ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

knocking on hard acceleration

Mazda 323f 2.0 sport
when giving it some in 1st it kind of goes bang bang bang,any ides,was thinking engine mounts,car is 172 cup.it goes to the garage next week but dont want them hittin excuses like its the heatshield.

Megane Trophy, Golf
Could be the mounts! try undoing mounts and pulling engine forward, should do the trick if they not worn! ;)

Add me 2 ur PS3 - Lylak
That will do the trick mate, done it on mine.

New passenger side mount your looking at £70, and for the gearbox linkage your looking at £40.

I'd rather try pulling the engine forward (get a pal to help) than pay the extra out (even though I ended up doing both due to only finding out about this trick after buying the mounts).

Add me 2 ur PS3 - Lylak
Yeah, basically there is a mount on the left as you look at the engine from the front of the car with four bolts around it.

Loosen all 4 bolts, get someone to pull the engine by grabbing the back of the engine (nearest the windscreen) towards the front of the car.

Pull it as far as possible, get your mate to hold it there whilst you tighten the top left, bottom right, top right and bottom left bolts (in that order preferebly).

Heres a pic that was in a thread (http://www.cliosport.net/forum/showthread.php?t=348491&highlight=engine) that I asked about the same problem before.

The picture is a bit confusing as the small arrows indicate to increase the gap between the metal and the rubber bracket, therefore decreasing the gap on the other side which is what you're meant to do.

DSC00269.jpg

Mazda 323f 2.0 sport
ah i see, cheers m8,a take it this seems to be a common problem with them,heard a few people complain about mounts.

Clio 172
mine was doing the same ended up that a bolt that the gearbox was holded onto the chassie the nut was loose and was knocking

Mazda 323f 2.0 sport
just got car back from arnold clark today, they say that its something to do with the steering and they cant fix it today because its saturday,they will phone on monday,av a feeling they are trying to hold off until my parts and warrantly labour run out next week.c***s.

In between cars....
Long as theyve been made aware there is a problem your warrenty and that is fine, my car does this knocking noise, ill give this a blast, cheers!

In between cars....
Would have said more of a knock than a bang :p but yeah thats what mines doing, going to try the mount thing tonight, old fella is gonna give me a hand, how easy is pulling the engine forward?

RS RIP
Exhaust-manifold is hitting the subframe , this is the knocking you hear. Next time you're under the car, see how much space there is between the two.. think it's only like 5mm or so

Mazda 323f 2.0 sport
car was in at arnold clark again 2nyt,they say it needs a full steering rack,its goin in for a new one,(dont worry) am not paying for it,its getting charged to the sales team a bought the car from.a still cant c how the rack would make this noise but am not gonna complain.

182 FF
did the steering rack not make any difference then? stupid garage, sometimes I really do wonder what we pay them for!!(or in your case dont pay them lol)

Mazda 323f 2.0 sport
well it didnt make the knocking noise in the dry so a thot it was fixed.then 1st bit of wetness and bit of quick accelaration bang bang.dont know how they cudnt figure it out,a did say to them suspected engine mounts.apparantly rack was fucked.

Renault clio 1.4 16v
i bet its the gear box mounting under the battery tray just come lose iv done loads of these when i worked at renault. happens when you put your foot down or brake hard

Vectra 1.9 CDTi SRi 150
Exhaust-manifold is hitting the subframe , this is the knocking you hear. Next time you're under the car, see how much space there is between the two.. think it's only like 5mm or so

I asked a Renault Technician about this and he said it was a common fault, something that most on here over look due being obsessed with engine mounts:S

monaco172 and ph1 172
wheel spin on a 172 cup can cause the knocking its the struts been down this route before nothing you can do about it if i remember correctly

Clio Sport 172
I have the same problem, tried to move the engine forward today. The metal part around the rubber mount can be moved, but it makes no difference to the engine position. Is the plate below this supposed to move to, seems like it's pegged to the body somehow and it has small lugs sticking up that limit the movement of the upper metal part. I'll post a photo later to explain what I mean.

Trophy #473
The banging will be 'axle tramp' when your wheel spinning.

Any Vibration on hard acceleration (without wheel spinning)(this mostly happens in 1st) will be due to worn mounts causing the exhaust manifold to come into contact with the subrame making a loud 'vibrating' 'rubbing' noise.

you know what, im going to make a video of both noises this evening as mine does it!

Mazda 323f 2.0 sport
al try get a vid made up of mine,if even slight wheelspin in any gear it does it,very annoying,sounds as if its goin to fall to bits.

Renaultsport
The banging will be 'axle tramp' when your wheel spinning.

Any Vibration on hard acceleration (without wheel spinning)(this mostly happens in 1st) will be due to worn mounts causing the exhaust manifold to come into contact with the subrame making a loud 'vibrating' 'rubbing' noise.

you know what, im going to make a video of both noises this evening as mine does it!

this is happening on mine to! so which mount is it that needs replacing? the top one or all of them? and once replaced will it stop the knocking? i had a quick look under mine and i can see recent marks on the heat sheild were the manifold has obviously been hitting it.

You need to check the mounts visually. Mine was doing same as yours. It sounded like axle tramped/wheel spin bounce but definitely wasn't. On inspection the twisted dog bone underneath looked suspect, all the others looked fine. Replaced the dog bone and it is fine now.

Clio 200
You need to check the mounts visually. Mine was doing same as yours. It sounded like axle tramped/wheel spin bounce but definitely wasn't. On inspection the twisted dog bone underneath looked suspect, all the others looked fine. Replaced the dog bone and it is fine now.

mine was making the same noise - pick up the dog bone mount on monday so will hope that will solve the problem.

2 new front shocks on monday

remap on monday

new exhaust system on monday

at least it will be a not bad monday lol

RichCup

ClioSport Club Member

Did you replace it with a renault or uprated one? Interested to know how a new renault one feels compared to a knackered one.

I'm posting these links just for the pictures, though I guess it'll give you an idea of price too:

http://www.k-tecracing.com/show_product.asp?id=2471

In the above picture you have, going from left to right: gearbox top mount, under the battery, engine top mount, open the bonnet you can't miss it (top of the engine opposite side to gearbox) and the gearbox bottom mount that is hidden between the bottom of the gearbox and the subframe, you have to take the engine undertray off to see it.

http://www.k-tecracing.com/show_product.asp?id=1485

The above is a picture of the twisted dog bone. Note I bought a genuine Renault one for 40 quid from Renault. This is visible without removing the engine under tray. If you look under the car just behind the front left wheel. On mine the rubber on the smaller bush was obviously split.