

Build quality is worth the price alone. You can get Word and Excel with either Office for Mac or iWork (Apples own version)

My MacBook is as silent as a mouse pretty much all the time. I did some video editing on it the other day and that was the first time I have heard the fan on it in over 12 months of ownership. Battery seems as good as it was when new so around 4 - 5 hours for web browsing.

Also the multi Touch trackpad beats anything on any laptop ever.

Brookie.

ClioSport Club Member
I got my MBP around a year ago and also had doubts, these were automatically cleared when I started using it.

Everything is fast, no matter what you're doing. Takes around 15-20 seconds to boot up and you're away.
Battery life of 7 hours, depending on what you're doing. I normally see 5-7.

And you're biggest problem is not a problem at all. Microsoft office is available for mac. I have it on mine! Best of both worlds ;)

It would resolve all of your problems, and last you a hell of a long time. It does sound expensive, but over the time you have it you will probably go through about 2-3 laptops. Maybe more.

It all evens out ;)

eugegall

ClioSport Club Member
Thanks guys. Very happy to hear i can get Microsoft office for Mac. My friend is the manager of PC World too which helps. I think he can get me 12% off Apple. So i could get one for under £900.

Whats the standard deal with Apple. Does it cover a year? Or longer?

Thanks again

I got mine back in August, and im soo glad I bought it... My student discount sealed the deal for it aswell ;)

I already hate going back onto a Windows computer when im at Uni and work etc.
The Trackpad is awesome! Actually, everything about it makes it a million times better than a Laptop.

Dafthead

ClioSport Club Member
  MB EQC
Standard Apple Protection is 1 year, you can extend it to 3.

Office 2011 has just come out, they've included Outlook this time too (on the business edition), instead of entourage.

Buy, you will love it.

SchwepTek™
Find a "student" friend and get 15% off and 3 years applecare protection for £50. (normally £200)

eugegall

ClioSport Club Member
Find a "student" friend and get 15% off and 3 years applecare protection for £50. (normally £200)

This makes me happy. Im pretty sure he will just do this deal for me anyway. We play poker together weekly lol. I wonder if he actually needs a student card number or something?

SchwepTek™
They dont use the number but it can only be done in apple store not pc world!

Office:Mac 2011 has just come out too. Good stuff!

Waitey

ClioSport Club Member
  Alpina D3, AC Cobra
This makes me happy. Im pretty sure he will just do this deal for me anyway. We play poker together weekly lol. I wonder if he actually needs a student card number or something?

Yes oddly to get a student discount you have to be a student....

Turn on, wait a few seconds... and your all go and surfing the net! No waiting ages for poxy windows too boot up!

eugegall

ClioSport Club Member
Turn on, wait a few seconds... and your all go and surfing the net! No waiting ages for poxy windows too boot up!

Sold to be honest. Keeps telling me more about what it can do. Can i play java videos?

Mk4 .:R32
My Mrs got one recently as she did have a 4 year old laptop that took about 10 minutes to load up.

She got student discount, she got it upgraded to a 320GB hard-drive and 3 years applecare, and it came to about £940.

Pretty good going really!

Office 11 is great but there is one slight drawback.

With previous offices you got entourage included as a mail client, regardless of which version you bought. The only exclusion was that you couldnt synch the home/student version with an exchange server, so you couldnt buy it cheap to use at work.

Office 11 home/student comes with no email client at all, so you are stuck with crappy mail or the alright thunderbird as your client. It does come with outlook but you get a 90 day trial to get you hooked.

I have to say, Outlook on the mac is excellent and I can see why they didnt include it on the cheaper version, but since they have always included a client in the past, its a bit of a kick in the balls.

Before i go out and do this do you guys think its worth taking out the 3 years? I say yes?

Defiantly. We got loads of macs at work and the 'repair bill' if something goes wrong can be almost the price of a new unit. Fortunately with apple care the cost is waived.

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
Before i go out and do this do you guys think its worth taking out the 3 years? I say yes?

Are you going to get student discount?

I'd offer to do it for you, but I'm doing it myself. I may be able to ask a friend though?

Oh and one question from me,

What are torrents like for mac?

i.e is it possible to aquire "a picture of a goldfish" in the same way it is for pc?

Last edited by a moderator:

Jason_E

ClioSport Club Member
  Elise, 530d
It’s time for a new laptop. I currently have a £550 HP. It’s hardly lasted me 18months.

I only need it for general Internet/p**n abuse and the odd document.
Pretty much what I use mine for, great thing is it takes it like a trooper.

My biggest problem is the price tag at £1000. Second biggest problem is it not having "Word" or "Excel" How do you guys get over this?
By installing Word and Excel

Lastly the problems I’ve had with my laptop is s**t battery life! The fan goes man and sounds annoying. And i get 3rd degree burns on my legs.
Battery on my MBP is always good. Fan seems to go mad if it's sitting on my bed and doing something Like playing a video, so basically smothering it under load.

Getting a MBP.. Would this resolve all of my problems? Also can i play java on it?
Yes, yes, And yes. If you don't buy one you're gay.
Thanks guys

Done, and done.

eugegall

ClioSport Club Member
Lol thanks all. Just got back from PC World............................ Without the laptop.

Decided that i need the 15" one and not the 13". Well i dont NEED the bigger one but i want it. I cant say how much but i can get a much bigger discount on monday so im waiting till then and im sold. On monday ill have a 15" MBP. So im not gay!

Best laptops in our solar system, bar nothing. Fact. I have the 17" and 13" and they're both immense.

For mail I use Sparrow.

eugegall

ClioSport Club Member
Why cant i just log into Hotmail for my email? Can someone please explain wy everyone is talking baout which mail they use?

Why cant i just log into Hotmail for my email? Can someone please explain wy everyone is talking baout which mail they use?

LOL you can do anything you want with your mail. There's dozens of options. I personally roll with two gmail accounts. One personal and one business. Sparrow is ideal for me. It's free, so I can have it on both my machines, and it means I don't have to open Safari. It syncs perfectly, shows an indicator of unread messages in the task bar etc. etc. Just perfect for my use. No matter what client you decide to use, I promise you one thing - everything you do on your Mac will be a much nicer experience.

Jason_E

ClioSport Club Member
  Elise, 530d
People who use Hotmail are usually 14. Gmail is a winnar.

"Stop saying HELLA!"

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
Don't change your mail and just forward it onto gmail then... lol!

But you wouldn't regret changing to gmail.

Tom, cheers, I've been wondering about the goldfish situation for quite some time.