ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

knocking on hard acceleration

Did you replace it with a renault or uprated one? Interested to know how a new renault one feels compared to a knackered one.

The knocking has completely gone. Other than that no difference, maybe slightly more vibration if I drive with my hand on the gear lever. But it's so small I could be imagining it.

Renault one from Renault, lol. 40 quid.

In between cars....
Im just going to replace all the engine mounts on mine i think, hoping it cures the stupid knock, think itll be about 150 for a set

Mazda 323f 2.0 sport
a think al just do the same,better to be safe.how hard is it to replace,is it something i could do myself?? never really worked on renaults before.

In between cars....
Sure it cant be to difficult if you have a jack or an engine hoist, mate of mine has a hoist so ill nip round there

RichCup

ClioSport Club Member
Im just going to replace all the engine mounts on mine i think, hoping it cures the stupid knock, think itll be about 150 for a set

Think it's a bit more than that mate, I was told about 170 with trade discount IIRC.

RS RIP
i do'nt want to raid on y'alls parade but i have changed the mounts all round (yes four of them) and guess what ?

Mine still knocks !!

get used to it. Design fault , too little space for engine movement
The best way is too just pull the engine forward every now + then and re-adjust.
Good thing for me changing the mounts is the responsiveness of the car in curves + throttle reaction etc has improved

RichCup

ClioSport Club Member
The knocking has completely gone. Other than that no difference, maybe slightly more vibration if I drive with my hand on the gear lever. But it's so small I could be imagining it.

Renault one from Renault, lol. 40 quid.

Cheers, think I'll go with an uprated one, should improve the wobbly gearbox!

Clio 182
Did you get this sorted in the end..... (paranoid about a knocking noise now and goes out to check if there is one)

200bhp 172 cup
i have the 182 manifold on my 172 cup and also have the uprated dog bone mount + bushes but i get terrible exhaust vibration at around 4k revs sounds like the exhaust is rubing against the car floorpan and also get the banging in 1st and 2nd:S

do you think it could be the other mounts??

172 ph1
Besides the noise from the manifold hitting the car under hard acceleration in 1st gear, I hear a knock / soft bang each time I get on the throttle hard in the first few gears

I'm guessing that I'll need to get all 4 mounts looked at?

In between cars....
For anybody interested, I went along and priced the mounts at Renault

Top mount is £73.34
Upper GB is £30.41
Lower GB is £45.12
Dogbone is £39.36

£188 in total

If you get the lot from Ktec its £148 + £12 p&p

Worth a look at the K-Tec site, in the last couple days they have just added a couple of their own uprated mounts, think its the top mount and upper GB mount

Mazda 323f 2.0 sport
yeh a think mine are even more so buggered now,its every time a go on the throttle now a can hear a slight knock as if the engine is comin back towards the bulkhead.a had the same problem years ago in my old r19 16v(yes ok no slagging here) was cheap lol,but due to the mounts bein fucked,turned a corner and gave it beans the driveshaft exploded.was well pissed off.

In between cars....
Yeah im getting it when i put the foot down even a little in first and second

Will order a set asap, not sure if there is a twisted or straight dogbone on my car though so will need to have a look first, just want to get them ordered and changed now, tis annoying me that i can put the foot down

200bhp 172 cup
the most annoying thing on my car is when im accelerating hard it sounds like the exhaust is touching the underside of the car and its defningly loud! could this be engine mounts?? id does not do it under normal driving :(

megane 285 sport
you will probably find its the bushes on the dogbone mount, i had same knocking noise when booting it, changed the bushes to the ktec uprated ones and never had the problem since, didnt evn have excessive vibration either.

200bhp 172 cup
you will probably find its the bushes on the dogbone mount, i had same knocking noise when booting it, changed the bushes to the ktec uprated ones and never had the problem since, didnt evn have excessive vibration either.

i have the ktec uprated dogbone bushes this is why im worried :dapprove:

Clio RS 172
Im also in the 172 group that have this problem.
I have the ph1 172, and changed the dogbone mount to the upgraded version from K-tech (non twisted one)
And it went from knocking at high reves in 1st gear to growling (the constant noise) in 1st+2nd gear under hard acceleration. Going to try to change the last 3 and see what happens.

And price in Denmark for the big upper mount is £140 alone :p So ktech here i come :p

ps. (they wanted £140 for the dogbone also)

b/g 182, meg tourer
its not just 172's
i get it in my 182 also. will try pulkling the engine forward and re-tightning tho

has anyone got any of these 'GpN' mounts on order from KTEC? i'm trying to imagine why the gearbox one is more expensive than the top engine mount; would also be really interesting to read reports after they've been run for a little while

200bhp 172 cup
starting to think the whole problem of this loud vibration when im booting it is being caused by the uprated dog bone mount!! its hard to describe but it sounds like the exhaust is touching the firewall and its growling/resonating like fuk!! from around 4k-7k revs the bushes are purple are they the same as the yellow ones in terms of stiffness?? i bought the car with this mount fitted so i have no idea what its like with the standard dogbone bushes unless i buy a complete standard dogbone. hmmmmm confussed :S

Last edited:
  Mazda 323f 2.0 sport
could be the positioning the engine sits at now with your new mounts,could of moved the exhaust onto something,hence the vibration noise.but thats just a thought.

In between cars....
Does the mk2 ph2 have a straight or twisted dogbone?

By the time i get done at work its dark so cant check

Right i need you guys to clarify some things for me.

I get a knocking noise when going round corners fast, and when it looses traction (like going over a bump) intermitently. Is this due to the engine mounts?

I also get a rubbing noise when i accelerate hard in 1st and 2nd, im guessing this is down to the dog bone mount being broken/perished?

Dickie 172 Cup - Did you get your steering rack replaced? Because i had my car on the ramps the other day, and theres some play on the wheels on both sides. When we followed the vibrations of the wheels, it goes up the track rod arms, and into a rubber gaiter thats connected to the steering rack. A mechanic was saying that theres maybe a mount inside that rubber gaiter thats perishing giving the movement on the wheels...

It just want to know whats makes these noises because its horrible to drive when you want to drive it a little bit harder.

Any help would be much appreciated as otherwise im probably end up spending another £500 on parts, mounts and bushes to try and rectify the problem when theres just one simple fix!

Cheers
Nick

Clio Sport 172
I tried the engine moving trick, but all I could move was the collar around the upper engine mount, not the position of the mount itself. I cut a short length of 1 inch heater hose, squashed it flat and jammed it between the mount and the rear part of the collar (where the small red arrow is in the photo someone posted above). This made a dramatic difference, not only has the knocking gone, I can feel that the engine is not moving so much on acceleration.
The car only has 26,000km (16,000 miles) so I don't think I will be replacing it with another sh*t Renault part that will have to be replaced again in another 16,000 miles. I'll probably get the K-tec mount eventually, but it's worth trying the rubber hose before you go and spend heaps.

Clio RS 172
I've gotten the new mount from Ktech, the big one.. And i moved the engine forward, but still got THE noice.. Then i found out it was the rear exhaust mount that went on the "holder" of the exhaust.. so today i pushed the engine towards the cabin, and it worked.. no more ARGH sound for me..