ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Kenny's Kup

Cup In bits
Cheers for the link, I couldn't find for love nor money when I ordered fitting's. Now Ordered

I thought they looked like Goodridge ££'ssssssssssssss. That's what all the classic cars are using to give an understated look. Hopefully my ptfe torques stuff will be good enough, does the 811 fittings seal with an olive placed between the overbraid and ptfe inner pipe as well?

Audi A6 & 172 Cup
No worries

I know a few guys using the Torques stuff, apart from one guy having some trouble assembling it, which turned out the hose i.d was right on the limit of being undersize and the fittings right on the limit of being oversize, the guy exchanged everything for him foc I think and it's been fine as far as I know.

I used the black silver combination years ago when I built an Impreza, I liked the look of it so was keen to do it again if I could.

There's no olive, the ferrule pushes over the end of the hose and then the fitting screws into it, imagine this is similar for most of not all the ptfe type hoses of this size.

Audi A6 & 172 Cup
I'm still working away at it ;)

I did make some progress over the holidays but nothing really worthy of an update. I was hoping to get some parts before everywhere shut down but unfortunately wasnt to be. Everything I ordered should be there by now so once I get home next week I'll get on with it.

Some of the jobs lined up at the moment:

Run brake lines through the car

Assemble the rear beam and fit

Finish off the main switch/relay/breaker panel and start looking at wiring some of it up

Speak to suspension guy and try to press ahead with a final spec and get it made

Plus a few hundred other wee things lol, ill try make a decent update next week.

Audi A6 & 172 Cup
Wee update, Still waiting on the brake line to arrive, bit of a mix up on that one, now being sent from Goodridge place in Germany!

Meantime Ive been progressing with the dash and the switch panel,

Warning lights
image-1_zps634e251b.jpg

Oil pressure warning will be in the main instrument pod, main switch panel is coming along well, now ready for paint and assembly. Got all the wire and most of the other components, just the connectors to buy but there's enough to get on with for now.

clio 172
got to hand it to you, the workman ship that hs gone into this car is unreal, proper amazed by everything you have done !!! deffo should be proud of your selfs

Audi A6 & 172 Cup
Switchpanel is now finally nearing completion, or at least the physical aspect of actually making it is, still need to wire it all up!
I had it in primer at the begining of the week but decided I didnt like all the wee riveted bits of aluminium so it got attacked with the grinder!
It's now made from thin steel so it could be tacked on and filled. It's a wee bit heavier than it was but I can live with that as I'm quite pleased with how it turned out.

In primer after being rebuilt

IMG_0421_zpsd9fd524c.jpg

3 coats of satin black

IMG_0426_zps836bd6e1.jpg

Circuit breaker panel fitted

IMG_0428_zps6ef98878.jpg

Most of the switches installed

IMG_0443_zps7de1e4da.jpg

IMG_0436_zps79fa257a.jpg

Still need to attach the other relay ident panel on the the righthand side, install the breakers and then I can make a start at wiring some of it up.

The plan is to have virtually all the wiring and components on this panel bar the ECU which will be on the bulkhead directly infront of it. The bracket at the back with the 3 holes in it is for some Mil-Dtl-38999 connectors. Which means I can wire this up with it sat on the bench in front of me and if anything ever goes wrong all you have to do is unplug it, disconnect the main power cable, remove a few bolts and lift the whole thing out the car rather than lie upside down with your head stuck under the dash.

Cheers,

Kenny.

Amazing! That dash is superb. Me and my dad made a custom dash in my dads R5 turbo race car so I can apprechate the time and effort that has gone into it.

Best race car build on here imo. Stunning build quality and a real credit to you.

Cup In bits
Some skills Kenny and patience's of a saint to pull that off. I have honestly seen worse fitted to works car's.

Im guessing your swapping out those pozi drive self tappers on dash top?

Audi A6 & 172 Cup
Cheers guys,
To my downfall sometimes though, take too freegin long to do stuff!!

They're actually M4 machine screws ;) but yeah, I may swap them for countersunk allen srews, although a pozi driver is probably easier to find than a tiny allen key!

Audi A6 & 172 Cup
Not really a huge amount to show but there's been quite a lot of progress on various things.

Electrics:

I've finally finished the wiring diagrams for the ECU and the other car related stuff. Also made up termination diagrams for the various connectors so it should make assembling it all pretty easy.
I've ordered up all the connectors and materials I need to make the looms, gone for Amphenol 38999 series III for the important stuff and Deutsch DT & DTM for various other connections. Most of it should be here tomorrow but some of it is on back order from the states which will be another 3-4 weeks.
The entire car will be wired in Raychem Type44 16&20awg with the exception of the battery cables and alternator charge output wiring.

Brakes:

Martijn Kool supplied me with some really clean front and rear calipers, just need a quick degrease and paint and they're ready to fit.

I've started running in the brakelines. Using goodridge stainless hardline where ever possible. First time i've used this stuff but it's actually really good to work with. It's annealed so it bends and shapes nicely and can be flared no problem with a good quality tool. It uses 37deg jic type flares as apposed to regular 45 deg used on steel or kunifer tubing. Still waiting on the fittings to arrive, hopefully here by the end of the week.

