ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Kit car wheel falls off while driving - VIDEO

UR R26R.5, VW Golf R
Put that together well then.

LOL @ him just looking at it rolling alongside him.

Waitey

ClioSport Club Member
  Alpina D3, AC Cobra
I don't get that, if the studs were loose it'd be vibrating like buggery before it came off.

Plus Helmet and Screen = Woman.

sbridgey

ClioSport Club Member
  disco 4, 182, Meglio
I wound the video back looking for a wobbly steering wheel, seems odd to me

He claims wheel studs fell out moments after a slight wheel wobble. No damage to speak of though so very lucky whatever caused it.

F27, VW R32, Defende
Hello, this is me in the video, I found this topic after googling to show a friend what happened...

Put that together well then...

It was factory built and is looked after and maintained very well. The wheels had been balanced the previous day, and they obviously hadn't tightened the nuts on that wheel properly.

I don't get that, if the studs were loose it'd be vibrating like buggery before it came off.

Plus Helmet and Screen = Woman.

As you can see on the video if you look at the steering wheel, there was no real vibration, just a slight wobble like a wheel weight had fallen off...

And I'm sure you can forgive me the helmet; it was bloody snowing!!! Plus it's a pretty dangerous road so I'd rather be thought of as a 'women' than end up dead!

Overall very lucky, and if me putting this video online makes just one person check their wheel nuts and stop this from happening to them then it was worth it.

Swift Sport
I had a garage that accidentally fitted the wrong wheel bolts the day before a trackday, the wheel worked its way loose on track. Very scary!

Jason_E

ClioSport Club Member
  Elise, 530d
I've felt a wheel wobble before, stopped, and found my wheel to be held in by two bolts that were almost wound all the way out. Since then I've been pretty careful with tightening bolts...

sbridgey

ClioSport Club Member
  disco 4, 182, Meglio
I've felt a wheel wobble before, stopped, and found my wheel to be held in by two bolts that were almost wound all the way out. Since then I've been pretty careful with tightening bolts...

I have done exactly this too.

Marky_

ClioSport Club Member
Most of the wheel/tyre places I've been to always give you a reminder to check the bolts over the next few days as a caveat for something like this happening.

Glad to hear no real damage was done and it happened at such a slow speed!

Was that a wheel spacer found at the opposite side of the road?

Same happened to me on track, but I heard the wheel studs leaving the wheel. Parked it after the third one of four flew out.

F27, VW R32, Defende
I have to say, that is a rather funny video. Loose the screen though ;)

I considered an aero screen, but I do a lot of driving on roads and motorways, and don't usually wear a helmet. If I didn't have a screen it would be rubbish as I would have to wear a helmet all the time and not be able to talk to passengers

Hope you don't mind me reposting the video.

Not at all ;)

Was that a wheel spacer found at the opposite side of the road?

Same happened to me on track, but I heard the wheel studs leaving the wheel. Parked it after the third one of four flew out.

Yes it was the spacer that was at the other side of the road. Luckily I saw it bouncing along out of the corner of my eye