IMG_0498_zps6e659b8e.jpg

IMG_0499_zps857099ea.jpg

Fire extinguisher:

Got a cracking deal on a Lifeline Zero 360 2.25kg kit which I couldnt refuse. I could have got a foam based kit at an equally good price but while they might be enough to satisfy the regs they dont do that well at putting out a fire, in reality they just buy you time to get out the car, for the extra £150 odd quid it seemed a small price to pay for a system that stands a half decent chance of knocking out a fire.

Firing box installed

IMG_0502_zpsc1a89dad.jpg

Bottle mounted

IMG_0507_zpse6dc0b4f.jpg

Suspension:

Got some news from the guy who's designing the suspension, sizes and specs are all sorted, just some minor details to confirm and they'll be ready to build, probably be another 4-6 weeks, once i've paid for them!

Drivetrain:

Sourced some new cup racer GKN front CV joints for a very reasonable price. Indications are that they are indeed the right parts so I'll need to look at getting some shafts made with Clio/Laguna inner CV/trilobes.

Last edited:
  Audi A6 & 172 Cup
Re: Nylon steering rack bushes

Not really an update as such, just trying to gauge interest in this.

Ive spoken to R-Sport and they seem to think the race cars just ran the standard rubber sleeves.

If I can get an idea of how many folk would potentially be interested in some nylon rack bushes I've got a guy who's able to make them. Ideally would like to be able to offer them at around £40-50 for a pair (4 half shells) but this really depends on the numbers, obviously the more he's making the cheaper the unit price will be. If I can do them cheaper I will.

The Chubby Pirate

ClioSport Club Member
  Golf R
Just had a wee nose through your build Kenny, very good workmanship - always good to see it done properly!

Will we be seeing it at Knock hill this year?

NorthloopCup

ClioSport Moderator
Re: Nylon steering rack bushes

Not really an update as such, just trying to gauge interest in this.

Ive spoken to R-Sport and they seem to think the race cars just ran the standard rubber sleeves.

If I can get an idea of how many folk would potentially be interested in some nylon rack bushes I've got a guy who's able to make them. Ideally would like to be able to offer them at around £40-50 for a pair (4 half shells) but this really depends on the numbers, obviously the more he's making the cheaper the unit price will be. If I can do them cheaper I will.

I'd be interested in a set of these Kenny.

Renault 5 Turbo
Haven't been on cs for a while now, but the progress you've made with this car is fantastic Kenny, hat off to you sir this is the kind of level i want to build my car too, and will use it as a yard stick :hail: nice one :drunk:

Audi A6 & 172 Cup
Cheers for the comments and interest in the rack bushes.

I have said to the machine shop that I would probably take about 6 sets initially so it looks like I'm just about there. When he gets back to me with pricing based on that number I'll see where we are and how many more folk are interested.

Would the bushes fit a standard 172 rack Kenny?

Yes, they will be a direct swap for the standard parts. My car has a standard rack and brackets etc.

Just had a wee nose through your build Kenny, very good workmanship - always good to see it done properly!

Will we be seeing it at Knock hill this year?

Cheers Danny, depending on when I get it finished, i'd quite like to get it out there for a trackday before the end of the year, just to see if anything falls off before having a go at some sprints and hills next season.

Audi A6 & 172 Cup
Is anything really necessary?

If I can get them made for a reasonable price I don't see that they can do any harm.

Audi A6 & 172 Cup
How time flies, no wonder this thing is taking so freeking long to build :(
As if I wasnt busy enough, I ended up having to go back offshore to cover for someone, that combined with some courses, looking for a house and countless other stuff i've had feck all time left to get any productive work done on this.

Anyway rant over lol

Rack bushes for those who expressed an interest. The last time I spoke to the guy at the machine shop, he had bought the material and was going to make the first pair and then get back to me with a price, he's mega busy so I've not been wanting to add any pressure, ill give it till the end of next week then see where he's at.

Engine bay fire ext lines partly installed, once all the big stuff is in the engine bay, i'll pick the best route and position for the nozzles.

image-1_zps6d7ea9fa.jpg

Wiring loom connectors mounted in a wee ally plate, x2 on the left are for the engine, injectors,coils,sensors etc and the other is for all chassis related stuff, lights, fan, wheel sensors etc
The two looms will be kept completely separate making engine removal easier.

image-1_zps2d07f664.jpg

Fire Ext lines and control wiring run in

image-1_zps0ee48869.jpg

Had this designed and made by AH fabrications.
It has x3 ball valves in it which allow fuel in but not out. I've tested it by sitting it in a shallow tray with some petrol and sloshing it about, it's quite impressive how much it manages to gather up. Once it's in there it doesn't come out with a fight. Time will tell how well it works and how low I can run on fuel. The lift pump can run dry continuously for 30 mins so it wont do it any harm if it gets air, as long as it sees enough fuel to keep the pot topped up.

IMG_0594_zps97858944.jpg

IMG_0599_zps871736fd.jpg

And just before I called it a night, I made a start on wiring up the switch panel, this may take a few hours! but it's actually quite therapeutic.

image_zpsff437194.jpg

Audi A6 & 172 Cup
I've just sent Lars a message, I bought a few other things at the same time and forget exactly what the price was for this, around £150 i think but I also supplied the check valves. May seem a bit expensive for something that looks simple but there's actually quite a bit of time involved in making it. The top plate was machined from a piece of aluminium stock and has a wee grove/lip cut in it to ensure the tank seal is properly located.
The check valves where from Pro-Alloy iirc

Audi A6 & 172 Cup
It might work well enough to be able to run the injection pump from it but I've opted to run an external swirl pot too.